Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Performance/Event Announcements & Reviews
 Patrick Landeza Teaching at Swannanoa
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

wcerto
Ahonui

USA
5052 Posts

Posted - 03/29/2007 :  10:29:28 AM  Show Profile
The Swannanoa Gathering

http://www.swangathering.org/index.html

… a series of summer workshops in various folk arts held on the campus of Warren Wilson College near Asheville in the heart of North Carolina's beautiful Blue Ridge Mountains. Each week also features public concerts.

Guitar Week - July 29 – August 4, 2007

BEGINNING SLACK KEY GUITAR (Patrick Landeza)
This class will be for the very beginner, focusing on technique and how to develop the slack key sound. We will primarily work on the open G tuning (Taro Patch Tuning). We will touch on slack key scales, vamps and licks, which will lead to a song!
INT./ADV. SLACK KEY GUITAR (Patrick Landeza)
In this class we will primarily work on slack key songs and techiques. We will review the styles of the great slack key masters and teach a song from each style. We will be using the G tuning, Drop-G tuning, C tuning and possibly others. For all my past students, this is a perfect time to come back and learn more!
HAWAIIAN SONGS & SLACK KEY GUITAR (Patrick Landeza)
Ever wanted to sing in Hawaiian while playing the sweet sounds of slack key? Well then, this is the class for you! There will be no “Tiny Bubbles” or “Little Grass Shack” here; instead we will learn several traditional Hawaiian songs, their origins, and, of course, how to accompany yourself playing slack key. Videos will be shown about Hawaiian music and different artists to get the feel of the rich tradition of this unique island style. Just bring your guitar and lots of aloha!

Me ke aloha
Malama pono,
Wanda

Fran Guidry
Ha`aha`a

USA
1579 Posts

Posted - 03/29/2007 :  6:30:27 PM  Show Profile  Visit Fran Guidry's Homepage
In a past life I was a guitar nut, and made friends with lots of other guitar nuts, many of whom make the annual pilgrimage to Swannanoa. From the first year Patrick taught there, I've heard raves from them about the experience. Patrick's classes have become their first choice among all the musical styles and expert teachers at the gathering.

I know my understanding and experience of slack key and Hawaiian music would be vastly poorer without the time and energy Patrick shared with me.

Fran

E ho`okani pila kakou ma Kaleponi
Slack Key Guitar in California - www.kaleponi.com
Slack Key on YouTube
Homebrewed Music Blog
Go to Top of Page

wcerto
Ahonui

USA
5052 Posts

Posted - 03/30/2007 :  03:57:50 AM  Show Profile
Patrick is indeed a most excellent teacher. Last year when we went to Guitar Week at Davis & Elkins College in Elkins, WV, Patrick developed a following. First day of his classes, only two people signed up -- Paul and a young girl from Washington, DC area. Then after the intro of iinstructors where they all played some of their type of music, another guy came into the class, and then it snowballed. Plus, that sweet Patrick, full of Aloha -- cooked dinner on Friday -- one BIG lu`au -- at his expense. The Cajuns were there, too, helping Patrick cook.

Oh, back to music...(my mind wanders)... I think Patrick is such a good teacher because he is a trained educator by trade, because he has the guitar and singing skills, and most of all because he hast the heart.

Anyhow, if you can, please support dear Patrick.

Me ke aloha
Malama pono,
Wanda
Go to Top of Page

`Ilio Nui
`Olu`olu

USA
826 Posts

Posted - 03/30/2007 :  08:26:00 AM  Show Profile
I must agree with Fran. Patrick has been a major influence in my Slack Key life. He has shared his music, soul and stage with me. I am eternally grateful. For those of you who have a chance to study with him, it's a must.

Dog
Go to Top of Page

JimC
Lokahi

USA
135 Posts

Posted - 03/30/2007 :  3:11:32 PM  Show Profile
As a former slack key class mate of Fran and Dave I Could not agree more with them. I am also so very grateful for his willingness to share his knowledge. Heck half the time he would cook us dinner to boot
If you have the chance go.

Jim
http://www.ohanahulasupply.com
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.11 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000