Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Da Kine Music Gear
 The Importance of Humidity
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Admin
Pupule

USA
4551 Posts

Posted - 03/08/2007 :  2:42:35 PM  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage  Send Admin an AOL message  Send Admin an ICQ Message  Send Admin a Yahoo! Message
Instrument care is a recurring topic so this Larrivee article may be of interest.

The Importance of Humidity

Andy

Reid
Ha`aha`a

Andorra
1526 Posts

Posted - 03/09/2007 :  07:58:02 AM  Show Profile
Andy, thanks. I am a humidity control freak normally (both summer and winter: 10% to 90% here in CT), but I have been lax the last few bitterly cold days. I had been relying on my humidifier, but after reading Jean Larivee's stuff, I went around the house, looked at all 4 hygrometers and realized the humidifier had been overwhelmed by the dry cold and was only about 32% (maybe lower or higher because of the built-in error) and *falling*. So, I turned the shower on and filled the bathtub slowly with hot water, put pans of water on the stove and radiators to steam and had a few fans going. Got back up to 43% and I feel lots better.

Of course, you know I would take issue with some written dogma :-) I am convinced that there are cases and there are cases. Some of ours are air tight, and some are not. I use the proper ones as temp. and humidity buffers and, for the other ones, I do bring the guitars out. Johnny Faster turned us on to a wonderfully designed 3 guitar stand called Hercules that is the safest and easiest to use stand I have ever seen. It is in the living room now.

Also, in the summer, when it is 90 and 90, dehumidifiers don't do it. They are essentially A/C units that pour the exhaust heat back into the house. So, unless you have a place, like a basement that is naturally cold, only real A/C units will keep the humidity AND temp in a range that is not dangerous for guitars and comfortable for people.

...Reid
Go to Top of Page

Admin
Pupule

USA
4551 Posts

Posted - 03/09/2007 :  7:09:11 PM  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage  Send Admin an AOL message  Send Admin an ICQ Message  Send Admin a Yahoo! Message
quote:
Originally posted by jwn

For a second there I wasn't sure if this was a thread on "singing without words" or the local H3 club.

Oops, typo fixed.

Andy
Go to Top of Page

RWD
`Olu`olu

USA
850 Posts

Posted - 03/12/2007 :  11:21:19 AM  Show Profile
Andy,
I am so glad that you posted this link. I discovered that a Martin D-16 that I bought three months ago has a collapsed top. It had most of the symptoms described in the low humidity section--the corrugated finish was most obvious--so I laid a flat edge across the top and it was concave. The shop I bought it from seems to be open the idea that it was sold in that condition and I am going to talk to them tonight. Now I get to find out how good my local shop is at accepting responsibility.
I do have a humidifier and 2 hygrometers in the room that I use for my guitars.
Bob

Bob
Go to Top of Page

Podagee57
Lokahi

USA
280 Posts

Posted - 03/12/2007 :  6:46:25 PM  Show Profile  Visit Podagee57's Homepage
Take a look at these videos. First, click on - Performance Tips/Maintenance - on the right side of the page. Then click on - Humidity: the symptoms - then - Humidity: the solution - then - The humidity chamber. It's pretty amazing to see the transformation of this guitar.

http://www.taylorguitars.com/see-hear/

What? You mean high "E" is the TOP string. No way dude! That changes everything!

Edited by - Podagee57 on 03/12/2007 6:49:56 PM
Go to Top of Page

RWD
`Olu`olu

USA
850 Posts

Posted - 04/12/2007 :  01:41:54 AM  Show Profile
Update for those who are interested in the humidity issue:
After a few weeks at the guitar shop my Martin has been restored to acceptable condition. It was restored by using a dampit style humidifyer and enclosing it in a plastic bag. The corrugated finish is nearly smooth again and the recessed top has risen. There still remains shallow recesses near the outer edges of the bridge and leghtwise near the sound hole.
However, most of the Martins in the high priced guitar room have either corragation or slightly concave sections along the top. We looked at a new D41 that had just arrived that week and it also was not flat but slightly concave near the edges--there was a decent bulge at the bridge area though.
The guitars still sound good--even great depending on which one I pick up. I wonder if Martin has a quality control problem or if they are being made that way.
I can send before and after pictures if you are interested, Andy.
Bob

Bob
Go to Top of Page

Podagee57
Lokahi

USA
280 Posts

Posted - 04/12/2007 :  05:46:29 AM  Show Profile  Visit Podagee57's Homepage
I have 2 Martins and a Yamaha. They all have those slight depression you speak of. I noticed this while watching musicians on TV too. If the light hits the guitar just right you can see the little inconsistencies in the top...and smudges too.

What? You mean high "E" is the TOP string. No way dude! That changes everything!
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.12 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000