Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Talk Story
 Good book to read re: Kalaupapa
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

wcerto
Ahonui

USA
5052 Posts

Posted - 02/05/2007 :  11:28:13 AM  Show Profile
Just finished reading: No Footprints in the Sand - A Memoir of Kalaupapa (Paperback)
by Henry Nalaielua, Sally-jo Bowman

This is by no means great literature, but it is a great story. It is the story of a Big Island man who was diagnosed with Hansen's disease at age 10 and subsequently ended up at Kalaupapa. His story is not as frightening as some others I have read about Kalaupapa, I think, because he suffered this sickness in the mid-20th century, when things were more (just barely) humane. However, his stories of two daughters who had to be taken from their mother and father shortly after birth still break your heart. The resilience of the human spirit amazes me, and Henry's story of that resilience will leave a good feeling in your heart. You will chuckle at his kolohe stories.

Me ke aloha
Malama pono,
Wanda

Sarah
`Olu`olu

571 Posts

Posted - 02/06/2007 :  06:15:42 AM  Show Profile
Aloha, Wanda,

Have you read the real story of Kaluaiko'olau, written by his wife Pi'ilani? It is truly moving. And her Hawaiian beautifully poetic as well. Her story was translated by Francis N. Frazier, eminent scholar, and the book contains both the Hawaiian and the English, along with some photos.

It seem it might be nearly out of print, but I found it here:
http://www.alibris.com/search/books/isbn/097032930X

The True Story of Kaluaikoolau: As Told by His Wife, Piilani
The story of Kaluaikoolau (or Koolau) is one of Kauai's great legends. In 1892, after learning that he and his young son had contracted leprosy, Koolau fled with his family deep into Kalalau Valley. In June 1893 Koolau shot and killed a sherif and two Provisional Government soldiers who had been sent to arrest him. He vowed never to be taken alive and became a powerful symbol of resistance for many Hawaiians in the years following the overthrow of Queen Liliuokalani.
The story of Koolau's last years, as narrated by his devoted wife, Piilani, was published in Hawaiian in 1906. In this volume, the Hawaiian text is preceded by an English translation that successfully retains the poetic imagery and figurative language of the original. Many writers have attempted to tell Koolau's story, but none have been able to match the simple grace and poignancy of Piilani's narrative. It is one of only a handful of historical accounts by a native Hawaiian.

aloha,
Sarah

Edited by - Sarah on 02/06/2007 06:23:46 AM
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.09 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000