Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Hawaiian Slack Key Guitar / Hawaiian Music
 Practice
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

RJS
Ha`aha`a

1635 Posts

Posted - 12/12/2002 :  1:05:28 PM  Show Profile
Reid,
Sounds like you've got a great pattern going. Any chance of you sharing some of the stuff you've come up with. It seems as if it can be very helpful. You might consider a self-published booklet for a copple of dollars.

Also, there a physical therapist who is developing a new way of working with how the muscles interact and with the connective tissue. I've worked with him and went from only being able to type or play a max of 15 minutes to almost 2 hours, with short stretching inbetween. Unfortunately he works in the SF Bay Area and is only first now beginning to train others in his approach, but if you're ever in the Bay Area and you're interested in a consult, I can give you the info.
Raymond
San Jose
Go to Top of Page

ohanabrown
Lokahi

281 Posts

Posted - 12/12/2002 :  1:52:11 PM  Show Profile
Aloha Reid,

It's been awhile since i've seen you on taropatch. Hope all is well, Please give our warmest aloha and holiday greetings to Sarah too.

It's been busy back here, still having our weekly jams in waihee. I leave for tahiti on Sat. Ikaika left a week earlier to visit with tereva, you know?.... We'll be playing there till the end of the month.

Anyways wanted to thank mark and all those that gave there mana'o on, "Guitars On Airplanes".

I am definitely going to use all of your advise.
Because i'm carring my guitar on board. I'll let you all know how everything went. Haaave a great holiday season everyone!

Mele Kalikimaka, Me Ka Hauoli Makahiki hou!

Kevin

Kevin K. Brown
Go to Top of Page

Reid
Ha`aha`a

Andorra
1526 Posts

Posted - 12/12/2002 :  6:12:54 PM  Show Profile
Aloha e Raymond,

Thanks for the therapy suggestion. I wish I had some connective tissue; got a few muscles, though they are all between the ears :-) As for a booklet - I'll just post what I do, or, better yet, just put up tabs somewhere convenient for y'all (I live in Southern Connecticut). I have really just started and things are not organised the way they ought to be.

Aloha e Kevin - have a *wonderful* trip. Sarah and I wish we were going with you. However, letting that handsome and personable and talented kid of yours go ahead of you, by himself, was not necessarily a business decision. All Papeete (wahines, anyway) will be at his feet and you won't get him to pull himself away to do a gig. So, are you going to have a Mele Kalikimaka and Ka Hauoli Makahiki in Tahiti! Man, I wish I was gonna be at those Parties! Whee Ha!

BTW, do you guys speak French down there? Nous parlons le Francais tres bien. We could be interpreters, if you took us along, you know :-).

me ke aloha Y`all,

Reid
Go to Top of Page

Curtis Takahashi
Akahai

USA
62 Posts

Posted - 12/13/2002 :  6:12:03 PM  Show Profile
Aloha All,

When I practice (usually on a daily basis if I'm not at hula). It's usually for around 45 minutes or so. On the occasional inspired session, I can go for a couple of hours before the left hand begins to tingle and ache, so I can vouch for the absolute need for correct fretting hand position! Also, as those of you with multiple guitars can vouch for, I can go varying amounts depending on if I'm playing nylon string or steel. The important thing in my opinion is: Play as your heart directs you. Other than that, just 'press!

As far as my progress goes, I can tell how well I'm doing by my wife's condition (slack key puts her to sleep, if she's nodding, I'm doing great).

Mele kalikimaka and haole maka hiki hou!

Curtis Takahashi
San Jose too!
Go to Top of Page

cpatch
Ahonui

USA
2187 Posts

Posted - 12/13/2002 :  6:44:59 PM  Show Profile  Visit cpatch's Homepage  Send cpatch an AOL message
quote:
As far as my progress goes, I can tell how well I'm doing by my wife's condition (slack key puts her to sleep, if she's nodding, I'm doing great).
That's pretty funny...slack key puts both my kids to sleep too. My 6-year-old daughter in particular loves Uncle Ray but has yet to be able to make it through the "Ki Ho`alu: That's Slack Key" video without dozing off. (She keeps trying though!)

