Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Hawaiian Slack Key Guitar / Hawaiian Music
 After Taro Patch--now what?
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Pua Kai
Ha`aha`a

USA
1007 Posts

Posted - 01/27/2007 :  07:04:15 AM  Show Profile
Hi Mike,
I too like the drop-C tuning. But Sarah's comment about retraining your thumb is very pertinant. If you're used to standard tuning, you are very used to the 5 string as base to the I and IV chords and the 6th string as base to the V7 chord. That's the way it is in taropatch, but with drop-C, where you used the 6th string as the bass for C, and the 5th string as base for G7, it fried my brain. Kevin Brown used that tuning for Ka Manu at the beginner class on Moloka'i a couple years ago and as a very new beginner, it hung me up so badly I kinda missed everything else.... but that's an old brain trying to work with short term memory. But now, I really like the drop C and it does give you a great other range for singing.
n
Go to Top of Page

Rich_Smith
Lokahi

USA
242 Posts

Posted - 01/27/2007 :  10:08:42 AM  Show Profile
What's the case for using standard tuning as some do?

Rich Smith
Go to Top of Page

Mika ele
Ha`aha`a

USA
1493 Posts

Posted - 01/27/2007 :  11:50:33 AM  Show Profile
Nothing wrong with standard tuning or "tight key" I used to play every Sunday in "tight key" 'cause it confused the rest of the worship team when I didn't.

The "beauty" of slack key tunings is the different tones and subtones created when strings you are not plucking make a sound as sympathetic vibration takes hold. Also many of the techniques used to produce say, a turnaround, or the ins/outs (walking parallel thirds/sixths) are more difficult to do in "tight key".

By the way, you can play "Blackbird" by the Beatles in TaroPatch very easily.

------
Mike,
I second or third or fourth what Sarah and Mark said. My problem is I hear a song I really like (for example, Keola's arrangement of Bali Hai and Strangers in Paradise Medley) and struggle to figure out how to play it in a tuning I have not yet mastered and there is no tablature for it.

Buy Mark's new Old Time Slack Key Book and CD, find the song that speaks to you the most, then put your guitar in that tuning and --- jus' press.

E nana, e ho'olohe. E pa'a ka waha, e hana ka lima.
Go to Top of Page

Sarah
`Olu`olu

571 Posts

Posted - 01/28/2007 :  05:41:37 AM  Show Profile
Rich,

In my humble opinion, because I don't play anything in standard tuning, I would say that the case for standard tuning is A) if that's the tuning you already know best and B) if you are in a situation where your fretting is cueing other players and they can't "read" slack key fingering.

Otherwise, I think the fact that standard tuning requires much more fret-work is a downside for two reasons. First, it's more work for the fingers and as Mika'ele pointed out, some basic vamp figures are harder to do, and second, one of the beauties of the slack key sound is the resonance of an open string and the mingling, and lingering, of open string resonances. To my ear, an open D, say, is more resonant than a fretted D, and so on. So there is an important tonal difference, I think. Furthermore, an open note can continue to resonate while your fingers move on to doing something else, instead of continuing to hold a fret to maintain that pitch.

However, that said, I do know that some very accomplished slack key players have played in standard and I haven't noticed -- so I think it depends also on the particular piece played, as well as the player.

How's that for muddying the waters...

aloha,
Sarah
Go to Top of Page

javeiro
Lokahi

USA
459 Posts

Posted - 01/28/2007 :  07:29:54 AM  Show Profile
Mika ele and Sarah make some good points, especially about resonance and sympathetic vibrations in open tunings. I learned to play in standard tuning way before I learned slack key so I sometimes accompany others in standard. And similarly to what both Mika ele and Sarah pointed out, (and to my ears at least) the more open strings a chord has, the better I like its sound. Therefore whenever I do accompany in standard tuning, I've almost unconciously taken to using chords with open strings as much as possible.

Aloha,
John A.
Go to Top of Page

Mark
Ha`aha`a

USA
1628 Posts

Posted - 01/28/2007 :  09:19:49 AM  Show Profile  Visit Mark's Homepage
Standard tuning became the standard because it works well for many different types of music. The most obvious benefits are in transposition and harmony -- you can play any chord or scale, in any key, in bunches of positions.

