Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Hawaiian Slack Key Guitar / Hawaiian Music
 GUITARS ON AIRPLANES by Mark Hanson
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

slackkeylady
Aloha

35 Posts

Posted - 01/11/2004 :  6:19:05 PM  Show Profile  Visit slackkeylady's Homepage
I went to the US mainland for Xmas and bought a hard shell case for my Big Baby Taylor. (Taylor does not make hard cases for that model)I carried the guitar on the planes in the gig bag. Nobody hasseled me BUT it was kind of a pain because I don't feel that the gig bag is very well designed....and it has hooks for two straps so I guess you could carry it back pack style...but it only came with one strap. ANYWAY.....the funny thing was, when I got back to Hawaii, a guy came out carrying the guitar case and he said something like, "We always take special care of these.", which was very surprising, very cool actually (American Airlines). Little did he know that all that was in that case was a pillow, a pair of shoes, a book, and a pareau!
I just e mailed Patrick Landeza yesterday asking what I should do. Carry on ? Check through? I think I've decided to chance it and check the guitar through on all 15 flights of the upcoming tour. If something happens, I have insurance, but it will be a hassel getting to a store, dealing with the pick up....arrrgh.... there it goes again, the little voice saying YOU FOOL carry that guitar on and don't let it out of your sight!
Maybe I'll call Taylor and see if I can get another strap for the goofy gig bag.....maybe buy another gig bag that works a little better and carry it on!
Saw Dusty and Sheila at the gigs the last 2 nights. ALOHA FROM KAUAI!!!!!!!
Andy, mahalo for the video.....I have not had a chance to watch it yet! Maybe today. Making travel arrangements has been consuming my days. I will stay on for a few days at the end of the tour in Virginia and go hear Beethoven's 9th @ the Kennedy Center on Friday the 13th (FEB.) I will leave the guitar at my friend's house that night!

Aloha Nui Loa, Slack Key Lady
Go to Top of Page

Admin
Pupule

USA
4551 Posts

Posted - 01/11/2004 :  6:47:35 PM  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage  Send Admin an AOL message  Send Admin an ICQ Message  Send Admin a Yahoo! Message
quote:
Originally posted by slackkeylady

I just e mailed Patrick Landeza yesterday asking what I should do. Carry on ? Check through?
Hi Cindy,

Are you playing the Baby Taylor on this tour? I would probably try bringing it on board but if the airline said no, I'd gate check it. Of course, pros like you usually do just check it through I think.

This summer, I Ozzie Kotani was flying interisland with a gig bag but I noticed that it had much better padding than my cheapo. Don't know what brand he used but has anyone ever tried gator cases (http://www.gatorcases.com/sections/prdct/guitar/lightweight.htm)?
quote:
Andy, mahalo for the video.....I have not had a chance to watch it yet! Maybe today.
Probably not very interesting for you to watch yourself teach but I promised you the April '02 footage of your classes. Funniest was when we were all trying to tap harmonics a la Keola in Makee Ailana.

Have a great trip and tour. New York will miss you. Let me know if you'd like to visit NYC at all before heading back home.

Andy
Go to Top of Page

Mark
Ha`aha`a

USA
1628 Posts

Posted - 01/12/2004 :  11:26:36 PM  Show Profile  Visit Mark's Homepage
Hey Cindy -

How's Bayou? I don't know your tour itinerary (which would be a big HINT) but Annie and I would love to see ya.

Any open dates? I'm dusting off my promoter chops...

Best of luck and mucho love-o from the Hemojangs and me.

