Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Hawaiian Slack Key Guitar / Hawaiian Music
 Hawai`i Music Awards - winners announced
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Retro
Ahonui

USA
2368 Posts

Posted - 02/14/2007 :  1:02:00 PM  Show Profile  Visit Retro's Homepage
Adult Contemporary: Manoa DNA Follow Me
Anthology: Kapena - Kapena Collection Vol 3
Classical: John Carollo - Ampersand
Comedy: Lanai & Augie - Radio Kings Back On the Throne
Compilation: Aloha From Paradise - Aloha Joe Radio
Contemporary Hawaiian: Pali - Tribute
Country Music: Ernie Cruz Sr. - Only Better
Dancehall Reggae: Zulu - Riddum Killah
Best DVD: Makaha Sons - Live At the Hawaii Theatre
Exotica Music: Waitiki - Charred Mammal Flesh
Folk: Peter Apo & the Rainbow Nation Band - My Back Pages, The Folk Years
Inspirational/Gospel: Misaki - Misaki
Hip Hop: Afatia - 5:54
International Hawaiian: Luka Kauhola & Kainoa - Kaoru Kainoa Blues Band
Island Contemporary: Kawao - The Secrets Out!
Jazz: Ginai - Jazz Island
Polynesian Island: Breeze - Gathering of the Kings
Pop: Keahiwai - Changing
Reggae: Ooklah The Moc - Koko Meets Ooklah the Moc
Rhythm & Blues: Lei - Lyrics From the Heart
Rock: Mark Coleman - Tunes With Love
Seasonal: Keali'i Reichel - Maluhia
Single: Steve Zuwala -Toes In the Sand
Ska: Upstanding Youth Still
Slack Key: Ledward Ka'apana - Grandmaster Slack Key Guitar
Steel Guitar: Legends of Hawaiian Steel Guitar Past Present and Future
Traditional Hawaiian: Manny K Fernandez - Hawaiian Memories
Ukulele: Brittni - Paiva Brittni
World Music: Emile Simon & Pierre Grill & L'Escargot - True Love

Hawaii Music Awards People's Choice for most popular New Artist -
1) Steven Espaniola; 2) Misaki; 3) Mana Poly All-Stars

Kawehipulamahia
Aloha

13 Posts

Posted - 02/14/2007 :  2:40:12 PM  Show Profile
lolz on the HMA Awards.... I find them to be more of a popularity contest than anything. Anyone can vote meaning if, I was entered, I can have all my friends and family and their friends and family vote....it's just not right and fair to any and all artists who entered. For example, this category and winner: Rhythm & Blues: Lei - Lyrics From the Heart....I have her album and nothing on it is rhythm & blues, it is all reggae / jawaiian...what is wrong with that picture? And Keahiwai in the pop category??? When they should've been in the Island Contemporary...hmnmm does this make anyone of you wonder? I just don't get these awards at all. True, however that majority of the artists on the mainland cannot qualify to enter into certain categories for the hoku's, but still....the HMA's are nothing more than a popularity contest...there were alot of awesome artists that should of deserved these awards like Ken Makuakane, Henry Kapono, Keali`i Blaisdell and many more .....these guys are originals! Ken with his originality and continued perpetuation in Hawaii, just like Keali`i Blaisdell who writes and speaks native hawaiian and writes and performs all of his own original material. and Henry Kapono, he is a legend opening the doors to many artists, making Hawai`i a household name and place to be scouted with awesome talent and truly is a original Hawai`i icon...but...alas...it once again has come to these guys being snubbed. Manny Fernandez is great, however my opinion differs...I would have rather have seen Ken or Keali`i taken that category...question to everyone is this...are we as a Native people ready to move on, listening to newly written material,on every cd that Ken and Keali`i and/or anyone else who writes new mele's in our native language, or are we just going to stand by idley and vote for every person who just comes out with an album with just another version of Hawaiian Wedding song or Akaka Falls or Hualalai...no disrespect whatsoever Mr. Fernandez but cmon, we heard all those songs already, over and over and over again! I always love to see new material coming out from anyone, I just believe that Ken, Keali`i, Henry got snubbed...if you don't believe me, just ask the halau's what they want...new material to dance to, or the same 'ol same `ol...I am Hawaiian, born and raised, I have danced for over 23 years and I am always looking for new material to dance to and am proud to see newly written material being shared with everyone. I am proud to perpetuate our culture and proud to see that Ken, Keali`i, Henry and others writting new material to perpetuate our Heritage & Culture....for isn't the meaning of the word perpetuate means to continue? Yes it does, it means to continue, not to be repetitive...not to be coming out with another album with all the same `ol stuff I heard as a child, as a teen and now as an adult...this is just my opinion...but shouldnt we all have this opinion? Oh, I am a huge fan of slack key....and am very happy that uncle ledward won...but cmon Johnny Kai...is this awards really real at all? It just makes me sick to see that even in an so called OPEN VOTING SYSTEM, there are still favortism going on. Oh yea, I forgot...sry Aloha Joe, but I don't think it is right for you to win 3 years in a row for re-releasing previously recorded material already in stores due to your radio show.I mean, are you actually a record label who takes in all those artists to do a compilation album, or you just take them off a CD and burn them all together to make a compilation album. Aren't you one of Johnny Kai's biggest sponsors, is that why you won AGAIN? I just don't think that it's right and in fairness to those who actually goes to the studio and actually record an album. Alot of hard work and time goes into a making a CD...time for a wake up call Mr. Johnny Kai...

