Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Hawaiian Slack Key Guitar / Hawaiian Music
 GUITARS ON AIRPLANES by Mark Hanson
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

Karen
Aloha

USA
6 Posts

Posted - 12/03/2002 :  5:16:36 PM  Show Profile
Hi All -

I have traveled the South Pacific, Europe and all over the USA with my guitar for the past 12 years and have never had a problem with it.

Usually, I travel via United and Aloha Airlines. My guitar is in a hard shell case with a heavily padded cover case that is locked. The planes range from 20 seaters to the big ones.

I have seen baggage handlers slam the case down on the belt going into the belly of the plane, load my sound equipment (including a heavy speaker) on top of my guitar case, etc. Both of my guitars have survived with no damage. Most of the abuse has been on my Ovation since I have had it longer. My Rainsong is built to take more abuse and it has done well with multiple trips to the east coast and Alaska.

I agree with Mark - be friendly and look nice when you get to the ticket counter. I have had great luck with this and have never paid for oversized luggage for my guitar - even though it is fairly big with the padded cover case.

I traveled for a few years with an electronic keyboard using the soft case and gate check method. It was such a nightmare that we decided to eliminate the keyboards from our shows altogether. This was before 9/11 and before the TWA crash a few years ago. Many times they wouldn't let me take the case onboard even if they had closets or it fit in the overhead bins. Frequently, it went down conveyer belts after failing to show up at the jetway upon landing. It was horrible.

I am thankful that I have had such good luck (knock on wood) with the cases and packing that I have done with my guitar so that I have not had to endure what I did with the keyboards.

I also make sure that I, or my performing partner, get down to the baggage claim area as soon as possible after landing. Most airports do not have security anymore to check your baggage tags at the baggage claim areas. Many airlines (and this depends on the airport) do not have special luggage areas for oversized luggage that check your baggage tags either. This can be a problem if you worry about your guitar getting ripped off before you get to it. I make 3 to 8 trips to the mainland and over 12 inter-island trips per year and I almost always get to the baggage claim area before my luggage does.

Happy trails -
Karen

Go to Top of Page

RJS
Ha`aha`a

1635 Posts

Posted - 12/04/2002 :  12:49:51 AM  Show Profile
Karen,
I've been thinking of adding one of the padded covers to my hard case. Do you have any manufacturer's contact info on your cover.
Anyone else have any recommendations?
Raymond
San Jose
PS - I usually check my guitar - average of 4 -5 flights/year on United -- for 2 1/2 years - no problem, yet. (Boy, next time I just know I'm gonna get creamed.)
Go to Top of Page

Lawrence
Ha`aha`a

USA
1597 Posts

Posted - 12/04/2002 :  1:02:25 PM  Show Profile

So the safest tactic of putting the thing in a flight case and checking it may also be the most expensive tactic because of newly imposed oversize charges. Aaaahwheigh...

Mahope Kākou...
...El Lorenzo de Ondas Sonoras
Go to Top of Page

Pauline Leland
`Olu`olu

USA
783 Posts

Posted - 12/04/2002 :  1:16:09 PM  Show Profile
I mentioned the oversize charges on another forum, they thought I was nuts, so maybe it's more likely on flights to Hawaii. That's not much help on this forum.

Pauline
Go to Top of Page

Karen
Aloha

USA
6 Posts

Posted - 12/14/2002 :  6:26:09 PM  Show Profile
Hi RJS -

Sorry that it has taken some time for me to get back to you - I was on Oahu performing!

I purchased two of the padded soft cover cases in 1990 from a company in Canada. It was very expensive since I had to pay more than the price of one case just to cover the import taxes - this was in the days before GATT and NAFTA.

The name of the company is no longer on the cases and I can't remember the name either. However, I have seen a similar case offered by a company on the mainland (I think it is on the east coast) in Acoustic Guitar magazine or Performing Songwriter magazine.

When I have a little more time - probably after the holidays - I will pull up some of my old issues and try to get some more information to you. We have gigs this coming week, photo ops, etc. and I am cleaning out my office since my day-time job ends on Dec. 31st (YEAH!).

Happy holidays!

Karen
Go to Top of Page

Reid
Ha`aha`a

Andorra
1526 Posts

Posted - 12/21/2002 :  1:54:59 PM  Show Profile
I cribbed this from El McMeen's CGDGAD ListServ. It shows how bad things are now for musicians on airlines. To anybody who takes a trip with guitar, espcially to Hawai`i; let us know how you fare.

