Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Talk Story
 A bad tourist idea??
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 4

wcerto
Ahonui

USA
5052 Posts

Posted - 03/14/2007 :  07:25:08 AM  Show Profile
Pretty soon we are going to O`ahu for our "Hele foah da Mele". While thinking of other things to do beside listening to music, I thought I might like to take the "Duck" boat-truck vehicle thingie that goes around Waikiki, and that maybe I would like to go Kualoa Ranch and ride those ATV kine thingies. Now I am thinking that would be a bad thing to do. First of all, nothing to do with Hawaiian culture...second of all, really icky for the `aina. May I have your comments, please.

Mahalo.

Me ke aloha
Malama pono,
Wanda

Edited by - wcerto on 03/14/2007 07:25:36 AM

Mark
Ha`aha`a

USA
1628 Posts

Posted - 03/14/2007 :  08:03:31 AM  Show Profile  Visit Mark's Homepage
Weel at the risk of alienating some folks, here's my humble opinion:

Motorized recreation; be it ATVs, jet skies, off road jeep tours, yadda yadda, is not only bad for Hawaii, it's bad for each and every living thing on the planet.

Here are the obvious issues: what comes out of the tail pipe, what happens when you drive a couple hundred pounds of rubber tires and passengers across rivers and muddy trails, what jet skies do to sea life, and just the sheer infrastructure necessary to get all that fuel to Hawaii just so someone can go on a thrill ride????

And remember where the oil comes from? Most of those guys don't like us. Why make 'em richer?

If we have to use it, let's use it for important stuff. Like driving to the store to buy ice cream....

Wanda -- You are asking the kinds of questions that more and more tourists (and human beings) need to ask. Everything we do has consequences that radiate outward like the ripples on a pond. Might as well be conscious.

If you love Hawaii, try to find something else to do that benefits the land, the people and the culture.

Go to Top of Page

Reid
Ha`aha`a

Andorra
1526 Posts

Posted - 03/14/2007 :  08:17:25 AM  Show Profile
Well Wanda, you asked, and you know I have an opinion on nearly everything. So here goes.

I hate ATVs with a passion that is second only to snowmobiles. You will rip up that soft volcanic soil, make lots of noise and blow out lots of exhaust. Please don't do it.

As for the Duck: it is just tacky, like most of Waikiki is tacky.

Sarah and I stayed at the Moana once - because it had the banyan court and Yale paid for an ocean view room for us and I had to attend a conference there. BUT, I felt trapped and besieged with tourists and got depressed. The only saving grace was the music.

Take a ride around the island. Visit Hanauma Bay - you can get there on The Bus. Go up to the North Shore on the windward side. Walk on Lani kai. Or Makapu`u. Watch the crazies at Sunset and Waimea and Banzai. Go over the Pali and stop at the lookout over Kaneohe. Look from there at the golf club where Andy and Lynette got married :-) (The one to the south, not the one to the north.) Eat nearly live shrimp at the kaukau wagon at the shrimp farms. Go to the Bishop museum, the aquarium to see the nautilus tank, the Queen's rose garden behind Kapiolani park (away from the tourist). OK, have a nice meal at Duke's if somebody good is playing there.

Have the right kind of fun.

...Reid

Edited by - Reid on 03/15/2007 1:37:29 PM
Go to Top of Page

andyjade
Akahai

USA
51 Posts

Posted - 03/14/2007 :  09:31:36 AM  Show Profile
North Shore Shark Encounters. Worth the price of admission.
Go to Top of Page

wcerto
Ahonui

USA
5052 Posts

Posted - 03/14/2007 :  10:24:19 AM  Show Profile
We are planning on listening to our friend Ray Sowders...he's playing at Tiki's, which is at the Resort Quest Waikiki Beach where we will be staying. We are planning to take in dinner at Chai's Island Bistro (ooh boy, those giant tiger prawns!) and listening to Barry Kimokeo, Jerry Santos and Hoku Zuttermeister; and listening to Martin, George & Aaron; hopefully, the Sunday thing at Honey's, and are planning a lunch with Bla & Kathleen Pahinui, with whom I have had a year-long e-mail correspondence. Kathleen & Bla are quite the advocates for the `aina. We do want to get some of those fresh shrimp at the lunch wagons. All our times there, we have not yet been to Bishop Museum, so that is a definite must. I would like to see the Gabby bust at Kapiolani Park and the Iz bust at Waianae, but I understand Waianae is not a good place for haole tourists, yeah? I also want to go back to the Royal Mausoleum; want want to visit some places from the mele pana, like Patrick Landeza's Kahuku, definitely Makapu`u...so much to do, so little time. I want to putz also. Gotta have down time. I think Paul may take his dulcimer as opposed to trying to rent a guitar. His dulcimer can go as a carry-on. Thanks so far for your suggestions. I appreciate them. Time to stop being a bad tourist, most assuredly. One of the things we enjoyed on our other trips was the wala`au...with taxi drivers, tour guides and kama`aina. That was spectacular.

