Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 `Uke Talk
 Larrivee Ukes
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

rossasaurus
Lokahi

USA
306 Posts

Posted - 12/01/2002 :  10:24:32 PM  Show Profile  Send rossasaurus a Yahoo! Message
Anybody tried one of these Larrivee ukes out? How do they sound?
I'm not really looking, just curious.

Ross

Edited by - rossasaurus on 12/14/2002 04:59:45 AM

Pauline Leland
`Olu`olu

USA
783 Posts

Posted - 12/02/2002 :  12:18:20 AM  Show Profile
Ralph Shaw had one of the workshops at Uke Fest here in Seattle a few weeks ago. He played a Larrivee soprano or concert. It was wired, I think. It sounded pretty good.

I've heard they are discontinued, don't know. Larrivee's going thru some major business changes right now.

Pauline
Go to Top of Page

Pops
Lokahi

USA
387 Posts

Posted - 12/02/2002 :  11:25:30 AM  Show Profile
I played two or three different sopranos last weekend at a music store ($700-$900)and they were very well built. I tried alot of different makers out and I was truthfully shocked by the shoddy workmanship I found in a number of models from some very respected builders. I was up for buying something and left the store very disappointed because I couldn't find anything in my price range. Unfortunately, there was a lot of inconsistency with the ukes, which I didn't find in checking out a number of different quality guitars in the same price range. No explanation for it but I thought it was interesting. Good luck.
Go to Top of Page

Julie H
Ha`aha`a

USA
1206 Posts

Posted - 12/03/2002 :  6:41:49 PM  Show Profile
Eeek, I found one on eBay and started bidding on it! What a beauty. (Larrivee) Aloha, Julie
Go to Top of Page

rossasaurus
Lokahi

USA
306 Posts

Posted - 12/06/2002 :  12:17:08 AM  Show Profile  Send rossasaurus a Yahoo! Message
Thanks everyone for your comments. Like I say, I'm not looking; must stick to guitar for now!

Pauline, I know, it's funny the ukes pop-up on e-bay, but there's no mention of them on Larrivée's web site. Maybe their uke maker(s) went to Paragon ???

Pops, did you mean you played three different Larrivée's ?

Julie, I know, e-bay is very dangerous, but those ukes are really pretty. Good luck on it if you really want it! and let us know how it sounds if you win.

Ross
Go to Top of Page

Pauline Leland
`Olu`olu

USA
783 Posts

Posted - 12/06/2002 :  01:42:40 AM  Show Profile
Just a day or two ago there were a bunch of Larrivee ukes for sale at an internet site, but where? Elderly? I was surprised because I think they were new, which doesn't quite match what I've heard about their being discontinued. Of course, I just bought a discontinued printer. The discontinuity must be recent.

Pauline
Go to Top of Page

marzullo
`Olu`olu

USA
923 Posts

Posted - 12/06/2002 :  12:20:18 PM  Show Profile  Visit marzullo's Homepage  Send marzullo an AOL message
susie has a larrivee soprano made of curly koa. she got it at bounty music in kahului. it was the sweetest uke in the shop, and sounded better than the kamakas they had (which was the going-in uke of choice).

aloha,
keith

Keith
Go to Top of Page

Pauline Leland
`Olu`olu

USA
783 Posts

Posted - 12/06/2002 :  2:31:12 PM  Show Profile
I found a source, maybe the one I'd been thinking of, at Wichita Band. http://www.wichitaband.com

BTW, I bought a Martin from them, nice folks.

Here's the announcement made on FleaMarketMusic.com, http://www.fleamarketmusic.com/bulletin/bulletin-single.asp?BulletinID=3362

Pauline
Go to Top of Page

Pops
Lokahi

USA
387 Posts

Posted - 12/12/2002 :  4:12:01 PM  Show Profile
Ross,

I played two or three Larrivees (sopranos)and they were each very well constructed. One was slightly discounted, maybe to $650 due to some dings that occured while hanging in the store. I must admit that each one was very nice.

