Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Talk Story
 How to pronounce 'Kaua`i"
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

wcerto
Ahonui

USA
5052 Posts

Posted - 03/29/2007 :  09:47:14 AM  Show Profile
I really don't know if I am saying this correctly. I really cannot tell from Kawena Pukui's dictionary.

I have been saying Ka-wa-ee
Should it be kow-ah-ee or Ka-ooah-ee

certainly not: kow-eye or Kwai like I have heard so much over here from people who never went there.

Mahalo for your kokua.
Wanda

Me ke aloha
Malama pono,
Wanda

hawaiianmusiclover06
`Olu`olu

USA
562 Posts

Posted - 03/29/2007 :  10:48:43 AM  Show Profile  Visit hawaiianmusiclover06's Homepage  Send hawaiianmusiclover06 an AOL message  Click to see hawaiianmusiclover06's MSN Messenger address  Send hawaiianmusiclover06 a Yahoo! Message
Aloha mai Wanda! The island of Kaua'i is pronounced Kau-wa-ee.

Aloha Kakou, maluhia a me aloha mau loa (Hello everyone, peace and love forever)
Go to Top of Page

alika207
Ha`aha`a

USA
1260 Posts

Posted - 03/29/2007 :  10:49:29 AM  Show Profile  Visit alika207's Homepage  Send alika207 an AOL message  Click to see alika207's MSN Messenger address  Send alika207 a Yahoo! Message
Just sound it out:
kau-A -i
(kow-AH-ee)

He kehau ho'oma'ema'e ke aloha.

'Alika / Polinahe
Go to Top of Page

Retro
Ahonui

USA
2368 Posts

Posted - 03/29/2007 :  11:49:38 AM  Show Profile  Visit Retro's Homepage
...and unless there is an `okina separating them, vowel sounds in `olelo Hawai`i generally run together smoothly, rather than being sounded as distinctly individual letters.
Go to Top of Page

Lawrence
Ha`aha`a

USA
1597 Posts

Posted - 03/29/2007 :  2:06:30 PM  Show Profile
quote:
...and unless there is an `okina separating them, vowel sounds in `olelo Hawai`i generally run together smoothly, rather than being sounded as distinctly individual letters.
Actually, that does not quite agree with what Kaliko Beamer Trapp was teaching us at Keola's Camp.

He indicated that the vowels are to be separately sounded except in the cases of a few select diphthongs, such as "au". And of course, lots of times the okina ARE left out, such as in "Kaanapali" instead of Ka'anapali, making the situation worse.

Here is a reference to an easy pronunciation guide:

http://www.geocities.com/TheTropics/Shores/6794/o-pronunciation.html#d

This Kaua'i issue reminds me of some of the plantation managers on Kaua'i who would pronounce it "Kaow-eye" in a very droll manner. Seems they were intentionally mis-pronouncing the island name to set themselves apart from the "common-folk" or native Hawaiians, in order to emphasize their own "superiority".

Mahope Kākou...
...El Lorenzo de Ondas Sonoras

Edited by - Lawrence on 03/29/2007 3:19:47 PM
Go to Top of Page

Retro
Ahonui

USA
2368 Posts

Posted - 03/30/2007 :  08:09:45 AM  Show Profile  Visit Retro's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by Lawrence

Actually, that does not quite agree with what Kaliko Beamer Trapp was teaching us at Keola's Camp.
Different teachers will teach different ways, I guess.
quote:
Originally posted by LawrenceAnd of course, lots of times the okina ARE left out, such as in "Kaanapali" instead of Ka'anapali, making the situation worse.
I see that often with Ledward's last name. `Okina and kahako were ignored by many for a long time, but appear to be coming back into usage these days.
Go to Top of Page

wcerto
Ahonui

USA
5052 Posts

Posted - 03/30/2007 :  09:12:10 AM  Show Profile
OK -- now, since I have a little bit of medical background", I understand that glottal means momentary complete closure of the glottis, followed by an explosive release. So how does a glottal stop differ from a plosive sound? I am trying to remember back to my college speech 101, but seeing as how that was about 37 years ago....you get my drift. I am not certain about the mechanism of doing that. I know that the `okina is supposed to be another consonant in the `olelo Hawai`i, but I guess the bottom line is I don't know physically how you do it. And hard for you to show me on the internet like this. What I have been doing (and probably has been done wrong), is using it to separate the vowel sounds like ku`u. I never understood what you are supposed to do when the `okina is at the beginning of a word. Help!