I never thought of using my kids to measure my own progress with slack key...maybe I should start playing to them at bedtime instead of reading stories!

Craig
My goal is to be able to play as well as people think I can.

Edited by - cpatch on 12/13/2002 6:47:38 PM
Go to Top of Page

RJS
Ha`aha`a

1635 Posts

Posted - 12/13/2002 :  7:59:41 PM  Show Profile
My wife dozes off when I play slack key, too.
Come to think of it, so did a friend's robotic dog -- it even started to snore.
Raymond
San Jose

Hey Curtis, send a note to me at LSRS @ ix.netcom.com. Let's get together.
Go to Top of Page

Fran Guidry
Ha`aha`a

USA
1579 Posts

Posted - 12/13/2002 :  8:52:42 PM  Show Profile  Visit Fran Guidry's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by Reid

...(it has never been clear to me why Es and Bs and some other notes sound good in a D7 chord - except to vacuously say that they are "passing" or "approaching" or "descending" or scale notes).

I'm willing to spout off on this topic as long as I can start by saying that music theory is descriptive, not prescriptive. At the heart of it all it sounds good "because it sounds good." But ...

E and B are common added tones to a D7 chord. If you're referring to the 2nd string open B, especially, you've turned the D7 into a D6, a lovely chord often called "sweet." The E on the 2nd fret of the first string is a 9th degree, since it's higher than the nearby 7th, and a 9th chord is also a popular harmony, one I think of as "salty" or "tangy" or "edgy" but with a touch of sweetness as well. If the 7th is not present, the 2nd tone is a suspended tone, and suspensions are the epitome of sweetness, and one of the trademarks of slack key.

Here's another fun way to think about melody, harmony, and progressions - the cycle of fifths. In taropatch, try these chords, it's what we think of as a turnaround in slack key, V-I:

D7 xxx577 4 beats
G xxx435 4 beats

Now do it but start on the II:

A7 xxx655 2 beats
D7 xxx577 2 beats
G xxx435 4 beats

and you'll hear a Hawaiian turnaround to a uke player. This II-V-I change is also the heart and soul of jazz. But wait, can we go further and start on the E (the fifth of A)?

E7 xxx799 2 beats
A7 xxx655 2 beats
D7 xxx577 2 beats
G xxx435 2 beats

I like it, maybe better with the G at xxx789. The VI-II-V-I is also an old standby. Can we keep going?

B7 xxx877 1 beat
E7 xxx799 1 beat
A7 xxx655 2 beats
D7 xxx577 2 beats
G xxx435 2 beats

The geometry of the guitar makes this kind of thing very easy and fun. You can walk down the cycle of fifths using two shapes.

Anyway, perhaps either of these explanations will satisfy you that it's OK for B and E to sound good with a D chord.

Fran

E ho`okani pila kakou ma Kaleponi
Slack Key Guitar in California - www.kaleponi.com
Slack Key on YouTube
Homebrewed Music Blog
Go to Top of Page

Pauline Leland
`Olu`olu

USA
783 Posts

Posted - 12/13/2002 :  9:55:35 PM  Show Profile
Fran, please spout. I'm printing.

Pauline
Go to Top of Page

Reid
Ha`aha`a

Andorra
1526 Posts

Posted - 12/14/2002 :  12:37:16 PM  Show Profile
Yeah Fran. What Pauline said! This is just the kind of thing I was hoping to learn, but would have taken a loooong time (maybe years) to figure out myself. Mahalo Mondo! I am gonna try out what you described in just a few minutes.

...Reid
Go to Top of Page

Admin
Pupule

USA
4551 Posts

Posted - 12/15/2002 :  12:35:58 AM  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage  Send Admin an AOL message  Send Admin an ICQ Message  Send Admin a Yahoo! Message
Thanks Fran.

