Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Performance/Event Announcements & Reviews
 DENNIS KAMAKAHI CA CONCERTS on FEBRUARY 3 & 6
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

naukilo
Lokahi

USA
103 Posts

Posted - 01/18/2007 :  2:01:05 PM  Show Profile  Visit naukilo's Homepage  Send naukilo an AOL message
Aloha Kakou,

I hope everyone is in good health and ready for a fantastic 2007 !!!
I'm looking forward to a short concert tour in February and several new projects to be released in 2007. Thanks to all my supporters on the 2 Grammy nominations for both the Legends of Hawaiian Slack Key Guitar and Hawaiian Slack Key Kings CDs.

AN EVENING IN HAWAII

February 3, 2007
Sunnyvale Performing Arts Center
550 E. Remington Dr.,Sunnyvale, CA
8:00pm
General Admission: $25, Students: $20

Box Office: (408) 733-6611
Monday-Friday August 1, 2005 to May 30, 2006, except City Holidays
4:30-6:30pm and two hours before all performances

Relax and spend an evening on “island time” with Hawaiian slack key guitarists Dennis Kamakahi and Patrick Landeza. One of Hawaii’s most prolific songwriters, Kamakahi has written some 400 ki ho’alu, or slack key, tunes, including the now-classic “Pua Hone” and “Wahine ‘Ilikea” and was featured on the soundtrack of Walt Disney’s Lilo & Stitch II movie. Landeza, who grew up in Berkeley with Hawaiian-born parents, is one of the up-and-coming generation’s star players and leading teachers. Colorful anecdotes, island legends and hula dancers add to the concert experience.

DON QUIXOTE'S INTERNATIONAL MUSIC HALL
PRESENTS-Hawaiian Songs & Slack Key Guitar

Tue Feb. 6 at 8pm
6275 Highway 9 in Downtown Felton, CA 95018

$14 adv/$16 door SEATED CONCERT – All AGES
Tickets and reservations at Don Quixote's
- call 831-603-2294

Hawaiian slack key guitar first evolved in the 1830s (predating the steel guitar genre by more than 60 years), when Mexican and Spanish cowboys, hired by King Kamehameha III to teach Hawaiians better ranching methods, brought guitars to entertain themselves. The Hawaiian cowboys, or paniolo , quickly adopted the guitar into their culture, calling it ki ho'alu , which literally translates into "loosen the key." Dennis David Kahekilimamaoikalanikeha Kamakahi is one of Hawai`i 's most prolific and popular songwriters. He is also a warm, evocative singer and a gifted guitarist firmly committed to the ki ho`alu (slack key) tradition. Dennis drew inspiration from many slack key masters, especially Gabby Pahinui, Atta Isaacs, Sonny Chillingworth , Leonard Kwan and Ray Kane . "They were the grandfathers of us all," Dennis says. "The majority of us learned from those five masters." www.denniskamakahiproductions.com/ COME EARLY FOR HAWAIIAN FEAST

Edited by - naukilo on 01/27/2007 09:21:00 AM

Mika ele
Ha`aha`a

USA
1493 Posts

Posted - 01/18/2007 :  4:57:57 PM  Show Profile
Uncle Dennis,
Will you be ofering your songwriting workshop in Southern California?

E nana, e ho'olohe. E pa'a ka waha, e hana ka lima.
Go to Top of Page

naukilo
Lokahi

USA
103 Posts

Posted - 01/18/2007 :  5:39:13 PM  Show Profile  Visit naukilo's Homepage  Send naukilo an AOL message
Aloha Mika'ele,

I won't be in Southern Cal at this year's workshop at Whittier due to a scheduling mixup.

Aloha,
Uncle D
Go to Top of Page

chunky monkey
Ha`aha`a

USA
1019 Posts

Posted - 01/19/2007 :  2:35:57 PM  Show Profile
Mr and Mrs Chunk are going holoholo to catch Uncle Dennis and Patrick in Sunnyvale. Lookng forward to running into other TPers.
Go to Top of Page

Julie H
Ha`aha`a

USA
1206 Posts

Posted - 01/19/2007 :  8:41:53 PM  Show Profile
Sorry Mr. and Mrs. Chunk, I would love to meet you and enjoy the concert with you, but as I usually decorate the stage at Don Quixote's for our Hawaiian friends, I'll get to see Uncle D up close and personal there. Maybe sometime we'll actually get to meet. Let's make plans for meeting in Hawai'i!