...Reid

-----------------------------------------------------------

This is the on-line version of an article in today's Cincinnati
Enquirer that I thought the touring musicians here would be
interested in reading.

http://enquirer.com/editions/2002/12/20/tem_deltaviolins20.html

Besides the article itself, it has some hyperlinks to the American
Symphony Orchestra League's Tips for Traveling Musicians, the
Transportation Security Administration website, and Delta Airlines
policy about musical instruments.
Go to Top of Page

Reid
Ha`aha`a

Andorra
1526 Posts

Posted - 12/22/2002 :  2:15:06 PM  Show Profile
I also went to Continental's and United's web sites. They both define "oversize" checked luggage as 62 linear inches - formed by summing length + width + height. Calton cases are about 3 inches *over* that, so they will think they have a right to nail us for $80 bucks each. If you check a guitar in a case less than that, bring a copy of the web page rules and a small pocket tape measure - I am not kidding. Then, you can counter any nastiness. BTW, they allow you to check Christmas trees for nothing and allow "certain sports equipment" such as skis, to be substituted for 1 bag, no charge. But, they will charge you $80 for antlers that you want to bring home! What a mess.

I would rather send a guitar to Hawai`i fedex or ups - it costs about the same from CT - less from the Left Coast, gets there about as fast and doesn't sit baking in the sun on the flight line apron (I have seen that happen to mine and Sarahs's in HNL).

...Reid

Edited by - Reid on 12/22/2002 2:19:03 PM
Go to Top of Page

Admin
Pupule

USA
4551 Posts

Posted - 05/09/2003 :  12:07:24 PM  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage  Send Admin an AOL message  Send Admin an ICQ Message  Send Admin a Yahoo! Message
Since summer travel and guitar camp season will be upon us soon, I thought I'd revisit this topic. FYI, Continental has also lowered the allowable weight for checked luggage to 50lbs.

This site had a humorous but accurate illustration (even though it's common sense) of how to carry your guitar onboard. http://timberens.com/essays/miscellaneoustips.htm

Andy
Go to Top of Page

Pauline Leland
`Olu`olu

USA
783 Posts

Posted - 05/09/2003 :  12:58:27 PM  Show Profile
Andy,

OT, but I'm listening to the audio on that site. I like the first 2 minutes of what I hear! Thanks.

Pauline
Go to Top of Page

mdst
Aloha

USA
1 Posts

Posted - 01/04/2004 :  11:58:17 PM  Show Profile  Visit mdst's Homepage
I looked everywhere on the internet for any information on traveling with a guitar on any airlines without much luck. I even contacted some airlines directly and got completely different answers depending on who I talked with.

I purchased a seat for my guitar on Southwest airlines going from Oakland International airport to Chicago midway. Not knowing what to expect, and figured I would have an easier time as I purchased a seat for my guitar. I Did take my kids with me on the trip which I believed helped a great deal.

Going thru security was easy, the guitar fit in the xray and no one opened the case.
I checked with the gate person and asked to preboard and they said since I had a seat for my guitar that would be no problem. The flight was packed, and many of the passengers gave me dirty looks when they saw I had my guitar on the floor agains't the seat with the seatbelt around the neck area of the case. Even the airline people seemed confused. Several came up to me and said "You can't have that guitar there", and I said it has its own prepaid seat and they still seemed to want to offer me grief about it, one even took my stub and said something is wrong here, but then they closed the doors to the plane and all went well. The trip back was the same, comments from people, and dirty looks as I purchased a seat for my guitar. And yes an airline person came to me and said "you can't have that guitar there", and I said are you telling me the ticket I purchased for this guitar is not valid?, and he walked away and left me alone, and my guitar made it.

It seems to be EXTREMELY rare for a musician to purchase a seat for a guitar. I talked with several airline persons and they said they never saw anyone purchase a seat for a guitar. There were some on my flight that had guitars and they stored them in the overhead, but it is still subject to who is on the plane and what mood they are in on whether you can bring the thing on the plane. Southwest airlines seems to be the most musician friendly however.

So in summary, if you want peace of mind, TAKE THE TRAIN...
Go to Top of Page

Konabob
`Olu`olu

USA
928 Posts

Posted - 01/05/2004 :  11:19:32 AM  Show Profile  Visit Konabob's Homepage  Send Konabob an AOL message
Hmmm. Something I find missing from this discussion is 'commuter aircraft'. Whenever I fly from Kona to Maui or Oahu, I will take the commuter planes anytime. 1) No security check 2) No long lines 3) Few or no sick people 4) They never give me any problems with musical instruments.
Last summer I arrived at George K's camp with my weissenborn in a soft case and 2 of my walkingstick basses. The flight was great, I was treated like a human. If you are traveling under 300 miles, chances are, that there is a small plane which will be more than happy to take you there.

