Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Hawaiian Slack Key Guitar / Hawaiian Music
 My First Guitar
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

ohanabrown
Lokahi

281 Posts

Posted - 11/18/2002 :  11:27:38 AM  Show Profile
Aloha TaroPatch Ohana's:
I had such a good sleep today, And now it's 3am in the morning, and Im so wide awake, I decided to jump on the computer, and hopefully by the end of my story, I'll be ready for bed.

I wanted to share a story about my first guitar, That I owned. I guess if your not a musician you would say, My first Bike, or first Car. Anyway, I come from a family of musicians, My father played music almost all of his life, and so did his brothers, And uncles.

When I was growing up, because the musical instruments were very expensive, My Dad would'nt let us touch his instruments. He had a Martin Uke, Steel Guitar, And his favorite 6 string Epiphone Guitar.
Which he still has them all, Till today.

I have 3 brothers and 4 sisters. Every day my dad would line us all up and he would teach us to play the ukulele. That was the only time you could touch it, We each took a turn.( We're talking about back in the early 60's.) Well I was the one that had the "Tap's" on the head because I could never get it. So I told myself, When I grow up, Im never going to play the Uke. And this is where, The Guitar comes in.

The Guitar was my Dad's favorite instrument, Although he never played Slack key, He always told us, never to touch his guitar. It was given to him by an Uncle.(back to the old ways!) "Don't Touch". Well I never touched a guitar until my sophmore year in high school. It started when I saw a teacher playing the guitar and I asked him what kind of music he was playing? And he told me it's called, Slack Key.

I told him if he could teach me, And the first question he asked? Do you have a GUITAR? I said YES!(i wanted to learn so bad.) First thing he made me do was, to listen to the tunning.(it was in taropatch.) All it took was a few strums of the strings, And i got it! So he told me go home, And practice on your guitar. Well I get home from school at 2:30, my dad gets home from work at 4:30....So that gave me about 2 hours to practice....haha! I would come home and go into there room slip the guitar out from under his bed, And started to tune it to taropatch. My dad plays standard tunning.

So I would practice,practice,practice, Until i could here my dads truck coming up the road. The truck was a dead give away. When ever it had to climb a hill the transmission would have a high pitch sound you could hear it from miles away. And that gave me about a minute to change the tunning back, and slip it under there bed again. Well believe it or not, This went on for 3 years going through the same motions everyday.

I could'nt let my dad know, I was playing Slack Key. Because then he would know, I was playing his guitar too. In School, It was'nt a course, the teacher was doing it, on his own time. Well finally my senior year came, And it was graduation.( by that time, my teacher had taught me, every thing he knew.) My dad asked me, what i wanted for graduation....haha!....Yup!... My First Guitar! It was'nt as easy as your thinking right now. He said...GUITAR?...What for! You don't know how to play! Im only going to waste the money. I told him someone was teaching me to play slack key in school. And when he heard the word "Slack key" his eyes lite up.

He took me in there room, grabed the guitar from under the bed and said, "you gotta tune'um"... I did, and i played for him Ulupalakua.
I could see he was holding back some tears, And my dad told me, I always wanted to learn slack key when i was growing up, But no one would teach. We went back in the parlor, He took out the Sears Catalog, And he let me pick out the guitar I wanted.

Sun Burst, Jumbo, SilverTone, 6 String, Acoustic Guitar. I still have the silvertone guitar today. But had to do a few modifications, It's now light blue and beige still original keys. Hey Waihee Slack key Ohana's, I'll bring it to our kanikajamapila one day.

Well it's 6am and that's my story about, My First Guitar.
hope your not all getting bored. Did'nt mean to drag it on.
Just wanted to say, (and i'm not promoting it) 2 years ago
My Dad, My Son and I did a CD together, it was mostly a tribute
to my Dad, Called "3Generation". Mahalo Nui Loa!

Malama Pono! A Hui Hou.
Kevin

Pauline Leland
`Olu`olu

USA
783 Posts

Posted - 11/18/2002 :  1:35:02 PM  Show Profile
I'm moved. And impressed with your dedication to learning.

An aside, on another forum, a ukulele forum, someone said that one reason ukuleles are fun to play is that no one was forced to play them as a child. Almost no one.