Me ke aloha
Malama pono,
Wanda
Go to Top of Page

Karl Monetti
`Olu`olu

USA
756 Posts

Posted - 03/14/2007 :  11:50:10 AM  Show Profile  Visit Karl Monetti's Homepage
I agree whole-heartedly with Mark.
There are some really neat places to hike and get great views; the one that comes first to mind is a volcanic caldera over by Stony (Rocky?) Beach in which you will find a really neat arboretum. Climb up to the rim for a great view and some good exercise.
Get out of the city and into the country, rent a bike if you can, meet some people. I would confine my outings to walking, kayaking, biking, snorkeling, music.
Motorized vehicles stink in all their incarnations. If we could swim to Hawaii I would rather do that than fly.
By the way, you might consider buying some carbon credits to offset the cost to the environment for your flight. My daughter bought me a carbon "offset" equivalent to 20,000 miles of airline travel for about 30 bucks. It was to help pay for the damage i did to the environment for my trip back east for christmas and my trip to Aloha Camp in Feb. It works, I think, like this; she paid this outfit $30 and they invest it in companies doing research in or actually groundwork related to energy conservation or reforestation worldwide. I do not have the website handy that she used but will try to post it later. I think this is a great way to help offset the huge carbon "footprint" we make as we travel.
HAve fun, and, if you come to Alaska I can tell you what to avoid here, too:)

Karl
Frozen North
Go to Top of Page

thumbstruck
Ahonui

USA
2164 Posts

Posted - 03/15/2007 :  03:41:11 AM  Show Profile
I heard that humans actually can't deal with speeds faster than they can run. Too hard on the emotions, too much stress. Folks become addicted to stress. (Thus some of the "music" choices out there.) Listening to Eddie Kamae beats any ride I went on at The Land of the Mouse. Go to the Kamaka factory. Talk story. Doing "human" things are generally off the tourist map. No fo'get, EAT!
Go to Top of Page

rendesvous1840
Ha`aha`a

USA
1055 Posts

Posted - 03/15/2007 :  11:27:53 AM  Show Profile
I had forgotten about touring Kamaka Ukule'le. But if Wanda lets me go there, she may not be able to get me out without going way over budget for the trip.I barely managed to not bring home a new dulcimer last weekend. Instrument aquisition syndrome, you know. I tried to find a 12 step program, but I decided on a 12 instrument program instead. Paul

"A master banjo player isn't the person who can pick the most notes.It's the person who can touch the most hearts." Patrick Costello
Go to Top of Page

LikaNui
Aloha

40 Posts

Posted - 03/15/2007 :  12:48:06 PM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Reid

One evening, I asked (name deleted) what he thought of Waikiki and he whispered behind his hand "We all hate it."
I'm coming out of several years of lurker mode to respectfully ask that the post with the above quote be edited to remove the quote (and then ditto for my own post here).
Reid, I'm sure you meant well, but what (name deleted) may or may not have told you, in confidence, shouldn't be repeated in a public forum where the very people who employ him could see the comment, which in turn could have a seriously detrimental effect on his income and on his reputation in the community.
Mahalo for your kokua...

Edited by - LikaNui on 03/15/2007 3:46:37 PM
Go to Top of Page

Reid
Ha`aha`a

Andorra
1526 Posts

Posted - 03/15/2007 :  1:39:05 PM  Show Profile
You are right, it is gone. Now edit your post so yours is gone, too.

Perhaps, you could lurk less and post more? It would be nice if you simply didn't catch us up in our mistakes.