These are words I live by...

"Ua ku`ikahi like ka mana`o"
Aloha,

Kawehi

Edited by - Kawehipulamahia on 02/14/2007 3:37:00 PM
Go to Top of Page

Auntie Maria
Ha`aha`a

USA
1918 Posts

Posted - 02/14/2007 :  2:55:44 PM  Show Profile
Yep...all that, plus the annual "ballot box stuffing" issues these awards have experienced.

Auntie Maria
===================
My "Aloha Kaua`i" radio show streams FREE online every Thu & Fri 7-9am (HST)
www.kkcr.org - Kaua`i Community Radio
"Like" Aloha Kauai on Facebook, for playlists and news/info about island music and musicians!

Go to Top of Page

kealiiblaisdell
Akahai

USA
52 Posts

Posted - 02/14/2007 :  2:59:52 PM  Show Profile  Visit kealiiblaisdell's Homepage  Click to see kealiiblaisdell's MSN Messenger address
Mahalo â nui for your kind words Kawehi, but it's okay. Im not much of a HMA fan myself. I agree that the HMA's needs to work out some sort of guidlines and that in my opinion it is more of a popularity contest. But i'm not in this for an award, like you said, im in it for the continuation of our culture. But thanks goes out to all of you who did vote for me, thank you very much for your continung support of Hawaiiana.

PS- I actually did vote, but it was for my cousin Steven Espaniola, not for me. Congrats my brother, you deserve it. And Kawehi, I love your quote at the end,"Ua ku`ikahi like ka mana`o".
it means, "We are all of one mind".

Mahalo-
Keali`i Blaisdell

Edited by - kealiiblaisdell on 02/14/2007 3:10:06 PM
Go to Top of Page

Kawehipulamahia
Aloha

13 Posts

Posted - 02/14/2007 :  3:46:25 PM  Show Profile
Ah, thanks auntie, I almost forgot about that one too...
Ah, Mr. Blaisdell you are very na`auao...and i'm sorry for the HMAs, there's always the Hoku's no worries braddah, i'm a member, my vote is for you. There should be more like you. Keep writing and don't get down because of this...
With you my braddah "Ua hana `ia e ka pono a ua pololei" , don't ever forget that. Stay the same and stay true and keep doing what you doing.

Me Ke Aloha,

Kawehi : )

Go to Top of Page

donkaulia
Lokahi

249 Posts

Posted - 02/14/2007 :  3:47:57 PM  Show Profile  Visit donkaulia's Homepage
Good stuff and good thread. Howzit Kawehi, Kealii and Aunty Maria. I'd like to add my "mana'o".

The majority of the new recordings generated within the last decade is 'covers' within the Hawaiian music. Every Tom, *&^%# and Mary is doing songs of the past be it in Hawaiian or non-Hawaiian. Not enough ORIGINAL COMPOSITIONS. People like Kealii Blaisdell, Herb Mahelona, Ken Makuakane are writers of a new era. They carry on the torch by Dennis Kamakahi's era whom carried the torch from writers like Ermgard Aluli, Alohikea, etc.

Politics within the music industry plays a huge role here in the islands. It's who and what you know. Airplay plays a big, big role. The HMA and HARA people try their best to make right. I know Johnny Kai did no harm but needs to hear your input to make 'pono'. Now that the Grammys is here, this is a 3rd entity that needs help also. The Slack Key is one Hawaiian Music category. We need to get Hawaii members to nominate a vote for more categories. Right now we are 100 to 16,900 members who needs to be educated on the Hawaiian music. I am a artist of Slack Key. I know about this and hear 'bout the other complaints in the Hawaiian music community about every year the Grammy's pick Slack Key. The 16,900 members are mostly other mainland artists who like what they hear. When they hear an unfamiliar language they go to the next best sound which is slack key. Most of them were educated a decade earlier thanks to George Winston who produced all of the Dancing Cat Slack Key Albums that went worldwide. We need to all huddle and make a plan.

