Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Performance/Event Announcements & Reviews
 NYC Hawai'i Cultural Foundation closes down -help!
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Sarah
`Olu`olu

571 Posts

Posted - 03/14/2007 :  03:53:30 AM  Show Profile
Aloha kakou,

I recently found out that the Hawai'i Cultural Foundation in New York City has folded. That was my closest source for workshops and events, auë!
quote:
Unfortunately, HCF has found it necessary to dissolve the corporation as of June 30, 2007; therefore, we will no longer be offering workshops, etc. We're hopeful that the NYC ohana will continue to get together and continue to keep the aloha spirit alive and well going forward. -NM

This may be a premature question, but inquiring minds want to know:
Do any of you guys who live in the NY area (Andy? Tommy? Claudia? Hapagirl?) know who, or what, if anything, has or might step in to fill the void? Are there various people to contact?

aloha,
Sarah

Admin
Pupule

USA
4551 Posts

Posted - 03/14/2007 :  05:20:40 AM  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage  Send Admin an AOL message  Send Admin an ICQ Message  Send Admin a Yahoo! Message
Yes, it is a bummer. There will also be no Pacifika film festival this year.

It is too early to tell. HCF is giving up its non-profit status and is in transition. I am not sure what will happen. As you know, we started Halawai, a networking organization, under HCF's guidance. Halawai would like to continue so we will see if the scope of our efforts broaden or change due to HCF's transition.

One thing is clear. There are many people from Hawaii, with ties to Hawaii and Hawaiian-at-Heart in the New York area. People will definitely step up. In the meantime, the Hapa show is on April 4th. The picnic in Central Park will be on June 3rd.

Andy
Go to Top of Page

Sarah
`Olu`olu

571 Posts

Posted - 03/14/2007 :  2:56:37 PM  Show Profile
Thanks, Andy, for the info. It's good to know that Halawai intends to continue. New York certainly the critical mass concentration of enough folks interested in Hawaiian culture to make things happen, and to be events that are *attended*, which is equally important for a lot of reasons.

Please keep me on any mailing list you inherit from HCF!

me ke aloha,
Sarah
Go to Top of Page

Admin
Pupule

USA
4551 Posts

Posted - 04/12/2007 :  07:50:12 AM  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage  Send Admin an AOL message  Send Admin an ICQ Message  Send Admin a Yahoo! Message
FYI, I helped set up the Halawai website at www.halawai.org. The mission of the group is still evolving, but it is nice to have an internet presence and the calendar should be a helpful resource. The nice thing is that the plan is to post all Hawai`i related events going on in New York (not just Halawai events) resulting in a comprehensive listing.

Andy
Go to Top of Page

Sarah
`Olu`olu

571 Posts

Posted - 04/12/2007 :  08:02:29 AM  Show Profile
Thanks, Andy!
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To: