Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Talk Story
 Nui `o puhi, a li`ili`i au
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

wcerto
Ahonui

USA
5052 Posts

Posted - 03/23/2007 :  04:53:24 AM  Show Profile
One of my favorite songs is `Opae E. I love the song because it teaches that you don't have to be big to solve problems.

However, speaking of big, you might want to look at this puhi picture. Wow!
http://www.hawaiifishingnews.com/records_d.cfm?ID=111

Me ke aloha
Malama pono,
Wanda

alika207
Ha`aha`a

USA
1260 Posts

Posted - 03/26/2007 :  3:48:37 PM  Show Profile  Visit alika207's Homepage  Send alika207 an AOL message  Click to see alika207's MSN Messenger address  Send alika207 a Yahoo! Message
I love that song too. I sing along with the Iz version all the time in my soprano range.

He kehau ho'oma'ema'e ke aloha.

'Alika / Polinahe
Go to Top of Page

hawaiianmusiclover06
`Olu`olu

USA
562 Posts

Posted - 03/27/2007 :  12:31:33 AM  Show Profile  Visit hawaiianmusiclover06's Homepage  Send hawaiianmusiclover06 an AOL message  Click to see hawaiianmusiclover06's MSN Messenger address  Send hawaiianmusiclover06 a Yahoo! Message
Aloha! I also love the song 'Opae E too. I also sing along with the IZ version in my alto range. I wish I can sing soprano. Oh well.

Aloha Kakou, maluhia a me aloha mau loa (Hello everyone, peace and love forever)
Go to Top of Page

alika207
Ha`aha`a

USA
1260 Posts

Posted - 03/27/2007 :  12:49:25 AM  Show Profile  Visit alika207's Homepage  Send alika207 an AOL message  Click to see alika207's MSN Messenger address  Send alika207 a Yahoo! Message
quote:
Originally posted by hawaiianmusiclover06

Aloha! I also love the song 'Opae E too. I also sing along with the IZ version in my alto range. I wish I can sing soprano. Oh well.

You're definitely capable of singing it. It's whether or not it feels comfortable for you to do that matters.

He kehau ho'oma'ema'e ke aloha.

'Alika / Polinahe
Go to Top of Page

Menpachi Man
Lokahi

274 Posts

Posted - 03/28/2007 :  5:29:51 PM  Show Profile
Hey Wanda, tanks fo posting dat! Now Pua Kai goin KNOW dat the puhi (moray eel) no have small mouth and no small teeth. Da one dat bit me was about 2 ft shorter and less den half da weight.

I remember catching opae. Got red and white kine, hehe, maybe US of A, maybe blue kine too. Thinkin .. yea ... had blueish kine too. We had a wide net between 2 bamboo stick to catch them. I dunno, maybe the BIG net is now illegal. But you can jus use one small scoop net. You can eat them, boil with salt, or whatever local or malahini taste you have. Be sure you don't have da dead ones if you left them out for a while. Da dead ones get opaque color and can make yo okole sore if you know what i mean. Separate them, throw em away, and wash da rest before cookin.

Now, da white transparent shrimps, (I foget da name, you can look em up) is good menpachi bait. Used to catch em at Whittington at Kau (big island). There was one old man there who used to catch some for us. When we caught fish, we always stop by to give him menpachi. But last, I heard, somebody reported him fo his net being too big. What he used to do is now in da past like many old ways. I sometimes wonder if he is stil alive ...

On a lighter note: Heh ... anytime one song mention dismay about one puhi going aftah his sistah, I cannot help, but think, it is one kolohe song ... hahaha. (c g7 a7 d b7)

Edited by - Menpachi Man on 03/28/2007 6:52:38 PM
Go to Top of Page

wcerto
Ahonui

USA
5052 Posts

Posted - 03/28/2007 :  11:56:54 PM  Show Profile
You are kolohe, Menpachi...thinking that innocent puhi could be something more? Like maybe in the mele ma`i "Ha`u Ha`u E" where they talk about puffing away on the big puhi? You are just like my hubby -- always get kolohe when you talk about puhi. Kanes got one track mind, yeah?

When I found that picture, I immediately thought of you, Menpachi. No way would I go after that puhi with a spear. Wow!

Now - about opae -- I understand that is "fresh water shrimp". Is that the same as what we hillbillies from W. Va. call "crawdads"? On accounta I thought shrimp were salt-water crustaceans. You are very akamai about fishing (among other things).

Me ke aloha
Malama pono,
Wanda

Edited by - wcerto on 03/29/2007 04:11:32 AM
Go to Top of Page

Pua Kai
Ha`aha`a

USA
1007 Posts

Posted - 03/29/2007 :  04:55:53 AM  Show Profile
Good Grief!!
Could feed a village w/ dat t'ing!! I see a lot of eels when diving - just never occurred to me to spear one. 'Eh Menpachi Man - you been diving off Florida Keys? Every wreck has a Big bright green moray in attendance. They are more like the coronet fish in Hawai'i - - follow you around curiously. 'course, scares the pee outa the quarry divers. Do hammerheads eat eels? Off La Paz in Baja, divers go to watch the hammerheads. But one time I dropped down into a mini-canyon watching for sharks and found myself in what looked like a snake pit of big eels... sure glad it's easier to move under water than on dry land!! So yah Wanda, thanks for the picture.
crawdads - or cray fish are bigger than most of the shrimp I've seen while diving. At night, it's easy to see the shrimp because they reflect light. As I've said before, I'm not an expert, or even close, at anything, but there are several types in Hawai'i.
So what's everyone doing for dinner now that it's past lobster season?
And Wanda - I sent you a note through taropatch. I'm assuming you didn't get it, since Andy's having problems.
Now, Get Back to Practice!!!!!
Go to Top of Page

hapakid
Luna Ho`omalu

USA
1533 Posts

Posted - 03/29/2007 :  06:47:29 AM  Show Profile  Visit hapakid's Homepage
I shot an eel with a tiny homemade spear gun when I was a kid. I didn't want it, but I had worked so hard building this spear gun that I just had to kill something.
After I shot it, that eel came spiraling right up the spear toward my hand. I freaked out, let go, and the eel popped off the end of the spear and swam away. The spear was lost, and I learned my lesson.

Jesse Tinsley
Go to Top of Page

wcerto
Ahonui

USA
5052 Posts

Posted - 03/29/2007 :  07:59:39 AM  Show Profile
Jesse - I'd say the puhi can stay in the ocean and I won't bother them. That is one homely critter, Must be one of the Lee brothers...Home-Lee and Ug-lee. If the puhi in that picture spiraled around you, it would be like one giant boa constrictor.

Me ke aloha
Malama pono,
Wanda
Go to Top of Page

Menpachi Man
Lokahi

274 Posts

Posted - 03/30/2007 :  7:14:52 PM  Show Profile
Da opaekalaole, my menpachi bait, is not a crawdad. They are much smaller Their eyes which shine in the light is what attracts the menpachi. They are small 1"-1.5" from my experience.

I used to catch crawdads in the streams and ate them until I saw them feeding on a dead animal. Spoiled my appetite for them thereafter.

I have never been diving anywhere but in Hawaii. There are many morays around: spotted, green, zebra. The zebras are very pretty. Almost like a lionfish. I never saw a lionfish except on tv though. I miss the ocean.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.11 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000