On another note;
The one drop crap that has been called 'jawaiian...island reggae...etc' has been so dominating its a shame to go to a concert and here the 'same' beat over and over in every act. I am an original Players of Instruments member for Butch Helemano. I know the groove and been there. With Butch I was able to meet the real reggae artist from Jamaica in the early 1980's. Butch was and 'is' totally original. I enjoyed my time as a reggae performer and did move on. I usually search my car radio dial to some real Hawaiian music since most of the airwaves play one drop music. It's sad for today's keikis. There is no progression or dynamic scale with reggae; we gotta educate our kids to be more progressive than the simple one drop skanking beat. Whew...for me I miss the 1970's when rocknroll, katchikatchi, Sons of Hawaii, Sunday Manoa, Hui o Hana, Gabe Kila and the Nanakuli Sons, Olomana, Makaha Sons of Niihau, Chucky Boy Chuck, ABC Band...these were good fun music that was never boring.

Aloha, Don Kaulia

donkaulia
Go to Top of Page

Kawehipulamahia
Aloha

13 Posts

Posted - 02/14/2007 :  3:59:33 PM  Show Profile
Oh you are so correct Don. btw, arent you from Kona? Didnt you play with Uncle ledward before? wow...yes, I agree about that Jawaiian genre...its always about a girlfriend or boyfriend song. About the girl leaving the guy or the guy who's with the girlfriend but is checking out another girl..how original is that..hahaha! comical if you ask me. Yes, and the Grammys is another issue. Im very happy for all those who won, however why is it Daniel Ho again? I mean I voted for Uncle Ledward...but oh well. I bet Daniel will come out with another Slack key all star 3rd album again. If memory serves me, doesn't he live in California and used to work for ABC? Just getting tired of the politcs involved, which of course is the reason why Kamasami Kong left HARA in the first place...how I miss those days of long ago "sigh"...

Kawehi = (
Go to Top of Page

hawaiianmusiclover06
`Olu`olu

USA
562 Posts

Posted - 02/15/2007 :  01:30:08 AM  Show Profile  Visit hawaiianmusiclover06's Homepage  Send hawaiianmusiclover06 an AOL message  Click to see hawaiianmusiclover06's MSN Messenger address  Send hawaiianmusiclover06 a Yahoo! Message
quote:
Originally posted by kealiiblaisdell

Mahalo â nui for your kind words Kawehi, but it's okay. Im not much of a HMA fan myself. I agree that the HMA's needs to work out some sort of guidlines and that in my opinion it is more of a popularity contest. But i'm not in this for an award, like you said, im in it for the continuation of our culture. But thanks goes out to all of you who did vote for me, thank you very much for your continung support of Hawaiiana.

PS- I actually did vote, but it was for my cousin Steven Espaniola, not for me. Congrats my brother, you deserve it. And Kawehi, I love your quote at the end,"Ua ku`ikahi like ka mana`o".
it means, "We are all of one mind".

Mahalo-
Keali`i Blaisdell

Aloha mai e Keali'i. Sorry, that you didn't win. I been praying for you but there is always next year. I'm glad that you voted too and voted for your cousin Steven Espaniola. Keep up the music and your talent. Aloha mai ia 'oe.

Aloha Kakou, maluhia a me aloha mau loa (Hello everyone, peace and love forever)
Go to Top of Page

wcerto
Ahonui

USA
5052 Posts

Posted - 02/15/2007 :  05:06:46 AM  Show Profile
The best way to perpetuate the music and the mana`o is to keep makiing music and doing it in a pono way. I understand that our respect and love for your music doesn't put food on the table. That is no different than musicians all over the world and right here on the mainland. Very few musical artists and song-writers make a living at it. To make money at any job, you have to sell out and compromise some of your beliefs. That is why we all get paid for doing our regular work...if it was wonderful and fun, they wouldn't have to pay us to do it.

All that aside, I agree that not just anyone should be able to vote. However, how do you decide who chould be allowed to vote? Should there be a knowledge test? Should there be a skills test? Or should it simply be that you can purchase a "membership" to the illustrious group?

