Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Performance/Event Announcements & Reviews
 Makana Live TOUR REPORT!
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

alohakanakaluka
Lokahi

USA
135 Posts

Posted - 02/02/2007 :  08:39:33 AM  Show Profile  Visit alohakanakaluka's Homepage
Wow drove down to Monterey last night to meet up with Makana and see his show at Monterey Live. First off I have to say "WOW"... What a great little venue! Beautiful and Elegant set up in a perfect area!

Had some Japanese food at "KOTO" right around the corner from the Venue! That was Amazing and the prices were EXCELLENT! Plus it was a REAL Japanese owner! Always important in my opinion. Check this place out if your down there!

Makana's show was hands down the most electrifying, intense, powerful, graceful and moving show I have probably EVER seen... His range with open tunings and Ki ho'alu is ABSOLUTELY amazing!

I have to say I have followed his music over the years and this was my FIRST time actually hearing him and watching one of his performances!

With a practically FULL HOUSE, Makana took us on a Traditional
Ki ho'alu Journey with perfection along with his amazing ability to tell stories and make connections with the past... His knowledge of the music, its roots and something that not too many people in the world with their music do that often... "Make us... Feel."

He said something that struck me last night about why we all CONNECT with Hawaiian music...He said: "You know one thing about Hawaiian music that I think draws so many of us into it is that the Hawaiian's were so connected to the earth and all of the surroundings... Hence the Kaona in mele..." "Maybe the reason we become so attracted to this style of music is that we can feel that when we either hear it or play it"... I totally agree.

His range in vocals and his ability to blend and mold into every particle of his playing, completely blew me away...

Starting with a Tradtional Hawaiian Set, his rich version of Uncle Sonny's "Fado", Slack Key number 1, Hi'ilawe and so much more were anything less but amazing!

He then stretched on and into his own mind as he played his own originals as the crowd watched in awe...Seemingly standing still...

Wow I could go on and on folks... If you HAVEN'T seen Makana play before... Now is the time...

He will be at the UPTOWN NITE CLUB in OAKLAND
Monday February 5th 9:30pm with Steve Inglis

Tuesday February 6th The Attic Santa Cruz with Steve Inglis

And another show in SF on the 10th at Biscuit and Blues.

Along with his workshops both in Santa Cruz and Palo Alto if you have ANY questions please feel free to contact me!

Will be checkin' back in soon!
A hui hou,
Timmy

kapuamakamae
Aloha

USA
6 Posts

Posted - 02/02/2007 :  09:31:49 AM  Show Profile
Aloha e Timmy and fellow "Slack Heads",

Makana's Monterey Live show was over da top, brah! (You found Koto eh?) He played and sang all of my Hawaiian favorites: E Nihi Ka Hele, Pu'uanahulu, Hi'ilawe, Ku'u Lei 'Awapuhi, RIPPED on the slack key instrumentals, and it was SO incredible to see him perform in such an intimate venue! I've been following Makana's career since I caught him at Duke's in Waikiki quite a few years ago. He's an "old soul." I'm going up to Santa Cruz to see him again, along with the phenomenal Stephen Inglis this coming Tuesday! See you all there!

Aloha a hui hou,
Kapua
Go to Top of Page

hawaiianmusiclover06
`Olu`olu

USA
562 Posts

Posted - 02/07/2007 :  12:15:22 AM  Show Profile  Visit hawaiianmusiclover06's Homepage  Send hawaiianmusiclover06 an AOL message  Click to see hawaiianmusiclover06's MSN Messenger address  Send hawaiianmusiclover06 a Yahoo! Message
Aloha e Timmy! Mahalo nui loa for the report! Sounds like you had a great night. Wish I could have come! Maybe I catch Makana when he plays back home here on O'ahu.

Aloha Kakou, maluhia a me aloha mau loa (Hello everyone, peace and love forever)
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.11 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000