Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Performance/Event Announcements & Reviews
 Cyril, George & Patrick in Redwood City (photos)
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Stacey
Lokahi

USA
169 Posts

Posted - 11/23/2002 :  11:20:06 PM  Show Profile
Aloha, Cyber Ohana!
Last night, 11-22-02 I saw a fantastic performance by Patrick Landeza, George Kahumoku Jr., and Cyril Pahinui at Forester's Hall in Redwood City, CA!!! If you get the chance, go see them! You won't be disappointed. It was so enjoyable to be immersed in the Aloha Spirit ~ to sit back and watch da Masters at work and play. Sorry, I didn't keep track of all the songs they played, but I can say that each gave a commendable performance, intermingled with amusing stories about family, friends and food!!! I got there early and got a front row seat, so attached are a few pictures I took that I wanted to share with all of you ~ enjoy!!!
Before the show started I was just hangin' out, watchin' the set-up and Cyril Pahinui came over and sat and talked with me for a good 15 minutes. WOW! He said, "You must be a slack key student, because you're here early to get a front row seat to watch our fingers." I laughed and said, "You got it! I have a lot to learn!" What an incredibly nice person he is! He chatted about playing slack key guitar, his next tour destinations, and his road weariness. He talked about his wife, children and grandchildren, asked me about my own family and if I'd be at George's Workshop next June. I sure wish I could attend the workshop, but alas, the economy slump has affected us and we won't be able to go to Hawai'i next year. Perhaps the following year.
I also talked with Patrick Landeza and said I've been following his tour info on taropatch.net and he was very excited about how this forum brings us all together! Mahalo nui loa, Andy!
Well, I'm going to go play some slack key now that I've been given all this inspiration! -*"*-.,,.-*"*-.,,.-*"*-.,,.-
Aloha,
Stacey

Fran Guidry
Ha`aha`a

USA
1579 Posts

Posted - 11/24/2002 :  02:19:52 AM  Show Profile  Visit Fran Guidry's Homepage
Thanks for the great pics!! Isn't it amazing how much personal expression develops in a form as simple as slack key.

Fran

E ho`okani pila kakou ma Kaleponi
Slack Key Guitar in California - www.kaleponi.com
Slack Key on YouTube
Homebrewed Music Blog
Go to Top of Page

Lawrence
Ha`aha`a

USA
1597 Posts

Posted - 11/24/2002 :  7:51:09 PM  Show Profile
Yup,

Not to mention that they did one of the best versions of
Pu'uanahulu that we have ever heard, which George started
in honor of Cyril's father Gabby.

Mahope Kākou...
...El Lorenzo de Ondas Sonoras
Go to Top of Page

Stacey
Lokahi

USA
169 Posts

Posted - 11/24/2002 :  10:09:56 PM  Show Profile
Yup, that was incredibly awesome, Lawrence! Thanks for the reminder! Too bad I didn't get to meet you at the show, though I did meet lots of nice folks. Next time I go to a slack key concert, I'll walk around with a sign that says "Got taropatch.net?" Hee Hee.
Cheers,
Stacey
Go to Top of Page

joeycastaneda
Aloha

USA
13 Posts

Posted - 11/24/2002 :  11:15:30 PM  Show Profile
It was a great show. It was something else to hear the different generations of slack key artist. To my techer & master, Patrick.....GREAT SHOW!!!!!!!

Mahalo to Cyril, George & Patrick

Aloha,
Joey

Edited by - joeycastaneda on 11/24/2002 11:18:49 PM
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.16 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000