Pops
Go to Top of Page

cpatch
Ahonui

USA
2187 Posts

Posted - 12/12/2002 :  7:28:25 PM  Show Profile  Visit cpatch's Homepage  Send cpatch an AOL message
I don't play the ukulele (yet), heck I barely play the guitar, but I was in Buffalo Bros. here in San Diego over the weekend and was fooling around with some of their ukes. One of the nicest sounding was a Larrivee.

Craig
My goal is to be able to play as well as people think I can.
Go to Top of Page

Julie H
Ha`aha`a

USA
1206 Posts

Posted - 12/13/2002 :  03:43:30 AM  Show Profile
I bid on a Larrivee on ebay but didn't get it because the reserve was not met. However, the person is willing to sell it to me for $925. It is a beauty but does that sound pretty steep to those of you who have seen and played one? Mahalo, Julie
Go to Top of Page

cpatch
Ahonui

USA
2187 Posts

Posted - 12/13/2002 :  04:06:56 AM  Show Profile  Visit cpatch's Homepage  Send cpatch an AOL message
What model? There was one of the basic 03 models for sale on eBay recently for around $300. The one I played at Buffalo Bros. was $700 or $800 but I didn't notice the model. (Buffalo Bros. prices are high but they credit you the full purchase price any time down the road if you decide to trade up.) The original list prices ran from $850 to $1,700 depending on the model. If it helps, here is the original April 2000 retail price list for the entire Uke lineup (with the exception of the 01 model, which doesn't include the rosette or the silver inlay on the headstock):

http://www.guitar.com/news/shownews.asp?newsID=241

Craig

Edited by - cpatch on 01/01/2003 5:14:52 PM
Go to Top of Page

rossasaurus
Lokahi

USA
306 Posts

Posted - 12/14/2002 :  04:58:42 AM  Show Profile  Send rossasaurus a Yahoo! Message
Thanks Craig,

That confirms what I've been able to find out about them; that they only made Sopranos
And it sounds like the factory has some backstock.

As an aside, I just set up a LarrivŽe Guitar Forum(pulled an all-nighter last night) and to my amazement, within 4 hours, Matthew LarrivŽe was posting on there, with Model lists and such. News travels so fast. Anyway, I have some posts on there to try and get the Uke story from LarrivŽe.

http://pub10.ezboard.com/blarriveeappreciatorsforum

From Wichita recently:
I have mahogany and koa ukes on the way from the factory. The mahogany is
$325 and the koa is $648. Please call or email with any other questions.

Thank You,
Nathan Mason

Wichita Band Instrument Co./E.M. Shorts Guitars
2525 E. Douglas Ave.
Wichita, KS 67211
(800) 835-3006 (USA and Canada)
(316) 684-6252 or (316) 684-0291 or (316) 684-1031 outside the USA and
Canada
FAX (316) 684-6858
wbic @ wichitaband.com
Our web address: http://www.wichitaband.com
Go to Top of Page

Admin
Pupule

USA
4551 Posts

Posted - 12/15/2002 :  12:32:08 AM  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage  Send Admin an AOL message  Send Admin an ICQ Message  Send Admin a Yahoo! Message
Ross,

Nice site. I checked it out on Friday. Very cool that Matthew Larrivee is posting.

Andy
Go to Top of Page

cpatch
Ahonui

USA
2187 Posts

Posted - 12/16/2002 :  3:17:26 PM  Show Profile  Visit cpatch's Homepage  Send cpatch an AOL message
Julie, if you haven't already bought, check this one out:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=930091904

Craig
Go to Top of Page

Dogface
Aloha

USA
10 Posts

Posted - 12/24/2002 :  1:08:02 PM  Show Profile
http://www.fqms.com/ukuleles.htm

Larivee Ukes starting @ $300, don't know if they have em in stock though.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.11 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000