Pauline
Go to Top of Page

Curtis Takahashi
Akahai

USA
62 Posts

Posted - 11/18/2002 :  4:30:18 PM  Show Profile
Indeed, a wonderful story. I have the only guitar I have owned (aside from a busted one that my cousin gave to me, don't know what happened to that one). It's a Granada (made in Japan) from the 70's that my mother played for one brief summer during community education classes.

Much mahalo for your sharing,

Curtis
Go to Top of Page

wdf
Ha`aha`a

USA
1153 Posts

Posted - 11/18/2002 :  5:10:01 PM  Show Profile
My first guitar was also a Sears Silvertone. It looked similar to this one:

Dusty
Go to Top of Page

duke
Lokahi

USA
163 Posts

Posted - 11/19/2002 :  10:38:40 PM  Show Profile
What a great story Kevin. And about that Cd -- Third generation-- awesome. I especially love Po Mahina (that's your song, right?). By the way, we met one time in Hana. I think you were here performing for someone's wedding or baby luau and you stayed in one of the vacation rentals I take care of on Hana Bay. Unfortunately, I missed the Brown Ohana when you folks were here recently during Aloha Week. Anyway, mahalo once again, for sharing that great story. Next time I wake up at 3 am, I may venture my story :)

Duke
Go to Top of Page

ohanabrown
Lokahi

281 Posts

Posted - 11/19/2002 :  11:35:15 PM  Show Profile
Aloha Duke,
Yes i think you checked us in? Well we're coming this weekend 23rd. Theres a wedding we're playing with pekelo. The party will start at noon on Sat. and end on Sun. at noon.

Yes Po Mahina is my tutu's favorite song. Dedicated it, to her. Mahalo Duke,and everyone else.

Malama Pono!
Kevin

Kevin K. Brown
Go to Top of Page

duke
Lokahi

USA
163 Posts

Posted - 11/20/2002 :  1:15:44 PM  Show Profile
Aloha Kevin

I'll see you at the wedding! (Atay wedding?). The halau I play for is performing. I think we're on at 1:00, not sure yet. Look forward to seeing you.

Duke
Go to Top of Page

ohanabrown
Lokahi

281 Posts

Posted - 11/20/2002 :  2:28:11 PM  Show Profile
Aloha Duke,

Yup! thats the wedding. See you there!

A Hui Hou!
Kevin

Kevin K. Brown
Go to Top of Page

marzullo
`Olu`olu

USA
923 Posts

Posted - 11/20/2002 :  4:47:30 PM  Show Profile  Visit marzullo's Homepage  Send marzullo an AOL message
aloha e kevin,

i really enjoyed your story of your first guitar. mine is a lot shorter... i played my brother's guitars when i lived at home, but when i went off to the university i was guitarless. when i say "played", i tried to play these inexpensive acoustics like the music i liked on the radio, which was mainly electric rock. i also didn't know what i was doing, so i flailed at them with a pick playing chords in first position.

i finally got my own guitar from a friend who sold me one of his. it wasn't such a great guitar, i thought; it didn't sound good when i played it and it had no real volume. i envied my brother's steel string guitar. i finally got one and gave that old guitar to my father in law cy (who has an amazing collection of instruments). that was over 20 years ago.

in the meantime, about five years ago, having been through flatpicking and bluegrass (which i love), i learned how to fingerpick. i got into the delta blues, and then discovered how much i love slack key.

recently i dug that old guitar out of cy's collection, tuned it up and gave it a spin.

it sounds wonderful. it's a lightweight classical guitar made by someone in oaxaca. it's beat to hell because some *)*(%&!! college student flailed at it with a finger pick in hopes it would turn into a epiphone or something, but it has a sweet sound.

i need to get one of the tuners repaired, but i'm going to enjoy playing that beast when i'm up at cy's house.

aloha,
keith

Keith
Go to Top of Page

anykine1
Aloha

USA
3 Posts

Posted - 11/26/2002 :  03:46:28 AM  Show Profile
Good job Daddy. I am sitting here in Palm Springs Ca, and was chatting w/ Joanne, and she told me about this site, and your story. I must say, I am very impressed, and proud that you are my DADdy. I love you, and miss you and the family . send my love to the entire OhanaBrown.. I love you and Mom. will talk again soon...