Frankly, in my opinion, anyone who can play an instrument in a technically competent way or who can hold a tune and who is not afraid to perform in front of a group gets my respect. I may not always enjoy that particular "genrre", but I do respect the talent and courage that it takes to share it with the world. For instance, who is more "technically perfect" than opera siingers, but, hey, they may sing perfectly and with great emotion, but that is not my favored type of music. When music becomes popular and when many of the regular folks dig it, it is usually because there is some emotional connection and something "pono" about the music, whether is is traditional Hawaiian, or Jawaiian or blue-grass, or polka or whatever.

Anyone who has a recording is better than me and I respect them for it. My personal tastes are my own and I would not presume to try to influence others in an attempt to convince them that what they enjoy is not worthy of praise and regard.

I truly believe this forum gives the proper dues to those who perpetuate the beautiful music and important mana`o of the Hawaiian nation, be it through chant, mele, himeni, etc.

To those of you who share your music with the rest of us, thank you so much for doing so. I appreciate it and I respect you for it.

Mahalo nui loa.

Me ke aloha
Malama pono,
Wanda
Go to Top of Page

Mainkaukau
Lokahi

USA
245 Posts

Posted - 02/15/2007 :  09:31:17 AM  Show Profile  Visit Mainkaukau's Homepage
Hello everyone, I enter every award contest I can enter for fun and maybe a little commercial exposure. Of course I am aware of all the politics envolved but you never know unless you try. After all, you can only do so much with a professionally produced cd. Play it, sell it, enter it in a varity of award contests or give it away. The main thing is just keep creating, pressing and sharing. The perpetuation Hawaiian culture is based more upon the spirit of "Aloha" than anything else. This is what needs to be cultivated and assimulated into help solving Hawaii's growing problems of losing it's identity and becoming a playground for only the rich. That you for your time.
Go to Top of Page

RJS
Ha`aha`a

1635 Posts

Posted - 02/15/2007 :  10:11:20 AM  Show Profile
I think that moving the Hawaiian Grammy category from "Folk" to "International" would help. Most people probably voted for a Hawaiian award because they were already voting in the folk category, and those people aren't really familiar with Hawaiian music. (Heck, I voted for a folk award because I was voting for an Hawaiian award - works both ways, I guess. Maybe more of a chance if in international category. (Also, wouldn't hurt to have an "instrumental" category and a "vocal" category, but hey, two awards cost the Academy $$$)

While I'm on it - HARA could easily set up a web site to be accessed from the Grammy's members page with 2 or 3 mps's of each nominated cd, as long as the artist wants to participate. Advertise it through the Grammy's email system so every voting member has a notice that's its available. Accessing through the Grammy members page takes care of the "give it to everyone" issues. Might help balance the "Those who tour get recognition" problem.
Go to Top of Page

Retro
Ahonui

USA
2368 Posts

Posted - 02/15/2007 :  11:07:58 AM  Show Profile  Visit Retro's Homepage
Have the HMAs ever claimed to be anything BUT a popularity contest? That's how we all view them, but what's wrong with having something where the general public has a chance to say what they like (yeah - it is easy to stuff the ballot box in cases like this, but that's a pretty complicated hurdle to overcome)?

Proponents of Hawaiian music are fortunate; for popular votes, you have the HMAs - for industry respect, there's the Hokus - and for general attention off-island, now there's a Grammy. That's some pretty damn respectable work; I can think of very few other cultural groups with that level of recognition. It takes a lot to get that much going, and to keep it going. The Hawaiian scene should be proud that there's room for so much celebration.

Edited by - Retro on 02/15/2007 11:08:21 AM
Go to Top of Page

keoladonaghy
Lokahi

257 Posts

Posted - 02/15/2007 :  12:25:20 PM  Show Profile
The topic of placement of the Hawaiian category in "Folk" and not "World" was discussed when the award was established. NARAS' justification is based on the musical elements - rhythmn, meter, melody and harmony. In those aspects Hawaiian has much more in common with the world's western folk music traditions than it does with other world musical forms that are not based on our 12 tone chromatic system, even meters and tempo. They did not consider the issue of language or other performance aspects (like the vocal nuances of Hawaiian performance that borrow from oli). Musically Hawaiian is much closer to folk styles than it is the music of African and Asian, or the Middle East, which is what is predominantly found in the World category. I'm not sure what, if anything, would be gained from moving it out of Folk. The Native American category is also under "Folk" and some of their music styles are much more "World Music" in nature than Hawaiian, at least musically.

