Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Performance/Event Announcements & Reviews
 Spring elementary Hawaiian language class online
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Admin
Pupule

USA
4551 Posts

Posted - 11/28/2002 :  3:58:45 PM  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage  Send Admin an AOL message  Send Admin an ICQ Message  Send Admin a Yahoo! Message
I copied this info from Keola's nahenahe.net for your info...

One of the many reasons why updates have been slow on Nahenahe the past few months (at least until recently) is that I've been heavily involved in delivery of an elementary Hawaiian language class over the Internet. We have students from across the mainland US taking HAW101 from UH-Hilo, and it's been very exciting. We're considering offering the class again in the Spring semester, which would start in mid-January and end in early-May, 2003.

A couple of things you should know up front:
  • This is a graded, for-credit, university-level class, and expectations are just as high for online students as they are for our students here at the UHH campus.
    Students are expected to put in 12-15 hours of study and practice per week.
  • Tuition is $134 per credit. The class is 4 credits, so that means $536 per semester.
  • It is not completely "learn-at-your-own pace." A professor works with students, grades assignments, quizzes, and provides feedback. You can access the lessons any time of the day or night, however, there are deadlines for assigment submissions. All students in the class will move forward together, and need to complete the course by the end of the semester.
  • Technology needs are not insignificant, but nearly any Macintosh or Windows compatible machine with a microphone and Internet connection will work. Students will need to record their voices for submissions with assignments, and be able to playback audio files. All of the necessary software to accomplish this is provide for free.
Most of the students in our pilot class live on the US mainland. We intentionally did not heavily publicize the class in Hawai'i for two reasons. We did not want to seem to be competing with other university, college, high school, and adult education programs that offer Hawaiian language, and we also believe that the best way to learn Hawaiian would be to study the language face-to-face with a qualified instructor. We encourage those who can attend such classes to enroll in them. Contrary to popular belief, online classes are no easier than traditional classes, and in some ways are more difficult. We offer them because for many people, particularly Hawaiians on the US mainland, have no other alternative. They either learn online or they don't learn the language at all.

If you're interested or have questions please email me at my Leoki address (keola @ leoki.uhh.hawaii.edu), or let anyone you think may be interested know about it.

Keola
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.11 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000