Love,
your oldest son Corey Kulakamaka Brown

See you at the top
Go to Top of Page

Julie H
Ha`aha`a

USA
1206 Posts

Posted - 11/27/2002 :  01:53:37 AM  Show Profile
What wonderful stories everyone. I had a dynamite Dad who was a well-known symphony musician, played first violin, flute, zither, and GUITAR. Both my brothers started on his guitar during their formative years. I don't understand why I waited sooo long to do it. My Dad passed away this summer, leaving his beloved Martin to my little brother. My brother died in September, just after I asked him if he would consider giving me Dad's Martin. Now have the Martin, my Dad's flute and his broken old zither. How I wish he could hear me play my ukulele and my clumsy attempts at Slack Key. Sometimes I play on my back deck under the stars, and I can imagine my Dad and Mom and little brother smiling down on me. So for all of you playing that sweet music, keep it up. They're out there listening! Julie
Go to Top of Page

cmdrpiffle
`Olu`olu

USA
553 Posts

Posted - 11/27/2002 :  02:59:56 AM  Show Profile
Julie,

Thank you for sharing that with us here. I know its been a helluva summer. You and your Ohana are in our thoughts.

When I'm home soon, and the time is right, when something beautiful comes from my guitar- I will send those thoughts towards you. You may not hear the music, but the love will be there.

Just a thought, I trust I'm not out of line, but reading your paragraph, I was struck with the certainty-

Your Mom and Dad and Brother ARE smiling over you.
Absolutely so!

with Grace and healing,
Mike

my Poodle is smarter than your honor student
Go to Top of Page

ohanabrown
Lokahi

281 Posts

Posted - 11/27/2002 :  03:03:36 AM  Show Profile
My warmest aloha goes out to you julie.
If i lived in your area, I would love to teach you slack key. Although I hav'nt heard you play, I'm sure your not clumsy in slack key.

Just trying to play this art forum, is already a plus for you. Hang in there because, what you have inherited from your love ones, has a lot of "Mana" and now it is passed on to you.

Continue to play what your doing, because for everytime you play the instruments, A part of your family will be with you. Mahalo for your story.

Ke Akua Pu (god bless.)
Kevin

Kevin K. Brown
Go to Top of Page

slackkey
Lokahi

USA
280 Posts

Posted - 11/27/2002 :  04:20:21 AM  Show Profile
Aloha Julie! I totally echo back to you what "Bruddah Kevin said...Don't give up....keep doing what you're doing on your back deck under the stars...What better place to be with your Beloved Parents and Brother, and to be playing your Father's Old Martin...Do you feel their presence? I have my Father's Father's Old Martin (0-21 1947). As special as my Grandfather and Grandmother who's also passed-on has been to me, so's my Martin. Whenever I play it, I know their with me listening. God Bles You Julie.....

slackkey Bill
Go to Top of Page

Julie H
Ha`aha`a

USA
1206 Posts

Posted - 11/30/2002 :  1:21:34 PM  Show Profile
I have to say that ever since I started playing uke and attending Keola's and George's workshops, I have met so many wonderfully caring people, I feel truly blessed. Thank you so much everyone for your encouraging words. And Kevin, I hope to be on Maui sometime in February or March, just taking a week to paint (landscapes) in Lahaina or whereabouts. I will bring my uke. Maybe I will get the chance to meet you in person, that would be a treat. (Sometimes I can jam along because I know some of those sweet old Hawaiian songs.) Anyone else going there? Aloha, Julie

PS Andy, thanks a million for providing this fantastic way for all of us to keep in touch and meet new friends! Love to you and Lynette.
Go to Top of Page

ohanabrown
Lokahi

281 Posts

Posted - 12/01/2002 :  02:02:20 AM  Show Profile
Aloha Julie,

It truly will be a pleasure to meet you when you come to Maui.

I know the rest of the Waihee slack key ohana's will receive you with open arm's! Bring your uke!

You can join us at our Saturday kanikajamapila and meet the rest of the ohana's. Please let me or Slack Key Bill know, the date that your coming to Maui.

As far as painting? there's another slack key sister that joins us on Saturdays, for the jam session. You could meet, and talk to her, about locations that would be perfect for painting.
( she is also a painter. )

Infact, the location that we have our jam sessions at, the back grounds are beautiful!
Please keep in touch, So we can plan a get together. And finally meet, someone from our own taropatch ohana! Looking forward to meeting you.

Malama Kou Kino.
Kevin... a hui hou!

p.s. any other taropatch ohana's coming?

Kevin K. Brown
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.09 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000