Julie

PS. I had the Kalua Pork dinner at Don Quixote's (a Mexican Restaurant) last night at Cindy Comb's concert, it was really good! Not so salty...
Go to Top of Page

alohakanakaluka
Lokahi

USA
135 Posts

Posted - 01/19/2007 :  8:57:20 PM  Show Profile  Visit alohakanakaluka's Homepage
I head they get their Kalua Pork from that place in Santa Cruz... The Aloha Island Grille! Da ONLY place that makes it... Jus' right! Ever heard of them Julie?
Hope all is well and we miss seeing you folks!
Timmy
Go to Top of Page

Julie H
Ha`aha`a

USA
1206 Posts

Posted - 01/20/2007 :  6:00:04 PM  Show Profile
Ah! Timmy, of course, I should have known....
You do make the best!

I'm sorry we live so far away from your beautiful little restaurant. Since we already drive two or more hours a day just to get to work and back, we don't often make it down your way. But we're always thinking of you.

Julie
Go to Top of Page

hawaiianmusiclover06
`Olu`olu

USA
562 Posts

Posted - 01/20/2007 :  11:04:37 PM  Show Profile  Visit hawaiianmusiclover06's Homepage  Send hawaiianmusiclover06 an AOL message  Click to see hawaiianmusiclover06's MSN Messenger address  Send hawaiianmusiclover06 a Yahoo! Message
quote:
Originally posted by alohakanakaluka

I head they get their Kalua Pork from that place in Santa Cruz... The Aloha Island Grille! Da ONLY place that makes it... Jus' right! Ever heard of them Julie?
Hope all is well and we miss seeing you folks!
Timmy

Kalua Pork sounds 'ono! Too bad I can't come to CA to see Dennis Kamakahi play. Sounds awesome. How are you Timmy? Please drop me an e-mail sometimes. Hope to hear from you.

Aloha Kakou, maluhia a me aloha mau loa (Hello everyone, peace and love forever)
Go to Top of Page

naukilo
Lokahi

USA
103 Posts

Posted - 01/22/2007 :  11:20:59 AM  Show Profile  Visit naukilo's Homepage  Send naukilo an AOL message
Aloha Tim,

WOW.....now I'm getting hungry..........hehehehe....looking forward to the food when I play there.

Aloha,
Uncle D
Go to Top of Page

alohakanakaluka
Lokahi

USA
135 Posts

Posted - 01/22/2007 :  12:32:10 PM  Show Profile  Visit alohakanakaluka's Homepage
Here you go Uncle! This is bettah!

Hope I get to see you while your in town!
e malama pono,
Timmy

Edited by - alohakanakaluka on 01/22/2007 12:33:31 PM
Go to Top of Page

naukilo
Lokahi

USA
103 Posts

Posted - 01/22/2007 :  3:30:05 PM  Show Profile  Visit naukilo's Homepage  Send naukilo an AOL message
MMMMMM....better yet.......ok so the New Year's Resolution is out the window....

Mahalo,
Uncle D
Go to Top of Page

hawaiianmusiclover06
`Olu`olu

USA
562 Posts

Posted - 01/25/2007 :  12:38:29 PM  Show Profile  Visit hawaiianmusiclover06's Homepage  Send hawaiianmusiclover06 an AOL message  Click to see hawaiianmusiclover06's MSN Messenger address  Send hawaiianmusiclover06 a Yahoo! Message
Eh, Timmy you make me hungry when you posted that picture of the kalua pig.... never ate kalua pig long time... send some home with Uncle Dennis...

Aloha Kakou, maluhia a me aloha mau loa (Hello everyone, peace and love forever)
Go to Top of Page

Mika ele
Ha`aha`a

USA
1493 Posts

Posted - 01/27/2007 :  11:59:48 AM  Show Profile
Timmy,
You need to open another restaurant in San Diego!

E nana, e ho'olohe. E pa'a ka waha, e hana ka lima.
Go to Top of Page

alohakanakaluka
Lokahi

USA
135 Posts

Posted - 01/27/2007 :  5:17:18 PM  Show Profile  Visit alohakanakaluka's Homepage
Like Franchise?! Buggah would be AWESOME down dea! Hope all is well down South! a hui hou,
Timmy
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.11 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000