That was very cool and very useful. Now I'll need to go figure out what this all means. Reid?

Andy
Go to Top of Page

slackkey
Lokahi

USA
280 Posts

Posted - 12/16/2002 :  03:14:20 AM  Show Profile
Ho! Ho! Ho! "Mele Kaliki Maka" All!

The time right now here along the Northshore of Maui, is 9:25 in the evening. Temperature outside in my Hometown of Paia is a cool 66 degrees!

Oh-ri-dee-den...Any time of the day, night and morning is a great inspiratioal time to "Kiho'alu" for me! "PRACTICE! PRACTICE! PRACTICE! Is the key to better oneself....Practice one's "Kiho'alu Stylings"! It don't matter if you're just a beginner, or play it Professionally!

The main thing is to have a lot of fun with it! Listen to a favorite "Slack Key Tune" or Tunes. However long it takes to learn it, DON'T GIVE UP! Be persistant! Take your "Kika" (guitar) out of it's case...Put it out in the open where you'll always see it...This is just another way to get oneself to practice....To play!

Yet another good way to polish-up your "Stylings", is to get together alot like we do here in "Waihe'e, Maui! We get together every 1st Wednesday of the month then every Saturday thereafter. If you've seen the photos of our "Waihe'e Kiho'alu Sessions", or have joined us like Sarah, Reid and Andy has up at the old Location at "Bailey House Museum", well.....you know that really warm, "chicken-skin" feeling that it gives you....

BTW! "Andy! What happened to the Photos"? Oh well, there must've been a reason why it's not there. Anyways, getting together with others who have that same burning passion for "Kiho'alu" is a real big plus. So, whenever there's a "Kanikajammapila Session" at a place near you....by all means Go! Go! Go! Like Practice! Practice! Practice!

Have a "Wonderful Christmas Holiday"! For My "Bruddah's and Sistah's in CT and every place else that snows during winter A "Beautiful! Wonderful! Snow-White Christmas and a Great New Year 2003! Love you guys! A Hui Hou! Malama Pono....Take care, God Bless! But above all else.....Don't forget....JUS'PRESS!!!!!!!

slackkey Bill
P.S. Eric! You sure you not related to the Takushi's here?
Go to Top of Page

Admin
Pupule

USA
4551 Posts

Posted - 12/16/2002 :  09:06:50 AM  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage  Send Admin an AOL message  Send Admin an ICQ Message  Send Admin a Yahoo! Message
Aloha e Bill,

Funny you asked about the photos. After misplacing them many times, I finally found them again and mailed them off last week. You should get them sometime this week. Only took me 8 months... sorry!

Andy
Go to Top of Page

slackkey
Lokahi

USA
280 Posts

Posted - 12/21/2002 :  04:52:33 AM  Show Profile
Aloha E Andy!

Hi Lynnette! I had forgotten about the pictures you just now mentioned about. The ones I was referring to, are the Waihe'e photos....Found it! That's what happens when I don't keep-up with "CYBER-SPACE". For some odd reason, I couldn't locate them! Just now I found it.....Auwe! What is happenening to me? ha! ha! ha! Hmmmmm.....Must me sun-stroke....Have you been practicing any Christmas Kiho'alu style tunes? I have, well, a little.

BTW! Is it snowing in N.J.? Man! Our supposed to be winter temeperature is in the 80s! This evening tho is a little chilly. At least I can moi moi with warm clothing tonite. But I really.....really miss the snow! This year's "Christmas Weather is like summer weather. So much for cool/cold days! I remember when all our Winter's were really cool. Oh well!

Have a wonderful Christmas you two! Hope to see you guys next year! Take care! God Bless to you and all the rest. Have fun, be safe, and don't forget to JUS'PRESS......A Hui Hou!

slackkey (Bill)
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.11 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000