Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Da Kine Music Gear
 Microphones:humidity
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

RWD
`Olu`olu

USA
850 Posts

Posted - 04/19/2007 :  08:04:04 AM  Show Profile
I just got a Rode NT-1a to record my guitar (no voice yet). Now I am wondering how important it is to get the mic back into the case w/dessicant after each use. Or does it even matter? My other condenser mic is out all the time. If it is bad for the mic, is the damage permanent or will it go away in lower humidity?

Bob

Bob

Lawrence
Ha`aha`a

USA
1597 Posts

Posted - 04/19/2007 :  08:27:11 AM  Show Profile

A lot of it is a matter of "attitude". Some folks leave their expensive guitars out on hooks or stands so they can see and get to them easily, while others put ever their moderately priced guitars away in the case after every use.

Mics? Same Idea. I like to leave a couple of my good mics on stands and plugged into the mixer, ready to use at a moment's notice. Excess humidity (in Northern California) is not much of an issue. Of course they could be damaged in other ways but I take the risk for the convenience. At UCLA we used to leave several quite expensive Neumann customized mics on stands, on the scoring stage at the cinematography department, plugged in and ready to use.

Excessive humidity can cause even a good condensor mic to have excess "leakage" of the charging voltage, resulting in weird noises generated. However, letting it dry out for a while cures the problem. Cheap condensors (with inadequate seals and non-gold diaphragms) could be damaged permanently.

However the mics can usually take more humidity variation than the guitars. I would guess that 0% to 80% non-condensing humidity is fine (same as most electronics), but if I lived in Hawaii or Florida I would probably use the desiccant and put the mics away after use!

Mahope Kākou...
...El Lorenzo de Ondas Sonoras

Edited by - Lawrence on 04/19/2007 08:28:11 AM
Go to Top of Page

Mark
Ha`aha`a

USA
1628 Posts

Posted - 04/19/2007 :  08:39:03 AM  Show Profile  Visit Mark's Homepage
Hi -

Just about every pro studio I've been in is meticulous about putting the mics away after each sesson. There are lot's of reasons for this -- among them the all too real chance of accidentally knocking the mic stand over.

If for some reason the mic will be left set up, a number of studio owners have directed me to cover the condensors with plastic bags -- I've been told it's to keep dust from electrostatically glomming on the the charged element.

However, Lawrence, who actually is an white coat and slide rule engineer (I only play one in the the studio), has indicated this isn't an issue. So there ya go.

At home I may keep mics up for a few days if I'm in the middle of something, but I try to keep 'em in the boxes, and the boxes secure inside a cabinet, most of the time.

cheers,

Mark
Go to Top of Page

Lawrence
Ha`aha`a

USA
1597 Posts

Posted - 04/19/2007 :  09:04:31 AM  Show Profile
Whoa Mark... you caught me!!

I forgot... I DO cover the mics with plastic anti-static bag covers while not in use (still sitting on their stands), but am not concerned by the humidity. Yes- and I take a chance on breaking them if they are knocked over, same as the Guitar (on it's stand). However, the Guitar is worth about three times as much as the mics and is even more delicate. That is where attitude comes in...

Thanks for the reminder...
quote:
There are lot's of reasons for this -- among them the all too real chance of accidentally knocking the mic stand over.
Not to mention having a mic come-up missing after the last session with the latest "talent", which is one of the many usual reasons.

quote:
who actually is an white coat and slide rule engineer

What's a slide rule? And nobody wears white coats in the Lab anymore! However, I do have to put on a full-coverage "bunny suit" with the special gloves and booties and the air shower, etc. to go into the clean-room (which I try to avoid as much as possible)

Mahope Kākou...
...El Lorenzo de Ondas Sonoras

Edited by - Lawrence on 04/19/2007 1:52:41 PM
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.11 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000