Got the following off wikipedia.
------------------------------
Features of the glottal stop:

Its manner of articulation is plosive or stop, which means it is produced by obstructing airflow in the vocal tract.
Its place of articulation is glottal which means it is articulated by the vocal folds.
Its phonation type is voiceless, which means it is produced without vibrations of the vocal cords.
It is an oral consonant, which means air is allowed to escape through the mouth.
Because it is pronounced in the throat; without a component in the mouth, the central/lateral dichotomy does not apply.
The airstream mechanism is pulmonic egressive, which means it is articulated by pushing air out of the lungs and through the vocal tract, rather than from the glottis or the mouth.

Me ke aloha
Malama pono,
Wanda
Go to Top of Page

Sarah
`Olu`olu

571 Posts

Posted - 03/30/2007 :  10:11:07 AM  Show Profile
Wanda,

The glottal stop sound is typically described as the sound the back of your throat makes between "uh" and "oh" when you say, "Uh-oh!", as in when you tip over your glass of wine at the table ;-) It is what your throat does to separate two vowels. Play around with saying "uh-oh" and you'll see additionally that it can be said with either one or two 'okina, but the 'okina in the middle is essential to the meaning, while the 'okina that can be used to start the word is in fact optional, but may be tinged with "meaning".

If you're having trouble with the concept of an 'okina at the start of the word, you can try the "uh-oh" but just the second half -- leave off the "uh". You'll feel that your throat starts closed, but opens to release the air to sound the "oh". In Hawaiian, that would be spelled "`o". Or, you can try playing around with saying "Ooo! Ooo! Look at that!" The "ooo"s are started with a glottal stop. Or saying "Ah-ah-ah! Don't touch!" Each "ah" starts with a glottal stop.

Plosive is a different term that is more general, as it refers to the stopping of airflow in the vocal tract. Since there are a lot of ways to do that, it's a broad term. There are a bunch of different kinds of plosives, and probably the 'okina would qualify as one of them. However, when it comes to Hawaiian, the plosives I concern myself with are the consonants that eject air when we say them: k and p particularly. As I understand it, Hawaiian pronunciation of these plosives is less plosive than in English. To put it coarsely, the K is softened so that less air comes out and it is leaning towards being a G and the P is less plosive and leaning towards being a B.

There are a number of places online to hear Hawaiian, this being one of them: http://www.olelo.hawaii.edu/olelo/uaikeanei.php

And if you're up for buying some language learning guide, two good audio sources come to mind:

1) "Learn Hawaiian at Home" by Kahikahealani Wight -- http://www.amazon.com/Learn-Hawaiian-Home-Kahikahealani-Wight/dp/1573062456
Good introduction to Hawaiian in the textbook/audio CD format.

2) "Instant Immersion Hawaiian Express" (Instant Immersion) (Audio CD)
by Kaliko Beamer-Trapp and Kiele Akana-Gooch. While basically aural instruction, there is the written format at Kaliko's website to refer to.
http://www.amazon.com/Instant-Immersion-Hawaiian-Express/dp/1591504465/ref=sr_1_1/002-3621711-9836066?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1175284553&sr=1-1
http://homepage.mac.com/drmacnut/panpoly/language/olelo_hawaii/topics/index.html

Both would answer your question about Kaua'i, too.

aloha,
Sarah

Edited by - Sarah on 03/31/2007 05:08:44 AM
Go to Top of Page

keoladonaghy
Lokahi

257 Posts

Posted - 03/30/2007 :  10:41:13 AM  Show Profile
We have a short guide to pronunciation on Kualono, though I think a few audio links are still broken. If you find any please email me directly, I haven't had time to chase them all down:

http://www.olelo.hawaii.edu/olelo/puana/index.php

Keola
Go to Top of Page

wcerto
Ahonui

USA
5052 Posts

Posted - 03/30/2007 :  11:13:07 AM  Show Profile
Keola - mahalo for the link. As simple as it is, it has helped me very much to hear the words spoken -- especially since it is not at normal conversational speed. (I am getting slow in my dotage).

There are three audio links that did not work: Kahako word drill, `okina word drill and dipthongs word drill.

Perhaps you would care to comment on the post about "Is Pidgin a true language?" I would love to hear your thoughts on the issue, as a kumu `olelo.

Thank you very much.

Me ke aloha
Malama pono,
Wanda
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.11 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000