Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Talk Story
 Finding Peace...
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Kapila Kane
Ha`aha`a

USA
1051 Posts

Posted - 01/30/2007 :  8:36:30 PM  Show Profile
Last summer, on Maui, George K. was asked in an interview on local Tv....with a slew of his students behind him, what was it about slack key and music camp that brought people here?
And in the midst of a very setup media situation, he said,
"Well, it's about looking for Peace."
well the exact words may have varied...
but it was so far out, I almost dropped my violin!

I really hadn't reasoned out why I spent a couple g's to be there...some years that's about all I made!
Of course it's beautiful...but it really didn't make sense career wise--it's actually my busiest time of year in music... or as a fiddler to go there to do some guitar and uke at which I am so-so...
But it is the basic truth.
Fifty something, a little scared, and maybe scarred...
I wanted something simple yet challenging.
Something about earth, sea, fire and sky.
About me, about you, about us, about Him (or Her)!

Floweres, trees, music, and all the Creator's gifts...whether in Hawaii, Colorado, Alaska, or Boston.
It's a soul search...and a snippet of peace in a chaotic world.
To play some descending 6ths, or alternating bass, or sliding turnarounds...
a tidbit or two in a foreign tongue...or the pulsating rhythms that bind us all.

It's all good.
Thank you George, and all...together on the road to some Peace on Earth, and, with a little luck, beyond.

Pua Kai
Ha`aha`a

USA
1007 Posts

Posted - 01/31/2007 :  09:32:05 AM  Show Profile
Nicely put -
You don't have to be alone and out of touch to find peace. You have to be open to finding it and sharing it, even with the windmills and dirt roads getting paved...
n
Go to Top of Page

JeffC
Lokahi

USA
189 Posts

Posted - 01/31/2007 :  1:58:10 PM  Show Profile  Visit JeffC's Homepage
Yes, Nicely put. Reminds me of an essay that I have worked on numerous times in my head but never put to paper (computer keyboard) about why slack key music has resonated so strongly for me that I picked up my guitars and began playing again as a serious amateur. Certainly peace and peacefulness in an increasingly hectic existence was part of that resonance.

Among the other things that come to mind about the artform are, its organicness, its honesty, its simplicity (by that I mean its uncluttered sound) that creates a feeling of accessibility for me in terms of my ability to own it or participate in it. And lets not forget its unabashed beauty and aloha.

These were some of the jumping-off points for me.

Jeff

Jeff

Making Trout Country safe for Slack Key!
Go to Top of Page

cpatch
Ahonui

USA
2187 Posts

Posted - 01/31/2007 :  2:41:31 PM  Show Profile  Visit cpatch's Homepage  Send cpatch an AOL message
quote:
Originally posted by Pua Kai

You don't have to be alone and out of touch to find peace.

That's true...I'm alone and out of touch and in a state of complete turmoil. (I kid...I'm not that out of touch.)

Craig
My goal is to be able to play as well as people think I can.

Edited by - cpatch on 01/31/2007 2:42:37 PM
Go to Top of Page

Pua Kai
Ha`aha`a

USA
1007 Posts

Posted - 01/31/2007 :  2:57:44 PM  Show Profile
Hey Patch!
Just almost out of touch - at least w/ us slackers. would be good to catch up with you one of these days. You and Rachel want to come up for the Borders performance? Can stay here if you'd like - long long drive for an hour of pure pleasure.
Pulikis!!
n
Go to Top of Page

javeiro
Lokahi

USA
459 Posts

Posted - 01/31/2007 :  3:56:14 PM  Show Profile
Kapila Kane, I think that there is a philosopher inside you struggling to come out. Either that or you were a philosopher in another life.

Peace can be found in many places, and as Pua Kai so aptly and succinctly put it, "You don't have to be alone and out of touch to find peace. You have to be open to finding it and sharing it....."

Peace is something that we all need to maintain our sanity and keep some balance in our generally hectic and busy lives. I have learned to find it in several places; on my morning jogs through the nearby forests, tending to the plants and trees in my back yard, making something for my grandkids out of some small scraps of wood, and playing my guitar in a quiet corner of the house. From reading some of your other posts and your bio, I think that you've already found some peace in various places too. Maybe you just need more of it?

Aloha,
John A.
Go to Top of Page

catheglass
Lokahi

USA
312 Posts

Posted - 02/07/2007 :  8:35:38 PM  Show Profile

E, that must be why I'm so very happy when I get to Maui and turn into the driveway for the Mauian and see the tents set up for Uncle George's music camp. Can't stop smiling. Then sitting on the sea wall and listening to the ocean, watching the sun set behind Molokai or the stars through the palm trees, it's peace.

And, Javeiro, when I read stories to the grandkids as we snuggle on the couch, or when they tell me stories.

And, Pua Kai, when I'm on or in or underneath the ocean........

cathe
Go to Top of Page

catheglass
Lokahi

USA
312 Posts

Posted - 02/07/2007 :  8:43:02 PM  Show Profile

E, that must be why I'm so very happy when I get to Maui and turn into the driveway for the Mauian and see the tents set up for Uncle George's music camp. Can't stop smiling. Then sitting on the sea wall and listening to the ocean, watching the sun set behind Molokai or the stars through the palm trees, it's peace.

And, Javeiro, when I read stories to the grandkids as we snuggle on the couch, or when they tell me stories.

cathe
Go to Top of Page

catheglass
Lokahi

USA
312 Posts

Posted - 02/07/2007 :  8:44:26 PM  Show Profile

cathe
Go to Top of Page

Julie H
Ha`aha`a

USA
1206 Posts

Posted - 02/07/2007 :  10:09:15 PM  Show Profile
Ah, Cathe....
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly