Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Da Kine Music Gear
 USB Microphones
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Mark
Ha`aha`a

USA
1628 Posts

Posted - 04/07/2007 :  09:06:53 AM  Show Profile  Visit Mark's Homepage
I mentioned this as an appendage to the mac interface topic, but I think it deserves its own heading.

USB microphones are essentially mics with built in A/D (analog to digital) converters that plug into your computer via the USB port. That eliminates the need for an audio interface, in case you were wondering. They've been around for a couple of years, but only now are getting some serious critique. Karl mentioned a review of the Blue Snowball in Acoustic Guitar, and the current issue of Electronic Musician has capsule reviews of six mics from Blue, Marshall, Rode, Samson and sE Electronics.

The EM article is pretty techie I'm afraid, but raises some interesting points and is worth a look if you are considering going this route.

The bottom line? All do a pretty decent job of capturing voice and/or acoustic guitar. Spend more money, get better quality? Sorta, though the Blue and Marshall fared well at less than $150. Some have extras like headphone outs or even double as audio interfaces.

I'd love to hear from anyone who's used a USB mic -- does it fit the bill? What are the advantages/disadvantages over using a conventional mic and audio interface? Anybody tried one as a remote rig w/ a laptop?

One interesting thing: EM's reviewer noted that USB mics are "not futureproof" and says "If you have a SCSI peripheral collectiong dust.. you know how quickly computer products drop support for data protocols."

Anybody want to buy a used 20-gig hard drive and, oh, about 20 cables and terminator blocks?
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.09 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000