Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Hawaiian Slack Key Guitar / Hawaiian Music
 Scale length for slack key
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Rich_Smith
Lokahi

USA
242 Posts

Posted - 02/01/2007 :  11:31:05 AM  Show Profile
Have any of you used a 24.9 scale length for slack key? I am considering building a guitar. I understand that the shorter scale is easier to play if you have small hands as I do, however I also understand that the shorter the scale the looser the strings. I think for slack key this would present a problem with the strings being too loose and buzzing. I may have to build a 25.4 instead.. I would appreciate your feedback on this? Thanks

Rich Smith

Reid
Ha`aha`a

Andorra
1526 Posts

Posted - 02/01/2007 :  3:01:40 PM  Show Profile
Rich,
I have a short scale, like the one you mention, guitar. It is a 12 fret walnut/redwood 0-size made by Hank Mauel. It does not buzz because of the neck set. It handles any slack key tuning perfectly well. Moreover, since the bridge is placed where it should be, in the "sweet spot", it is very resonant, with mucho bass, and very loud (volume), and... what can I say, except wonderful.

Buzz does *not* depend alone on scale length, or any other single factor. Mostly, it depends on neck set.

BTW, I bought this minty one used, after talking to Hank, and it cost me less than any factory guitar you care to name.

...Reid

Go to Top of Page

Rich_Smith
Lokahi

USA
242 Posts

Posted - 02/01/2007 :  4:53:04 PM  Show Profile
Did you try heavier gauge strings?

Rich Smith
Go to Top of Page

Reid
Ha`aha`a

Andorra
1526 Posts

Posted - 02/02/2007 :  03:16:21 AM  Show Profile
We like lights on all our guitars, regardless of size. All of them are loud enough and resonant enough with Pearse or D`addario lights. However, it would be possible to use mediums on any of them, and we have tried them, including the Pearse Slack Key set (#800) as experiments - all in Taropatch. No buzzes.

BTW, another factor, besides neck set (although secondary) is putting the frets in properly. The luthiers we know take great pride in their fretting ability. Do research on fret height before you start, if you haven't already. Strings don't vibrate in simple ways, and, depending on how you build it, you may find that it is best that some frets be slightly higher than others. I had one guitar's frets ground by a computer controlled Plek machine in Nashville, and it produced a purposely wavy pattern of fret heights which allowed a very low action without buzzing.

...Reid

...Reid
Go to Top of Page

Fran Guidry
Ha`aha`a

USA
1579 Posts

Posted - 02/02/2007 :  07:16:00 AM  Show Profile  Visit Fran Guidry's Homepage
I have played slack key for hours on a Larrivee Parlor with a 24" scale. No problem.

Fran

E ho`okani pila kakou ma Kaleponi
Slack Key Guitar in California - www.kaleponi.com
Slack Key on YouTube
Homebrewed Music Blog
Go to Top of Page

andyjade
Akahai

USA
51 Posts

Posted - 02/02/2007 :  07:17:14 AM  Show Profile
Just picked up a 68 Epiphone parlor. I've only tried it in Taro Patch, but the buzz was nil......
Go to Top of Page

Rich_Smith
Lokahi

USA
242 Posts

Posted - 02/02/2007 :  07:26:24 AM  Show Profile
Perhaps my fears are unfounded. I may well build a 24.9 scale guitar for slack key after all. A consideration may be to build it tough enough to handle medium strings. Thanks all for the feedback! Rich

Rich Smith
Go to Top of Page

RWD
`Olu`olu

USA
850 Posts

Posted - 02/02/2007 :  10:24:22 AM  Show Profile
Reid
This is the first time I have heard about wavy fret height. Intersting concept! It must be based on node patterns at different string lenghts.
Bob

Bob
Go to Top of Page

Reid
Ha`aha`a

Andorra
1526 Posts

Posted - 02/02/2007 :  11:31:17 AM  Show Profile
Bob, it is not really noticeable to the casual eye, but it is much as you say. That's what the Plek machine is all about. It is a computer with an extensive database of strings, tensions, experimental results, scale lengths, tunings, fretboard radii and width, etc. They input all your guitar's variables, the computer searches its database for your input variables and calculates optimum fret heights and shapes. Then, it controls - it is really a CNC machine - a grinder head that grinds each fret.

It was developed in Germany and they thought that it would be sold all over the world, but they were wrong. The only one in the US is the one in Nashville, because that town has a very high concentration of guitarists and guitars. In general, as I said, most really good luthiers are very proud of their fretting ability and they don't like the idea of relinquishing that job to a machine. But, N`ville luthiers and players use it enough so that it pays for itself and its owner. There was an article about it in AG mag a few years ago, and there was a lot of skepticism about it. But, it does, in fact, work. Moreover, the luthier who built the guitar, who is not in the least a humble man, readily admitted that it does the job better than he can.

...Reid
Go to Top of Page

Fran Guidry
Ha`aha`a

USA
1579 Posts

Posted - 02/03/2007 :  06:03:19 AM  Show Profile  Visit Fran Guidry's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by Reid

It was developed in Germany and they thought that it would be sold all over the world, but they were wrong. The only one in the US is the one in Nashville, ...

...Reid

Sorry, Reid, your info is a bit out of date:

http://www.plek.com/index.php?master=Plek+in+USA

Fran

E ho`okani pila kakou ma Kaleponi
Slack Key Guitar in California - www.kaleponi.com
Slack Key on YouTube
Homebrewed Music Blog
Go to Top of Page

Reid
Ha`aha`a

Andorra
1526 Posts

Posted - 02/03/2007 :  06:21:22 AM  Show Profile
Wow Fran! Yeah, I had it done several years ago at Glasers. Actually, the proliferation of the Plek is comforting. It indicates that it really isn't voodoo (unless many more people are being deceived :-).

...Reid

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.11 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000