Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Hawaiian Slack Key Guitar / Hawaiian Music
 A Christmas miracle...
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Julie H
Ha`aha`a

USA
1206 Posts

Posted - 12/20/2002 :  03:52:43 AM  Show Profile
Aloha friends. Tonight I was part of a miracle, the miracle of music and family and ohana and kupuna, and I wanted to share it with you.

We have a friend who on Thursday nights feeds the homeless and less fortunate in his restaurant. For tonight's special dinner, I had suggested Christmas music, happily played by my husband and I. Larry and I have been taking ukulele classes with Michelle Kiba. So I thought we could do a few carols and hymns...

Back up a couple of months, when my son decided he was going to learn the guitar after my musically gifted brother died suddenly. My boy has been playing hard metal, or whatever you call it nowadays. Also sounds just like Jimmy Hendrix. (No relation.) Anyway, last week he came running into the kitchen and said: "I want to play Christmas music with you!" I almost fell off my chair.

So, haha, we practiced a few songs with him. Lo and behold! He was there and waiting for us tonight at the restaurant with my father's precious Martin. (My father also died this summer.) We played the few songs we know, over and over, and received a wonderful response from the diners there.

So here's the miracle. My father had his family whipped into a little choir. Mom, Dad and 4 children. In the sixties we would go to hospitals and asylums and sing Christmas carols. All that went away as the kids grew up and married and the folks retired and moved up North. Music kind of dwindled as only a couple of us played with any consistency. So here we were tonight!!!! Singing and laughing and enjoying each other. It was unreal, I felt my father's spirit, my brother's presence, my mother's encouragement as we sprinted through these songs, missed chords and all. My father's Martin was being played again.

The circle of love was completed. The music was the vehicle for the love. The family was the template. The inspiration was the season and the love we have for those who have not the fortunate circumstances we enjoy. I wanted to pass on some of this love to all of you who are so passionate about your music. And for those of you who celebrate this most magic holiday, have a blessed Christmas. May you enjoy all the blessings we human beings can realize. May we all appreciate the gifts we've been given in the form of our music. With love, Julie

edkalama
Akahai

USA
90 Posts

Posted - 12/20/2002 :  04:34:47 AM  Show Profile  Visit edkalama's Homepage
Thank you for sharing a beautiful experience. Just before I logged on to this site I was telling my wife that it's less than a week before Christmas but I don't feel any Christmas spirit at all. After your Christmas story, now I'm ready...Your family (your Mom & Dad and brother too)is very special indeed.For the rest of the holidays, when I play the Christmas carols in my guitar, I will think about your Christmas miracle.

ed

RJS
Ha`aha`a

1635 Posts

Posted - 12/20/2002 :  6:58:34 PM  Show Profile
Julie,
Thanks for the story. Very moving.
I don't mean to be sarcastic in saying this -- you ought send a note to Hallmark -- your story would make a touching Sunday evening movie, and a great tribute to your dad.
Raymond
San Jose
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.09 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000