Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Da Kine Music Gear
 Stereo on a Taylor 615ce
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

chunky monkey
Ha`aha`a

USA
1019 Posts

Posted - 03/22/2007 :  09:31:05 AM  Show Profile
My Taylor 615ce is a 2002 model with the Fishman stuff that was stock on Taylors before 2003 or 2004 whrn they introduced the expression system. Mine has a stereo/mono switch inside that I have no idea how to use. I have been told that setting to stereo and using a stereo cable into a splitter to the amp will work. I dunno. I've tried just changing the switch with no apparant change in the sound going to a Mackie PA box. Any one with Taylor experience with ideas on how I can take advantage of this? Thanks

Lawrence
Ha`aha`a

USA
1597 Posts

Posted - 03/22/2007 :  11:04:14 AM  Show Profile
Mr. Monkey,

Do not get confused between a stereo cable and a balanced line.

I assume these are 1/4 inch phone plug cables involved here.

If the guitar has a stereo output on one jack (rather than two jacks), it is using the cable as a stereo cable with two separate signals on the tip and ring connections (and a common ground on the sleeve).

Most normal mixer 1/4 inch inputs these days are balanced inputs. This means that the same (but inverted) signals are expected to be on the tip and ring connections. So your "stereo" signal will be partially canceled by the mixer input, and result in a mono-combined signal.

You will probably get better stereo results if you use a stereo-to-two-mono "Y" adapter to split the stereo Guitar signal into two signals, then feed these two signals into two separate channels of the mixer.

Or, if you are lucky there is a stereo unbalanced TRS jack on the Mixer (which should be marked STEREO), and you can use that one directly.

Does that help?

Mahope Kākou...
...El Lorenzo de Ondas Sonoras

Edited by - Lawrence on 03/22/2007 11:08:51 AM
Go to Top of Page

Darin
Lokahi

USA
294 Posts

Posted - 03/23/2007 :  4:45:19 PM  Show Profile  Visit Darin's Homepage
Hey Terry,

Lawrence answered the question, but I thought I'd jump in anyway. I actually recorded my entire first album direct, using only the stereo mic/pickup system in the Taylor 614ce (2002) and no external mics.

You need an insert cable (also called a "Y" cable by some). It's a cable that has a single 1/4" plug at one end, and 2 1/4" plugs at the other end. The single 1/4" plug goes into the guitar, and the 2 other plugs go to your stereo sources. One of the "split" plugs carries the microphone signal, the other carries the pickup signal. If you're recording, it's a nice touch to pan the mic to the left and the pickup to the right, giving the guitar a little bigger sound.

Also, you'll need to flip the stereo/mono switch to stereo. Also, the mic/pickup slider should be around the center position.

Here's the insert cable that I use:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=Search&A=details&Q=&sku=480551&is=REG&addedTroughType=search

Also, I've found that the eq system on the Taylor seems to only affect the pickup sound, not the mic sound.

Finally, even if you split the mic and piezo pickup signals, if you're running them into a "mono" PA system or amp, they'll get combined again, so you may not hear any difference.

Darin
http://www.hawaiiguitar.com/
Go to Top of Page

chunky monkey
Ha`aha`a

USA
1019 Posts

Posted - 03/24/2007 :  11:31:38 AM  Show Profile
thanks lawrence and darin. I got it
Go to Top of Page

Rlowenote
Akahai

84 Posts

Posted - 04/05/2007 :  05:45:23 AM  Show Profile
Terry,

I've been using my Taylor in stereo mode since I found out my California Blonde had a stereo input. I started with one stereo instrument cable going from guitar to amp.

I like the fact that I have control of the mic channel and can EQ it at the amp. As well as increase the gain of the mic channel. I have turned up the mic adjustment to the max inside the Fishman Blender unit and still have the slider at 75% mic and 25% piezo. Even the amp has the mic channel gain increased much more than the piezo side.

Since then I've upgraded to an Ernie Ball 6167 Stereo pedal (designed for active inputs) and a right angle adapter for the guitar end. The volume pedal works primarily as an instant mute.

I'm also using a splitter when plugged into a 2 channel amp without a stereo input. The sounds are much more improved to my ears.

Ralph
Go to Top of Page

Mika ele
Ha`aha`a

USA
1493 Posts

Posted - 04/06/2007 :  07:40:35 AM  Show Profile
Ralph,
I have the ES on my K22ce. I have been playing a version of Liloa's Mele that adds in some slapping/tapping to the tempo changes as a variation but the volume is real low during the tap. I tried using the voice mike pointed at the tap position but it picked up too much external noise and not enough of the melody. Laurie suggested I use an Ernie Ball foot pedal to just pump up the volume for the tapped variation and then back down when I go back to fingerstyle. Do you think it would work? I'd hate to buy a pedal only to put it in my gig bag and never use it.

As an aside, I talked to one of the Managers at Taylor (he plays a mean ukulele and smoking "Drop Baby Drop") last week. He said the balanced guitar cord that came with my guitar should go directly from my guitar to the "mike" input (or balanced input) of the PA at Kaisen's. I tried that and the sound output was much improved (although difficult to tell on stage without a monitor). Problem now is that the floor tuner/bypass switch is unused since it is on a standard monster cable/phone plug.

When you coming back up to Kaisen's?

E nana, e ho'olohe. E pa'a ka waha, e hana ka lima.

Edited by - Mika ele on 04/06/2007 07:42:38 AM
Go to Top of Page

Rlowenote
Akahai

84 Posts

Posted - 04/09/2007 :  06:59:10 AM  Show Profile
Mika ele,
Whose version are you doing. I'd like to check it out since I "beat" on my guitar on a few songs against the Hammered Dulcimer. My guitar picks up the tapping/thumping fairly well. You just gotta HIT the guitar harder!! Maybe try a stick-on (w/putty) pick-up in various locations for your tapping.

My jamming buddy used to use his volume pedal to kick up solos, but found it difficult to get back to the original volume without "fishing" around. He also inserted a minimum volume stop (a piece of wood) to not go too low, but lost his mute function. Since then he's been using a Chorus pedal stomp box. He doesn't use the chorus much, but kicks the volume up when the pedal is in use and then back to normal volume without the pedal.

Kaisen's is on my calendar, just don't know when I'll have enough time to make it.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.09 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000