Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Hawaiian Slack Key Guitar / Hawaiian Music
 First Broadcast Of Slack Tracks Is Today
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Ianui
Lokahi

USA
298 Posts

Posted - 02/01/2007 :  9:47:29 PM  Show Profile  Visit Ianui's Homepage
Its Que'd to start at 4PM Las Vegas time at www.50thstateradio.com today. Am I nervous Yes

click on the (click here to start your listening journey) The program is for, the entertainment of those that enjoy slack key. and I cerainly hope it does that.

In a couple weeks (if everything fairs well) I will be making a suprise announcement followed by a couple programs that will be totally unique in Slack Key history.

So give the program a listen and give me some feed back. You don't have to think or work at anything just listen and enjoy.

cpatch
Ahonui

USA
2187 Posts

Posted - 02/02/2007 :  07:54:28 AM  Show Profile  Visit cpatch's Homepage  Send cpatch an AOL message
Congratulations Don!

Craig
My goal is to be able to play as well as people think I can.
Go to Top of Page

Ray Sowders
Akahai

USA
96 Posts

Posted - 02/02/2007 :  08:44:55 AM  Show Profile  Visit Ray Sowders's Homepage
Aloha Don and Taropatch gang,

This show will allow me to finally "attempt" to address some of the subjects given to me (from taropatch members) some time ago. After my simple video slack key tips I did a while ago, I asked folks "what do you want to learn"...The list of subjects received lends themselves more to a "talking points" format. This is because they are not subjects that can quickly be answered by saying...put your fingers here, or pick this way. Sorry it’s taken a while to get to this, but I guess it’s better late than never.

These are subjects that do not have 1 answer. They have multiple approaches. One size does not fit all. Anyway, we are beginning with the subject "how does one learn to play by ear". As you might imagine, it's hard to cover this in enough detail in a short presentation. But, with some feedback from those who check it out, maybe we can go into greater depth in areas you specify...time will tell. Check it out if you can. The following programs will begin to cover "learning from tab, then leaving it behind", "learning to play nahenahe" and more. I have quite a list of topics. These are difficult subjects to approach but we will try. Again, your feedback will be helpful so contact Don with your suggestions OK? Hope it helps some folks. If it helps one person, than I am happy for the effort.

Aloha,

Ray
Go to Top of Page

Admin
Pupule

USA
4551 Posts

Posted - 02/02/2007 :  09:02:57 AM  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage  Send Admin an AOL message  Send Admin an ICQ Message  Send Admin a Yahoo! Message
Wishing you a great first show and many more to come!

Andy
Go to Top of Page

wcerto
Ahonui

USA
5052 Posts

Posted - 02/02/2007 :  11:57:19 AM  Show Profile
This will be our Friday night evening excitement (oh well, you know how it is in Cleveland in the winter, right) -- 16 days straight snowing and snowing.

I am excited about this, and can't wait to hear Auntie Elodia.

Don -- congratulations and thanks for all your hard work to make this happen (and to all those who assisted, as well)

Me ke aloha pumehana.

Me ke aloha
Malama pono,
Wanda
Go to Top of Page

Reid
Ha`aha`a

Andorra
1526 Posts

Posted - 02/02/2007 :  3:10:32 PM  Show Profile
Great Show Don! The content was wonderful, and nicely programmed.

One tech note. The broadcast sound volume was highly variable. I was watching a software EQ while the show was on. All was generally quieter than 50th's normal volume and your live mike was really, really quiet. When their standard stuff came on it nearly blew the speakers and our ears. So, have someone ride the sliders when you are on, if they are not already doing it.

That's just a quibble though,, Sarah and I enjoyed it immensely.

...Reid

Go to Top of Page

Lawrence
Ha`aha`a

USA
1597 Posts

Posted - 02/02/2007 :  4:33:39 PM  Show Profile
Very enjoyable interviews Don, you sure got some good stuff out of Elodia!

I also noticed the large variability in volume as well. This was still happening after your show so it is also a "station equipment" problem.

Regular-kine radio stations have an ALC (Automatic Level Control) and Limiter before the transmitter and maybe these folks do not. (It's probably all in software for them.) So it might also help if you pump-up-the-volume on your next submission using a Hard-Limiter function up about 6-10db louder than you had it this time around. (Yes - and independently bring up you narration volume about 6db as well) This way, if all they have is a hard-limiter at their end for the peaks (which is what it sounds like), then your stuff will come across better (in comparison to their normal program material).

I also noticed that you introduced a song (after Elodia's first segment) as "Hanohano Hawaii" that I know as "He'eia" . Are there two names for this song?

Keep up the good work!

