Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Talk Story
 Humuhumunukunukuapua`a
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

wcerto
Ahonui

USA
5052 Posts

Posted - 03/19/2007 :  1:33:59 PM  Show Profile
Since I am just starting to learn the `olelo, I am very unsure of myself. Most of what I have learned is by listening to songs with my Kawena Pukui dictionary in my lap.

In the past couple of days I have heard several different people (Bill Tapia, Nathan Aweau, and someone else, but I cannot remember who), singing "My little Grass Shack". In the song all of them pronounced it as "hoo-moo-hoo-moo-noo-koo-noo-koo-ah-poo-ah-ah, but I thought it is: hoo-moo-hoo-moo-noo-koo-noo-koo-apooah-ah.

Anyone can kokua?
Mahalo,
Wanda

Me ke aloha
Malama pono,
Wanda

thumbstruck
Ahonui

USA
2164 Posts

Posted - 03/19/2007 :  6:04:28 PM  Show Profile
Vowels rule in Hawaiian. In all Polynesian languages, vowels are important. In English, we slurr them, they're more liquid.
Go to Top of Page

hawaiianmusiclover06
`Olu`olu

USA
562 Posts

Posted - 03/19/2007 :  7:20:55 PM  Show Profile  Visit hawaiianmusiclover06's Homepage  Send hawaiianmusiclover06 an AOL message  Click to see hawaiianmusiclover06's MSN Messenger address  Send hawaiianmusiclover06 a Yahoo! Message
Since I took 2 years of 'olelo Hawai'i in college for this posting I have to say that the vowels rule in the language.

Aloha Kakou, maluhia a me aloha mau loa (Hello everyone, peace and love forever)
Go to Top of Page

Sarah
`Olu`olu

571 Posts

Posted - 03/20/2007 :  03:33:32 AM  Show Profile
Wanda, if I understand you, you are talking about the presence or lack of an 'okina in the part of the word that means "pig": pua'a. So the name would be pronounced the second way you spelled out, not the way you heard it.

The name of the fish, as I have understood, means something like stitched-together-nose-of-a-pig, because of the pattern of colors and shape of the fish's face. It is a kind of triggerfish, called humuhumu.

I tried to find an authoritative site for you, but this was the best I could find: http://www.hawaiiwebsite.com/island_info.php

By contrast, here's what the dictionary has to say about pu'a'a, the first way you cited:
pü.'ä.'ä
1. vs. Scattered, dispersed; to flee in disorder and fright. Also pükäkä. Holo pü'ä'ä, to scatter in excitement, stampede. ho'o.pü.'ä.'ä To put to flight, drive in confusion.
2. Redup. of pü'ä 2, 5; bundles, sheaths; to tie many; to besiege frequently.

In my experience, some fantastic musicians still do not always pronounce the Hawaiian words properly when singing. Remember, Hawaiian was against the law in schools for nearly an entire century, from 1896 all the way to 1986, to aid in annexation to the US, and teachers even went into homes to chastise the parents for speaking Hawaiian. So, entire generations missed out on openly learning and living their native tongue.

Basically, I think you are doing the right thing to cross-check sources if something in the lyrics seems not quite right.

aloha,
Sarah

Edited by - Sarah on 03/20/2007 03:44:45 AM
Go to Top of Page

Pua Kai
Ha`aha`a

USA
1007 Posts

Posted - 03/20/2007 :  05:00:23 AM  Show Profile
Common usage in Hawai'i is the way you heard it in the recordings... maybe not proper...
Go to Top of Page

alika207
Ha`aha`a

USA
1260 Posts

Posted - 03/20/2007 :  10:11:52 AM  Show Profile  Visit alika207's Homepage  Send alika207 an AOL message  Click to see alika207's MSN Messenger address  Send alika207 a Yahoo! Message
Speaking of "My Little Grass Shack," can someone provide me with the translation for "e komo mai no ka ua i ka hale welakahau?" (I think that's what the phrase is.) I would translate it as "welcome for the rain in the house (whatever welakahau means)," but that doesn't make any sense. Kokua ke 'olu'olu!

He kehau ho'oma'ema'e ke aloha.

'Alika / Polinahe
Go to Top of Page

Retro
Ahonui

USA
2368 Posts

Posted - 03/20/2007 :  1:28:37 PM  Show Profile  Visit Retro's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by hawaiianmusicfan138

Speaking of "My Little Grass Shack," can someone provide me with the translation for "e komo mai no ka ua i ka hale welakahau?" (I think that's what the phrase is.) I would translate it as "welcome for the rain in the house (whatever welakahau means)," but that doesn't make any sense. Kokua ke 'olu'olu!

I believe "He Mele Aloha" translates it as:
"Let's you and I go into the house while the time is right."

Kaona is up to you...
Go to Top of Page

keoladonaghy
Lokahi

257 Posts

Posted - 03/20/2007 :  1:41:12 PM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by hawaiianmusicfan138

I think you broke up "kaua" by mistake or found it that way someplace. See if this makes any more sense:

"e komo mai no kaua (we two) i ka hale welakahau?"

I don't even know if this is correct (haven't heard the song in years) but based on what you provided I think this is more probable.
Go to Top of Page

alika207
Ha`aha`a

USA
1260 Posts

Posted - 03/23/2007 :  4:02:16 PM  Show Profile  Visit alika207's Homepage  Send alika207 an AOL message  Click to see alika207's MSN Messenger address  Send alika207 a Yahoo! Message
'Ae. Makes more sense. Mahalo nui loa.

He kehau ho'oma'ema'e ke aloha.

'Alika / Polinahe
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.09 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000