Re: HARA's website. I maintained it for years on a strictly volunteer basis. They have hired a real webmaster now (I declined to bid on it because of my other responsibilities) and I hope it is online soon. Whether or not they will be able to put up audio samples from all of the nominees remains to be seen.

quote:
Originally posted by RJS

I think that moving the Hawaiian Grammy category from "Folk" to "International" would help. Most people probably voted for a Hawaiian award because they were already voting in the folk category, and those people aren't really familiar with Hawaiian music. (Heck, I voted for a folk award because I was voting for an Hawaiian award - works both ways, I guess. Maybe more of a chance if in international category. (Also, wouldn't hurt to have an "instrumental" category and a "vocal" category, but hey, two awards cost the Academy $$$)

While I'm on it - HARA could easily set up a web site to be accessed from the Grammy's members page with 2 or 3 mps's of each nominated cd, as long as the artist wants to participate. Advertise it through the Grammy's email system so every voting member has a notice that's its available. Accessing through the Grammy members page takes care of the "give it to everyone" issues. Might help balance the "Those who tour get recognition" problem.

Go to Top of Page

Retro
Ahonui

USA
2368 Posts

Posted - 02/15/2007 :  1:08:20 PM  Show Profile  Visit Retro's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by keoladonaghy

The topic of placement of the Hawaiian category in "Folk" and not "World" was discussed when the award was established. NARAS' justification is based on the musical elements - rhythmn, meter, melody and harmony. In those aspects Hawaiian has much more in common with the world's western folk music traditions than it does with other world musical forms that are not based on our 12 tone chromatic system, even meters and tempo. They did not consider the issue of language or other performance aspects (like the vocal nuances of Hawaiian performance that borrow from oli). Musically Hawaiian is much closer to folk styles than it is the music of African and Asian, or the Middle East, which is what is predominantly found in the World category. I'm not sure what, if anything, would be gained from moving it out of Folk. The Native American category is also under "Folk" and some of their music styles are much more "World Music" in nature than Hawaiian, at least musically.
Thanks, Keola. As you probably know, the "World Music" field only has two categories: "Traditional" & "Contemporary." NARAS doesn't break down the category along any ethnic designations - there's no Celtic Album, Aftican Album, Asian Album, etc. - so they wouldn't put Hawaiian here, either.
Go to Top of Page

Larry Goldstein
Lokahi

267 Posts

Posted - 02/15/2007 :  1:27:06 PM  Show Profile
Mahalo Keola for this history and your insight.

I don't want to trivialize the importance of this topic to many, but the issue of the right "category" is interesting.

A couple of days ago I was in a Borders Books store, and found Ka Hikina O Ka Hau in the folk section. To the best of my knowledge, this CD is Keola Beamer's latest recording. It is not, in Keola's notes, a slack key album, and I submit, is not "folk."

The majority of music that Keola plays on this CD, and it is great!, comes from classical composers such as Stravinsky, Ravel, Rimsky-Korsakov, Satie, and Mendelssohn.

OK, so the CD cover has a guitar featured on it, and that's the signature instrument for folk. But I'd like to see this album next to John Williams and Andre Segovia in the classical section.

Larry
Go to Top of Page

kekoa
Aloha

1 Posts

Posted - 02/15/2007 :  1:33:06 PM  Show Profile
I really had to respond to this thread.
Johnny Kai and the board of HMA have done a great job in exposing musical artists. There's nothing wrong with the public voting and it is a popularity contest which this award has always been. HARA is voted on by the artists' peers just like the Grammys. I believe the national People's Choice Awards are popularity as well, just like HMA. Two different goals and visions.
I love both organizations. But I HATE seeing Johnny Kai dumped on. He really has a heart for the artists and helping them to expose their music to the world.
Aunty Maria, please start supporting his efforts. You sell these musicians' CDs. Acknowledge that they won an award. That helps to promote their album, not Johnny Kai and the HMA.
We're not asking you to agree with everything he's doing, but it's not about him, but the artists and their chance to shine.
No matter what, the public has voted and shared their picks. PLEASE DON'T DEMEAN OR LESSEN all these wonderful artists' wins.
If you don't like what HMA is doing, I consider that to be a political decision as well.
If I was one of these artists, I would be very upset with my win being made known as a "ballot box stuffing" or a comic event.
To even think or even mention that any of these wins could be rigged is VERY UNACCEPTABLE.

We all don't like the politics, so let's get out of this and support one another. AGAIN, THIS IS NOT ABOUT HMA NOR HARA, IT'S ABOUT THE MUSICIANS.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.14 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000