Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Hawaiian Slack Key Guitar / Hawaiian Music
 Andy Cummings' "Maui Girl"
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

wcerto
Ahonui

USA
5052 Posts

Posted - 05/29/2007 :  4:33:36 PM  Show Profile
I was listening to Andy Cummings' version of "Maui Girl" today (great CD -- The Wandering Troubadors -- esp. Get Hep to Swing). The part about "her waist is oh so slender, her opu too much nui nui" has me confused. Are they talking about the `opu that means abdomen? If her waist is oh so slender, how can her abdomen be too big? Or does it mean "womb" and she is hapai? Or what? If you read the lyrics at huapala.org, they are much more extensive than Andy Cummings' rendition, and appear to be one more of those old-time kolohe songs. Any help in fostering my understanding of this mele would be greatly appreciated.

Mahalo.

Me ke aloha
Malama pono,
Wanda

Edited by - wcerto on 05/30/2007 12:27:48 AM

Retro
Ahonui

USA
2368 Posts

Posted - 05/29/2007 :  5:29:26 PM  Show Profile  Visit Retro's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by wcerto

...she is hapai?

Bingo.
'As why no tell Mama (and, by extension, Papa) - "nui nui pilikia."
Go to Top of Page

wcerto
Ahonui

USA
5052 Posts

Posted - 05/30/2007 :  12:36:12 AM  Show Profile
Menpachi darlin'...I hope you are holdin' on to something mo' bettah than a Mahtin guitah...yea...one track mind. But then again, you're a man, so you can't help it...you were born that way.

At first I thought opu was ipu and she had big gourds. (For hula, you dirty buggah).

Me ke aloha
Malama pono,
Wanda
Go to Top of Page

rendesvous1840
Ha`aha`a

USA
1055 Posts

Posted - 05/30/2007 :  08:57:03 AM  Show Profile
There are gourds, and then there are "gourds." Not my fault. Ever since 10-12 years old, girls said I let the wrong part do the thinking. After all these years, I have an image to live up to.
Paul

"A master banjo player isn't the person who can pick the most notes.It's the person who can touch the most hearts." Patrick Costello

Edited by - rendesvous1840 on 06/04/2007 5:27:04 PM
Go to Top of Page

wcerto
Ahonui

USA
5052 Posts

Posted - 05/30/2007 :  09:01:27 AM  Show Profile
I married one mayjah kolohe buggah. (Obviously, after 34 years, I wouldn't have it any other way). Yes, I was a mere child when we married.

Me ke aloha
Malama pono,
Wanda
Go to Top of Page

rendesvous1840
Ha`aha`a

USA
1055 Posts

Posted - 05/31/2007 :  2:30:25 PM  Show Profile
I went cradle-robbin',and look what I found! One Sweet Sweety. She's lots younger than me. Almost two whole years!Maybe we go discuss that kolohe stuff more closer.
Paul

"A master banjo player isn't the person who can pick the most notes.It's the person who can touch the most hearts." Patrick Costello
Go to Top of Page

Falsetto2002
Akahai

USA
66 Posts

Posted - 06/04/2007 :  7:03:50 PM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by wcerto

I was listening to Andy Cummings' version of "Maui Girl" today (great CD -- The Wandering Troubadors -- esp. Get Hep to Swing). The part about "her waist is oh so slender, her opu too much nui nui" has me confused. Are they talking about the `opu that means abdomen? If her waist is oh so slender, how can her abdomen be too big? Or does it mean "womb" and she is hapai? Or what? If you read the lyrics at huapala.org, they are much more extensive than Andy Cummings' rendition, and appear to be one more of those old-time kolohe songs. Any help in fostering my understanding of this mele would be greatly appreciated.

Mahalo.

The rendition on huapala is the long version. Andy Cummings did the shorter version that we use today. As shown, she was kolohe and make plenty aloha...all da wahine's I ever DID aloha...he was doing the 10 lessons...so se hapai now so no tell mama, cause she going tell papa...plenty pilikia...auwe no ho'i e...lol

Leo Ki'eki'e
Kalei
Go to Top of Page

wcerto
Ahonui

USA
5052 Posts

Posted - 06/05/2007 :  12:38:13 AM  Show Profile
Gary - thanks for sharing your mana`o. Perhaps you can tell me...must one be born to it to be able to sing ki`eki`e? I love the beautiful songs presented in falsetto and I have tried to sing `em like that, but one hillbilly girl from W. Va. no can do. The reason I like it so well is that reminds me of small kid times at church...way up in a holler with a dirt road...the church had no musical instruments, only my Uncle Ted with his pitch pipe. Before we started singing, he would blow his pitch pipe, everyone would get on key and say: hmmmmmmm; and then they would jump right in singing off-key right from the start, but with verve and gusto and all their heart. The falsetto singing kind of reminds me of that sound. I went to see Auntie Genoa last month and was amazed at the voice of an 89-year old lady...still singing Alika, E Nei, etc. Any books about falsetto singing or videos that can help teach me? I really don't know where to begiin other than just trying to imitate. I've tried that and I sound like a hound dog baying at the moon.

Mahalo nui loa,
Wanda

Me ke aloha
Malama pono,
Wanda
Go to Top of Page

Retro
Ahonui

USA
2368 Posts

Posted - 06/05/2007 :  06:54:54 AM  Show Profile  Visit Retro's Homepage
Practice, practice, practice, Wanda. The singing voice (well, the voice in general) is like a muscle in your body, and you have to work it and train it. I can do falsetto --- sometimes --- but only if I am really warmed up, and still it's nowhere close to the level of control and quality that Gary has.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.11 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000