Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Hawaiian Slack Key Guitar / Hawaiian Music
 Grammy Awards next week in LA
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

dennyb
Aloha

USA
10 Posts

Posted - 01/31/2007 :  06:59:03 AM  Show Profile
Any Sack Key players, concerts, jams or gatherings in Los Angeles next week for the Grammy Awards?
Love to participate
dennyb

cpatch
Ahonui

USA
2187 Posts

Posted - 01/31/2007 :  07:12:47 AM  Show Profile  Visit cpatch's Homepage  Send cpatch an AOL message
quote:
Originally posted by dennyb

Any Sack Key players...

Sounds like a Summer picnic activity!

Craig
My goal is to be able to play as well as people think I can.
Go to Top of Page

Mika ele
Ha`aha`a

USA
1493 Posts

Posted - 01/31/2007 :  12:25:36 PM  Show Profile
Not in LA.
We have a weekly Slack Key Open Mike in Oceanside, CA every Tuesday evening.
Email me for details.

E nana, e ho'olohe. E pa'a ka waha, e hana ka lima.
Go to Top of Page

Auntie Maria
Ha`aha`a

USA
1918 Posts

Posted - 02/06/2007 :  11:31:10 AM  Show Profile
Keola Donaghy just posted this L.A. Times news article at nahenahe.net:
http://www.calendarlive.com/music/jazz/cl-et-hawaii5feb05,0,2640968.story

Auntie Maria
===================
My "Aloha Kaua`i" radio show streams FREE online every Thu & Fri 7-9am (HST)
www.kkcr.org - Kaua`i Community Radio
"Like" Aloha Kauai on Facebook, for playlists and news/info about island music and musicians!

Go to Top of Page

Lawrence
Ha`aha`a

USA
1597 Posts

Posted - 02/06/2007 :  1:03:46 PM  Show Profile
I know this is old ground and has been extolled extensively here before, but:

quote:
Keola Donaghy just posted this L.A. Times news article at nahenahe.net:
http://www.calendarlive.com/music/jazz/cl-et-hawaii5feb05,0,2640968.story

The silly thing is that many/most of the songs on last years Grammy winning album did have vocals. It is a mistake to imply that slack-key is instrumental only, after all, the leading proponent of "Modern Slack Key", Gabby Pahinui, also SANG on most of his recordings!

Also Melodic/Harmonic Singing like those cited in the article (Amy Gilliom, Brothers Cazimero, etc.), developed with the arrival of Europeans at the same time as melodic instrumental Hawaiian music developed, so it cannot claim much in terms of prior existence. Therefore modern melody and harmony singing is not any more Hawaiian than Slack Key.

If one were to have a TRUE traditional Hawaiian category, then it would be Chanting, Ipu, and Nose Flute, etc. only, with a limited palette of tones.

Hawaiian Reggae, which seems to be the most popular music in Hawaii right now, is also certainly not more Hawaiian than Slack Key. Even though it is what the majority of Hawaiian radio stations are "Pushing" these days. And to add insult to injury, most of those Stations are also owned and operated by Mainlanders (i.e: "clearchannel") as well.

Note also that on the mainland Vocal singing is also strongly preferred. Not many POP/ROCK/ALT/COUNTRY/PUNK/HIPHOP stations like to play much instrumental music either, so the preference toward Vocals is the same, but without the "more culturally valid" argument. After all, European music started from chanting as well. And how many instrumental musicians have won the American Idol competition??

Personally, I like most all music forms, and am glad there is a Hawaiian Category. And I am also glad that something as distinctively Hawaiian as a Slack Key titled album (with Vocals) won last years Grammy award.

Mahope Kākou...
...El Lorenzo de Ondas Sonoras

Edited by - Lawrence on 02/07/2007 07:34:00 AM
Go to Top of Page

Larry Goldstein
Lokahi

267 Posts

Posted - 02/06/2007 :  2:12:34 PM  Show Profile
Good points Lawrence.

When I was on the Big Island last year I was disappointed that 1) about all I could get on the radio was "Jawaiian" music, and 2) my hope of listening to KKCR while actually being on island was unfulfilled given it's limited signal.

Larry

Go to Top of Page

Retro
Ahonui

USA
2368 Posts

Posted - 02/06/2007 :  2:39:24 PM  Show Profile  Visit Retro's Homepage
The battle over what kind of music should represent the "Best Hawaiian Album" category was raging long before the first award was even presented. There were strong forces in the Islands that refused to support the creation of the category unless it featured only albums with all-vocal tracks and 100% `olelo Hawai`i, and they are still angry today - and we are talking some real powerhouse musicians, people whose names should and do garner great respect.

The challenge at present is to even keep the category alive beyond this year. There were, what...only 29 albums that passed the eligibility test for the category this year? If it slips below 25, NARAS will have to consider eliminating the award - after we've fought for it for so long.

The solution is to get more of the members of HARA to join NARAS, to stop infighting over what the category represents - or face the possibility that Hawaiian music does not deserve to be recognized by the Grammy Awards. I think that would be a shame.

=Gregg, a voting member of both HARA & NARAS (full disclosure)=
Go to Top of Page

Reid
Ha`aha`a

Andorra
1526 Posts

Posted - 02/06/2007 :  3:59:35 PM  Show Profile
Sarah and I get soooo depressed over the infighting between Locals, and especially between Locals who are majority Hawaiian. It is the same thing that used to be said about Israelis - you get 3 Jews together and you have 4 opinions. You might get 5 amongst Hawaiians and a bar fight, too. It is certainly true amongst Muslims, whatever DNA they have. But, we care about Hawaiians who are their own worst enemies. As a haole, I can't say more, but jeeeez, doesn't anybody see the ultimate result?

The Indians (AKA "Native Americans")cut all that crap out years ago and now they own the best part of CT and are all driving Beemers and Mercs and live in big houses and send their kids to the best schools. Just what is wrong in the Islands?

Wishing for sensibility,

...Reid
Go to Top of Page

Russell Letson
`Olu`olu

USA
504 Posts

Posted - 02/06/2007 :  6:38:07 PM  Show Profile  Visit Russell Letson's Homepage
I just wish they'd given the story to a writer who knows the difference between the 17th and 19th centuries, let alone the wit to note the distinction between the producer of an anthology album and the artists who supplied the contents.

Edited by - Russell Letson on 02/06/2007 6:38:30 PM
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.09 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000