Those of you flying to a workshop in Hawaii might like to bookmark this site: http://www.bountymusic.com/shop.html
I always rent a bass amp from them when I arrive on Maui. I have always been treated well.
-aloha,
Konabob

Konabob's Walkingbass - http://www.konawalkingbass.com
Taropatch Steel - http://www.konaweb.com/konabob/
YouTube - http://www.youtube.com/results?search_type=&search_query=Konabob2+Walkingbass

Edited by - Konabob on 01/05/2004 11:21:02 AM
Go to Top of Page

Mark
Ha`aha`a

USA
1628 Posts

Posted - 01/05/2004 :  2:52:44 PM  Show Profile  Visit Mark's Homepage
Well, I'm sure one of the reasons that you are treated so nice, Konabob, is because you are nice and pleasant yourself.

As this subject comes up every year, I'll repeat myself... again. Basically, professional musicians fly with their guitars every single day. The percentage of mishaps is tiny. It's the guys who fly once or twice a year who think they are going to have the trouble -- and tend to.

Is the Calton case officially "oversized?" Sorta... but neither me, nor anyone I know, has ever been hit with the oversized charge. Will you? I'd say it would depend on your attitude.

Aside from the ususal advaice about getting a shipping box or one of Bruce Lamb's cases (yes, they are oversized, too. Anyone have any experience here?) -- you can always take the chance on the softcase/overhead bin route:

Here's a trick I picked up from Greg and Jerre Canote -- Greg (or is it Jerre?) slings his softcase over his back using the two straps -- upside down! So from the front it looks as if he's wearing a backpack. Then Jerre (Greg???) stands next to him, and they approach the gate with big smiles -- do the boarding pass biz, then turn in unison so the unemcumbered twin hides the guitar from the agent as they waltz onto the plane. Whistling a happy tune, I might add.

You gotta admit it's cute!

Happy flying.

Mark

Go to Top of Page

Admin
Pupule

USA
4551 Posts

Posted - 01/05/2004 :  4:30:45 PM  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage  Send Admin an AOL message  Send Admin an ICQ Message  Send Admin a Yahoo! Message
I posted the link above but will repost it one more time. A picture is worth a thousand words.
quote:
From http://timberens.com/essays/miscellaneoustips.htm

Flying With Your Guitar

I use a Mark Leaf case (http://www.markleaf.com). It is built like a tank and is waterproof and airtight. It is great for checking guitars like a Gibson L5. If I have to travel with more than one instrument, I'll check one in the Leaf case and carry another on.

The best trick I've found for carrying instruments on is to use a shoulder strap on the case. If the strap connects to the sides of the case, (one by the neck, and one by the lower bout), you can hang the guitar along the side of your body. As you approach the ticket agent, hang the guitar on the side of your body away from the ticket agent. The guitar will be almost invisible to them, and you can slip right on the plane.

Here's a guy carrying a great big guitar.
"Sir, that guitar will not fit into the overhead bins."

This guy is carrying the same guitar, but now it doesn't look so big.

One thing you do not want to do is to discuss the matter ahead of time with the ticket agents where the baggage is checked. They will insist that you check it. If you wait until everyone is boarding, the gate agent, who is facing a long line of customers, is much more likely to let you by rather than cause a scene.

Note that it does not always work. Some agents will flatly refuse to let you carry your guitar on. In those cases, you will "gate check" it. Baggage that is gate checked will be handled a bit more gingerly than baggage that is checked at the main baggage check point. If you have to gate check it, loosen the strings a bit before turning it over to the gorillas.

Good luck this year. Happy travels.

Andy
Go to Top of Page

wdf
Ha`aha`a

USA
1153 Posts

Posted - 01/08/2004 :  12:37:14 AM  Show Profile
I'm in Kona right now and brought my rainsong in its hardshell case inside of one of Bruce Lamb's cases (flew Hawaiian Air from San Diego - checked with my check-in luggage). No problems, no overcharges, it arrived in perfect condition.

We'll be heading to Kaua`i tomorrow and will report in a few days.

Dusty
Go to Top of Page

haolegirl
Aloha

USA
10 Posts

Posted - 01/10/2004 :  02:10:12 AM  Show Profile
Hi, all

I also just got back from Hawai'i this week and took my guitar ( a dreadnaught) with me. It was in an SKB case and that was in turn inside a Bruce Lamb overcase. The strings had been loosened and it was snugly packed. I was a little worried about the possibility of oversize charges, but didn't have any. Note: Even though the security level had just been raised to "orange" before I flew, I went right to a skycap, gave him some money and off my guitar went.

I did the very same thing on the return trip and all went well. Besides, I didn't suffer all the anxiety I used to, wondering if I'd be able to gate check it, etc. It's a nice way to go.....
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.11 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000