You can play complex harmonic music far easier than one would with open tunings (quick, try to play the changes to "All the Things you Are" in Taropatch, with the correct bass notes. Or "Waikiki," for that matter. But that one's easier cuz it mostly stays in one key.)

quote:
By the way, you can play "Blackbird" by the Beatles in TaroPatch very easily.

Which is how most people play it. Though I seem to remember reading somewhere that Paul played it in standard.

I agree slack key makes the guitar sound like magic. But standard has its advantages and a sensitive player can make it sound as sweet. Once you get past learning basic chords, it can be easier than slack, believe it or not. Why? Because you don't have to relearn the neck every time you change keys, for one thing.

And, to muddy the waters even further, Kevin Brown plays exclusively in slack; and I've sat in with him while he blew through some intensely complex changes in keys not even remotely related to where he was tuned.

Like I said somewhere along the way, it's about the music, not the tuning. Don't get hung up on one tuning or another. Play what's in your heart.

cheers,

M
Go to Top of Page

thumbstruck
Ahonui

USA
2165 Posts

Posted - 01/28/2007 :  10:21:50 AM  Show Profile
The main thing to remember about different tunings is that they are different. You have to learn the new fingerings and positions. You can observe corespondencies and similarities, but each tuning is it's own "instrument", and time and effort must be expended. It's also fun to scare them that's uninitiated to open tunings.
Go to Top of Page

mike2jb
Lokahi

USA
213 Posts

Posted - 01/28/2007 :  10:40:27 AM  Show Profile
Nancy, Sarah, Mark, et. al--

OK, I did try a few of these alternate tunings and, yeah, the thumb feels very different in, for example, Drop C or in D major, when I'm used to the Taro Patch bass pattern.

That said, I *really* like the sound and feel of that lowest bass note being the tonic, as opposed to the fifth-string G, as in Taro Patch.
Go to Top of Page

Pua Kai
Ha`aha`a

USA
1007 Posts

Posted - 01/28/2007 :  2:31:08 PM  Show Profile
Aloha,
Chunky Monkey, Mary and I went to the Makaha Sons concert yesterday and sat in the front row....
Both Jerome and Moon play in standard tuning. Jerome is just amazing - he has great big fingers, an Ovation 12-string, and plays chimes all over the place, and does a lot of picking. The music is SO sweet! and so are the voices and the whole performance was ono.... They are taping today for release before Christmas. They didn't bring any CDs to the show, only DVD - I hope this isn't the wave of the future, mostly because they cost twice. I'll have to see if they work in my car CD player to at least get the music.
So - not bad to stick with standard tuning if you're really good already.
jus' pres'
Go to Top of Page

Doug Fitch
Akahai

USA
80 Posts

Posted - 01/28/2007 :  11:37:30 PM  Show Profile  Visit Doug Fitch's Homepage
Different strokes... of course. Nonetheless (and for what its worth), I'm glad I was taught Drop C as my 2nd tuning because it opened up a lot of other possibilities. Having said this, please bear in mind that free advice is often worth what you paid for it! Take care and have fun.
Sincerely, Doug

Doug Fitch
fitchdoug @ yahoo.com
www.dougfitchmusic.com
http://youtube.com/user/dougfitchmusic
Go to Top of Page

Puna
Lokahi

USA
227 Posts

Posted - 01/29/2007 :  07:19:02 AM  Show Profile
At a workshop, Dennis Kamakahi said that he often composes in standard tuning, and then later changes it to a slacked tuning.

At jam sessions, I'll often go to standard, because my fingers know where to go while my brain is thinking of something else...singing/remembering the words, or trying to figure out what key the 'uke players changed the song to when I wasn't paying attention.

(However, if you are in standard and Mark is across from you in Taropatch and Kory is next to him in some other tuning, it doesn't do me any good to look at their chord patterns to try to figure out the key! So I watched the 'ukes.)

Puna
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.11 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000