...Reid

Edited by - Reid on 03/15/2007 1:41:32 PM
Go to Top of Page

wcerto
Ahonui

USA
5052 Posts

Posted - 03/15/2007 :  2:21:48 PM  Show Profile
HO`OPONOPONO

Me ke aloha
Malama pono,
Wanda
Go to Top of Page

LikaNui
Aloha

40 Posts

Posted - 03/15/2007 :  3:53:48 PM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Reid

You are right, it is gone. Now edit your post so yours is gone, too.
Yes sir. Right away sir. Thank you for deciding not to say "please," sir. It is done, sir. [/salute]

quote:
Perhaps, you could lurk less and post more? It would be nice if you simply didn't catch us up in our mistakes.
Um, Reid? That was exactly my SECOND post here. I don't understand the need for rude replies to me.
With this kind of 'welcome' to an experienced and recorded Hawaiian musician, I shall gladly return to lurker mode.
Go to Top of Page

LikaNui
Aloha

40 Posts

Posted - 03/15/2007 :  3:57:37 PM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by LawrenceIf you do not come back and delete your post the same harmful information may stay there forever (embedded in the quote)!
Yes, that was why I mentioned in my first post that I would delete mine too. (It's now done.) But sheesh, people, only TWO HOURS went by between my earlier post and now. Not necessary to spank me for not being even quicker.
[/grumble]
[/participation]
Go to Top of Page

Admin
Pupule

USA
4551 Posts

Posted - 03/15/2007 :  5:33:15 PM  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage  Send Admin an AOL message  Send Admin an ICQ Message  Send Admin a Yahoo! Message
Not sure what I missed but glad you guys got this straightened out on your own.

Andy
Go to Top of Page

hapakid
Luna Ho`omalu

USA
1533 Posts

Posted - 03/15/2007 :  5:51:07 PM  Show Profile  Visit hapakid's Homepage
Aloha e Lika,
I'm not sure if or why Reid was short with you, but you might just chalk it up to him being an engineer-type person. Explains a lot. :?)
me ke aloha,
Jesse Tinsley
Go to Top of Page

Menpachi Man
Lokahi

274 Posts

Posted - 03/15/2007 :  6:26:32 PM  Show Profile
If was me ... talking to LikaNui ...

Eh sorry brah/sistah... hope neva get damage ... no going happen again. <END of conversation -- take care yo kuleana, and he take care his --- implied!>

(Translation: I am very sorry, I hope there were no negative consequences, I will be more mindful about these things)

Okay, more education, in case some were not aware. Telling him/her to remove his stuff when he/she (removing gender to make this generic) said he/she would, is implying:
- I don't trust you to do as you said you would (you all know that lack of trust breeds hostility)
- Defiance with pissed attitude: okay I took mine off, now take yours off.
- Defiance with pissed attitude: What brah/sistah, you only post to point out mistakes?

And (big AND) ... don't turn this into a race thing. Mid-westerners where I live, have problems with more direct East-coasters even though within the East-coast it is no big deal. So, Likanui, I tink he jus one nerd east-coastah. Me, I tink he get good heart even tho he sound like the haole luna on da big white horsey. I no tink he intended the implications I listed above. This kind of misunderstandings can happen when entering other cultures or sub-cultures within cultures as well.

Separate topic: Shark Tours

I don't care to have sharks associate people with food just as they try to discourage bears (and other wildlife) associating people with food. Some sharks seem to be getting more aggressive in certain areas. They even take the fish off da Hawaiian sling on occasion, if in the "hole" that's okay but not swimming around and blind-siding me and taking it off my spear. Could be my arm or leg. If sharks start doing this more, I will kill them or use more radical methods as deterent, just as they kill/trap aggressive wildlife on the mainland. Hate to do it cuz my friend says sharks is their family aumakua. Most sharks used to usually circle cautiously around my speared fish and I leave the water. Sometimes they took the fish off my stringer but that was okay. They are known as "tax collectors" and we accepted it. The occasional aggressive ones had pects down and backs humped. Those you were extra careful with. But if the frequency of aggression gets higher due to unnatural feeding, me and probably some other fishermen will get more aggressive with those "unnatural" sharks. (FYI: I never killed sharks just for the sake of killing them, they are just "natural" part of the land/ocean.)

Edited by - Menpachi Man on 03/15/2007 6:44:25 PM
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 4 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.12 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000