Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Hawaiian Slack Key Guitar / Hawaiian Music
 Kaona of Aloha Ka Manini
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

wcerto
Ahonui

USA
5052 Posts

Posted - 01/21/2007 :  07:30:58 AM  Show Profile
I have heard that this appearingly simple song praising the good foods of the sea is really not about the fish and poi at all. I don't see it. What am I missing?

Mahalo for your kekua.

Me ke aloha
Malama pono,
Wanda

Sarah
`Olu`olu

571 Posts

Posted - 01/22/2007 :  07:27:27 AM  Show Profile
Aloha, Wanda,

I can't speak to the kaona of this song. However, there's a thread that someone with a similar question started on another forum several years ago:
http://www.hawaiimusicmuseum.org/forumarchive/songs/tp1167.html
Keola Donaghy has particularly interesting insights about translation and kaona.

aloha,
Sarah
Go to Top of Page

donley
Aloha

USA
26 Posts

Posted - 02/15/2007 :  6:44:33 PM  Show Profile  Visit donley's Homepage  Send donley a Yahoo! Message
I read Keola's comments and enjoyed them immensley, and then made this post as a reply on that site and here.

I like what Keola said, "As far as the kaona, only the composer knows for sure" and "So what you get from huapala.org, Kimo, me, or any book, is someone else's interpretation of that song."

I agree completely. Just like all art and music, the meaning often is in the mind and heart of the viewer or listener.

Just to think about the kaona though, and at least one person's version of it, an Hawaiian born kumu I know and revere once told me that to her the kaona involved thinking of it as a song that women use to discuss the various traits of the men around them by comparing them to the fish. The slick and fast ones and the ones with the fat oily belly. Re-reading the Hawaiian with this thought in mind certainly gives me an interesting set of visuals to hold in my mind when I sing the song.

Donley
Go to Top of Page

kealiiblaisdell
Akahai

USA
52 Posts

Posted - 02/15/2007 :  7:31:54 PM  Show Profile  Visit kealiiblaisdell's Homepage  Click to see kealiiblaisdell's MSN Messenger address
Ah, the beauty of Kaona's! Kaona's are beautiful creations as mentioned above specifically done that way by the song creator themselves. As a songwriter myself, I do it for many reasons, and ususally it's because it is more of a personal nature for me than anything. For example, I wrote this song which is coming out on my next CD, and if you were just to read the translations, you may assume that I am speaking about a specific flower, example:

`Auhea wale ana `oe
Hearken to my song

ka pua o pakalana
of the pakalana blossom

onaona wale ia pua
fragrant is this flower

i ka hiki mau ia
due to it's ever blooming.

Onaona i ka ihu
Fragrant indeed to inhale

ke`ala pua pakalana
the scent of the pakalana

Now, when reading the translation, you may assume that im speaking of the pakalana flower and how fragrant and beautiful it's scent is. But i'm not at all. Im actually talking about my wife. In place of my wife is the pakalana. The scent I am speaking of in the song is the sweet smell of her hair. Blooming represents her everday awakening meaning when she wakes in the morning, her hair still smells good.

Pretty much poetic throughout. And the reason why I do this (and im sure that other writers do as well)is because it is a personal matter, something dear to us, someone we love and cherish. Kaona's are a beautiful thing and your right. It is the way songwriters write it, and only the songwriter knows what the true meaning really means.

Aloha-
Keali`i Blaisdell

I hoped this kinda helps.

Edited by - kealiiblaisdell on 02/15/2007 7:36:22 PM
Go to Top of Page

hawaiianmusiclover06
`Olu`olu

USA
562 Posts

Posted - 02/16/2007 :  12:38:27 AM  Show Profile  Visit hawaiianmusiclover06's Homepage  Send hawaiianmusiclover06 an AOL message  Click to see hawaiianmusiclover06's MSN Messenger address  Send hawaiianmusiclover06 a Yahoo! Message
quote:
Originally posted by kealiiblaisdell

Ah, the beauty of Kaona's! Kaona's are beautiful creations as mentioned above specifically done that way by the song creator themselves. As a songwriter myself, I do it for many reasons, and ususally it's because it is more of a personal nature for me than anything. For example, I wrote this song which is coming out on my next CD, and if you were just to read the translations, you may assume that I am speaking about a specific flower, example:

`Auhea wale ana `oe
Hearken to my song

ka pua o pakalana
of the pakalana blossom

onaona wale ia pua
fragrant is this flower

i ka hiki mau ia
due to it's ever blooming.

Onaona i ka ihu
Fragrant indeed to inhale

ke`ala pua pakalana
the scent of the pakalana

Now, when reading the translation, you may assume that im speaking of the pakalana flower and how fragrant and beautiful it's scent is. But i'm not at all. Im actually talking about my wife. In place of my wife is the pakalana. The scent I am speaking of in the song is the sweet smell of her hair. Blooming represents her everday awakening meaning when she wakes in the morning, her hair still smells good.

Pretty much poetic throughout. And the reason why I do this (and im sure that other writers do as well)is because it is a personal matter, something dear to us, someone we love and cherish. Kaona's are a beautiful thing and your right. It is the way songwriters write it, and only the songwriter knows what the true meaning really means.

Aloha-
Keali`i Blaisdell

I hoped this kinda helps.

Aloha mai kaua e Keali'i, glad to see that you are still lurking on TP despite your busy schedule. Don't stress out too much. By the way, I just read the lyrics to the song that you wrote and I have to say that it is 'ui and maika'i. Hope to hear from you soon. A hui hou.

Alana :)

Aloha Kakou, maluhia a me aloha mau loa (Hello everyone, peace and love forever)
Go to Top of Page

Auntie Maria
Ha`aha`a

USA
1918 Posts

Posted - 02/16/2007 :  10:08:04 AM  Show Profile
Keali`i -- who will be distributing your new CD???

-- Auntie Niele

Auntie Maria
===================
My "Aloha Kaua`i" radio show streams FREE online every Thu & Fri 7-9am (HST)
www.kkcr.org - Kaua`i Community Radio
"Like" Aloha Kauai on Facebook, for playlists and news/info about island music and musicians!

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.09 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000