Mahope Kākou...
...El Lorenzo de Ondas Sonoras
Go to Top of Page

wcerto
Ahonui

USA
5052 Posts

Posted - 02/03/2007 :  01:43:13 AM  Show Profile
Don - this was a most enjoyable show. I really enjoyed the interview with Auntie Elodia. It just blows me away that someone as good at their craft as Uncle Ray (and famous for it as well), or Gabby, Sonny, Atta, as she discussed, all had to work real jobs, either welding or road crew, or whatever. And it touches my heart to think of the love she and Ray share. What a great story of how Ray asked her to marry him! When you know, you know!

Also thanks to Ray Sowders for his instruction and music. Just instantly feel better when you hear those vamps! We'll be seeing him shortly when we travel O`ahu.

I also agree on the volume issue as well. The recorded music was good...your voice was very soft, and there were a few dead spots where there was complete silence when you segued from one topic to another.

It was an enjoyable way to spend an hour...matter of fact, I couldn't believe an hour had passed when it was over...it went very quickly. I can't wait to hear more. Thank you and those who assisted you. This is really good.

Me ke aloha
Malama pono,
Wanda
Go to Top of Page

sbar15
Lokahi

USA
151 Posts

Posted - 02/03/2007 :  04:45:50 AM  Show Profile
Don,

Great show I to agree about the volume issue. I can not wait for the next show.

Thanks

Steve
Go to Top of Page

Mika ele
Ha`aha`a

USA
1493 Posts

Posted - 02/03/2007 :  08:15:22 AM  Show Profile
Can we download a podcast version to keep listening to?

E nana, e ho'olohe. E pa'a ka waha, e hana ka lima.
Go to Top of Page

Ianui
Lokahi

USA
298 Posts

Posted - 02/06/2007 :  04:54:24 AM  Show Profile  Visit Ianui's Homepage
Thank you for the feed back it is very helpful.Keep it coming please. Hopefully the sound level issue will be cleard up this next broadcast.

As we continue, the technicial processes should improve as with folks like Lawrence and Reid who are true audiophiles providing technical guidence, my learning curve will become less steep.

The technical stuff is important and if done incorrectly I know its an irritant. As my skill level improves over the next couple weeks this should become less an issue. But I do want to continue receiving feedback about anything that doesn't come over well to any of you.

The program content is the main focus. It's my plan to bring something different about Slack Key to an audience that doesn't know a lot about it, and at the same time keep those of you that know a lot more about it than me entertained. (Wheeew What an order that is)

I will be crossing some thresholds and taking some stances that some will not agree with. One of those will be this Friday's broadcast which will have interviews with two Grammy nominees Dennis Kamakahi and Keoki Kahumoku.

Give a listen
Go to Top of Page

Reid
Ha`aha`a

Andorra
1526 Posts

Posted - 02/06/2007 :  06:13:30 AM  Show Profile
So, Don, you gonna be Colbert or Limbaugh?

...Reid

PS. Content is 99% of everything, you did good.
Go to Top of Page

cpatch
Ahonui

USA
2187 Posts

Posted - 02/06/2007 :  08:12:29 AM  Show Profile  Visit cpatch's Homepage  Send cpatch an AOL message
I second the request for a podcast (or at least downloadable) version.

Craig
My goal is to be able to play as well as people think I can.
Go to Top of Page

MahinaM
Lokahi

USA
389 Posts

Posted - 02/06/2007 :  3:15:38 PM  Show Profile  Visit MahinaM's Homepage
Aloha Don!

Anywhere these shows are archived? Bummers...I totally missed the show! I just got back in to TP today after a long absence. That's why it pays to check in to TP more often (ha!). Podcasts would be wonderful. Maybe then we can tune in to shows we missed. Hope your show went well and will be able to tune in to the next one. Good luck with your new adventure! - Maggie
Go to Top of Page

Ianui
Lokahi

USA
298 Posts

Posted - 02/07/2007 :  6:20:30 PM  Show Profile  Visit Ianui's Homepage
Shows will not be archieved for replay or set for download, but will be repeated at 9PM Friday nights

Slack Tracks will air 4PM to 5PM and again at 9PM to 10PM each Friday.

Reid I hope I'm not either one of those guys.

I have made a change in programming and will just present Dennis this week. trying to present both on same program just to much.

Edited by - Ianui on 02/07/2007 6:21:40 PM
Go to Top of Page

Pua Kai
Ha`aha`a

USA
1007 Posts

Posted - 02/08/2007 :  06:12:24 AM  Show Profile
Yay!!!!
Thank you for repeat performance!!! Now I don't have to choose between you and Bob's.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.11 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000