Oh, about guitars on airplanes -- not a good idea to try to bring your Marshall Stack in the cabin. The 12 volt system really messes up the tubes, dudes.

cheers,
Mark
Go to Top of Page

slackkeylady
Aloha

35 Posts

Posted - 01/16/2004 :  04:04:37 AM  Show Profile  Visit slackkeylady's Homepage
Yeh man....I was bummed when my tubes blew. Haha Mark....very funny. Good good here....although stressing on getting ready for this tour. My daughter and I assembled 160 "Land of the Endless Summer" CDs and I shipped some to Fairbanks. Dancing Cat only had 37 "Slack Key Lady"s left so they went into emergency manufacture mode and I'll have some by the time I get to Seattle. I still don't have a 'proper' coat...guess my duster with all my clothes on underneath will do. Say hi to Annie.....and yes! Put me on your tour right away...I mean after this one. Check schedule on my new unadulterated website http://www.slackkeylady.com Set up a SPRING or SUMMER TOUR please!
Andy, I still haven't watched the videobut I have been trying to remember just how sill it got......still....I think I revealed some modern slack key secrets! Gotta watch it for the bing bings.
I have been so stoked playing traditional Hawaiian music 3 nights a week....the uke and the bass really cut and give me a space to rock. Can't wait to play with Cyril, Dennis, and Patrick and compare licks!
MARTIN'S NEW RECORD IS SUPERB! Just thought I'd throw that in. No guarantees but I will try to check in from somewhere out there if I can.
I am going to check the Big Baby in and see what happens. Dennis and Cyril do it all the time. Wish me luck!
God bless you all and this forum.

Go to Top of Page

wdf
Ha`aha`a

USA
1153 Posts

Posted - 01/16/2004 :  5:10:18 PM  Show Profile
quote:
I'm in Kona right now and brought my rainsong in its hardshell case inside of one of Bruce Lamb's cases (flew Hawaiian Air from San Diego - checked with my check-in luggage). No problems, no overcharges, it arrived in perfect condition.

We'll be heading to Kaua`i tomorrow and will report in a few days.

No problem from Kona to Lihue except that my regular checked suitcase weighed in at 63 lbs (13 over the new 50 lb limit) and the ba$#&%*s charged an extra $25 even though we only had 3 bags to check for the two of us. So, pack carefully.

It was great seeing Cindy - wew will see her again tonight at the Hanapepe Cafe.

Dusty
Go to Top of Page

slackkeylady
Aloha

35 Posts

Posted - 01/16/2004 :  7:30:11 PM  Show Profile  Visit slackkeylady's Homepage
Yikes! Did not know about the 50lb. limit. I have no clue how much my biggie weighs....will have to wait and see. If I get charged $25 per flight that'll be at least $125 more than I've already spent.

Go to Top of Page

Julie H
Ha`aha`a

USA
1206 Posts

Posted - 01/17/2004 :  01:25:44 AM  Show Profile
Dusty, I'm 5'1" tall. Would I fit into your Bruce Lamb case, bundled up against the cold with my flask of Scotch? Take me to Hawai'i la next time you go... Alloohhaabrrr, it's cold in those cargo holds.
Julie
Go to Top of Page

Lopaka
Aloha

USA
23 Posts

Posted - 01/20/2004 :  12:21:22 AM  Show Profile  Send Lopaka a Yahoo! Message
Thought I'd add my thanks and experience... First, thanks to everyone for their tips/suggestions. I'll definitely seek out options (e.g. borrowing/renting a guitar) next time I travel. That way, there's no heartbreak if my "baby" is damaged/ruined. Second, I traveled last November on American and was able to take my guitar in it's padded gig bag onboard on ALL six legs (three cities). Four of the six legs I hung the bag over my shoulder (like the picture Andy posted) and no one said a thing. On the two other legs, I asked at the gate when checking in (I was worried because the flights were full) and both times they let me board early so I could stow it in the closet. I will say that Mark Hanson's advice about being polite and well dressed does work in most cases - it did for me... but the scary thing is that I had no clue! I didn't read these tips until tonight. And based on my previous experience, I would have traveled again thinking that everything would be okay. Now, I know better and will make alternate plans when possible - that way I can avoid a rude awakening!

