Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Da Kine Music Gear
 Devine Guitars
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Cscapes
Aloha

USA
6 Posts

Posted - 01/17/2007 :  06:37:44 AM  Show Profile  Visit Cscapes's Homepage
Aloha everyone,

I'm new to this forum and to the slack key style. I have been playing guitar for 18 years but have recently learned to love and appreciate the sound and skill involved in this kind of playing.

I just recently bought Keola Beamers The Art Of Hawiian Slack Key Guitar on DVD and I am really eating this stuff up. I'm currently about 2/3 of the way through Ku'u Lei Awapuhi Melemele and I'm so excited about finishing it and bringing the whole thing up to speed. I've really become a big fan of the F wahine tuning.

Now my to my question. I'm looking for a good slack key style guitar but I do want it to be able to handle strumming as well. Kealo's guitar is nice and Steve Grimes is a great Luthier but $6,600 for that guitar is out of the question.

I have come across another good lutheir in Hawaii by the name of Eric Devine. He makes some really nice looking guitars and has a reasonable asking price (for me anyway)I've be concidering giving him a call and asking him to build a guitar that is already on his website, here is the link: http://www.devineguitars.com/GUITAR6A_000.htm

So tell me everyone, what do you think? Please remember I'm new to the style but have many years of playing under my belt (although mostly strumming and rock music) as well as knowledge of the acoustic guitar it's self.

Thanks!

Reid
Ha`aha`a

Andorra
1526 Posts

Posted - 01/17/2007 :  07:48:31 AM  Show Profile
Devine's instruments look interesting and he is obviously not afraid to be different - the Kasha bracing system is fairly controversial among luthiers, for instance. The prices are in the reasonable range for decent guitars, too. But, have you ever heard or played one or read about him on discussion boards? I haven't anywhere, except for a link I'll give you, and I am a guitar hawk. This is a thread mostly about Kasha that was triggered by a guy named Marc Durso who found Devine on the web and who spends his 99% of his life (the other 1% he plays a Goodall or Thompson) scouring the web for guitar stuff:

http://www.13thfret.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=264&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=devine&start=0

Now, don't let this turn you off totally, but you might find it nice to climb on a plane and fly to Maui, drive over to Lahaina, and try one (make sure he has a demo model). You would only be adding a grand or so to a multigrand purchase and you would have fun, too. Or maybe he could point you to somebody closer to where you live who has one and who would give you a trial run.

...Reid
Go to Top of Page

DeVineGuitars
Aloha

10 Posts

Posted - 01/17/2007 :  7:17:55 PM  Show Profile  Visit DeVineGuitars's Homepage
Hi all, Andy sent me an email about this forum, and I thought I would chime in.
I do have one steel string guitar that can be used to demo. And anyone coming to Maui is more then welcome to come try it out. On the subject of Kasha instruments, yes it is very controversial. Part of the reason being that for a short while Kasha guitars were put into production using poor materials and labor. Any guitar built in this way would leave a sour taste in your mouth. The Kasha guitar also has it's own sound, it is a different type of instrument. Some like the sound, some don't. Although I think you would be hard pressed to find someone that didn't like the sound of a well built Kasha guitar.
I have never done a Kasha steel string guitar, nor do I think I will. I don't think the tension of a steel is right for Kasha.
I would also just like to say That Steve Grimes is a fantastic luthier, a great peson and friend. He was the reason I started building in the first place, and his guitars are worth every penny.
I have kept my prices reasonable because I have not yet built a name for myself as Reid pointed out. Like Steve, I only do about 20-25 instruments a year. Most of which go to Japan.
If anyone has any other questions for me, feel free email or call.
Aloha-

http://www.devineguitars.com
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.09 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000