Mahalo

H a w a i i a n ..at heart!
Go to Top of Page

Lawrence
Ha`aha`a

USA
1597 Posts

Posted - 01/20/2004 :  12:47:39 PM  Show Profile
Just to let folks know that American Airlines is not always so kind, they broke my guitar (after forcing me to gate check it) on the first of 11 flights. I was quite polite but they were not willing to accomodate.

It cost me $50 to call the states (from Tobago) to AA customer service in Miami, just to find out that I had to ship my guitar to Chicago (at my expense) and wait 90 days for them to repair it.

All repairs/replacments were limited to a $250 MAXIMUM.

This essentially meant that it was not worth having to deal will AA at all.

I ended up getting some black 5 minute epoxy (the only stuff available on Tobago) and fixing the Guitar myself, so I could use it for the rest of the trip. I later gave that Guitar to George Kahumoku to pass on to one of his students.

Lesson: Flyer Beware !

Mahope Kākou...
...El Lorenzo de Ondas Sonoras
Go to Top of Page

wdf
Ha`aha`a

USA
1153 Posts

Posted - 01/20/2004 :  8:49:27 PM  Show Profile
quote:
Dusty, I'm 5'1" tall. Would I fit into your Bruce Lamb case, bundled up against the cold with my flask of Scotch? Take me to Hawai'i la next time you go... Alloohhaabrrr, it's cold in those cargo holds.
Julie

Yep you'll fit. You might have to curl your toes

P.S. no problems on the trip home - no extra charges either

Dusty
Go to Top of Page

RJS
Ha`aha`a

1635 Posts

Posted - 01/21/2004 :  01:04:38 AM  Show Profile
I had a problem with United - (though not with guitar)
My wife and I checked in 3 bags total - one weighed 54 lbs , with a three bag total of 124 lbs, and they tried to hit us with one of those surcharges. Even a supervisor wouldn't wave it. Well, it took me almost 20 minutes to figure out what I should transfer to one of the other bags (we were travelling out of San Jose where only 3 windows were open and people were getting upset about the time I was taking, but when I explained what was happening, I got a round of applause) I almost felt guilty doing that to the clerk who was "only following orders" but I was feeling angry.
Raymond
San Jose
Go to Top of Page

richard
Aloha

USA
28 Posts

Posted - 01/21/2004 :  8:33:26 PM  Show Profile  Visit richard's Homepage
A success story: Last August I took a Taylor from Florida to the Aloha camp. Put it in a heavy Taylor case, put that in a standard corrogated guitar shipping box, padded with clothes. Checked it both ways (Ft. Lauderdale through LAX to Kona and back. Absolutely no problems. At Kona on the way back I told the security inpector it was a guitar, and that I'd really liked lessons with Keola Beamer. He gave a big grin with an "OK Brudda! No inspection, no questions --just an easy trip back home.

BTW - a word on cases. The toe and heel of the guitar body must BOTH touch the bottom of the wide part of the case. The neck must also touch the bottom of its support. Sometimes just the toe of the body and the neck neck touch, with some space under the heel of the guitar. This puts a horrible strain on the instrument if dropped on the back and is a sure way to snap a neck.

Aloha,
Richard
Go to Top of Page

Puna
Lokahi

USA
227 Posts

Posted - 01/22/2004 :  2:17:52 PM  Show Profile
On flights to and from Hawaii, I usually ended up being asked if I could play any of that 'slack key stuff', which led to some pleasant conversations and the guitar being hand carried to the plane by the baggage handler (guitar had loose strings, packed in an oversize hardshell, and padded with various clothing items).

For a couple flights to Fresno, I just took my Baby Taylor in the gig bag as a carry on. They ran it through the x-ray same as everything else. The only time that anything was said was when the x-ray attendant asked to see the guitar...not because he was suspicious, but because he'd never seen such a small guitar and wondered how it sounded. After a very brief impromptu concert I was on my way.

Puna
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.17 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000