Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 `Uke Talk
 On-line Beginner Advice
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Absolute
Lokahi

275 Posts

Posted - 06/11/2007 :  4:11:23 PM  Show Profile  Visit Absolute's Homepage
I know that practice helps! I was ready to rule out the 5.5 harmonic on the "A" string on my birdhouse ukulele, then I found a way to make it loud enough to give it potential just by practicing and plucking closer to the bridge.

As for why harmonics aren't the same on all stringed instruments, if I had to guess, I'd guess that the composition and design of the instrument itself will amplify some frequencies more than others over a specific range unique, to some extent, to each instrument. If your strings (a unique factor) have a mass and a tension level due to tuning that creates a significant harmonic at a frequency that is naturally amplified by the sound box, you'll get a louder chime than if the instrument produces harmonics with most of the energy associated with audio frequencies associated with the harmonics in a range that is less likely to be amplified by the sound box (due to its natural resonant frequency range).

This is related to the factor known as cut-off with regard to how rapidly amplification due to the natural resonant frequency of the sound box will drop off from the resonant frequency down to no amplification at all in terms of the shift in amplification as a function of frequency on either side (higher and lower frquency sides) of the resonant frequency of the sound box. The broader the range of amplification in terms of Hertz associated with sound box resonance, the more likely you'll hear a louder chime, unless you somehow have all of the harmonic audio energy produced by the strings present in a frequency range that the soundbox will noticeably amplify. (Remember, some of the audio energy associated with harmonics will be transmitted into the soundbox through the wood on top of the soundbox, some will be reflected by the top - and back - of the sound box,while some will enter the soundbox cavity directly through the sound hole. The incident pressure wave on the top of the soundbox associated with a specific harmonic frequency will thus either be amplified or diminished by sound waves displaced in time that are returning to the top of the soundbox following reflection from some other, and in terms of relevance, most likely, an internal surface. Some frequencies will experience peaks that add, while others, due to a different phase angle shift, may encounter peaks that are almost 180 degrees out of phase, thus almost canceling.) The soundbox is a means of momentarily storing and reflecting energy from the strings, so where it produces a resonant response to a harmonic frequency, that frequency will be louder. This assumes no electrical amplification over a specific frequency range to enhance the harmonic sound level to create an additional, electrical amplifier response characteristic.

One should also not dismiss technique. If you reduce the damping effect on the harmonics produced by a specific string with perfect timing and great reflexes relative to removal of the light contact of the finger used for damping purposes, you get a louder and longer chime.

Thank you.

Edited by - Absolute on 06/12/2007 06:51:38 AM
Go to Top of Page

newbie2
Aloha

1 Posts

Posted - 06/12/2007 :  06:21:08 AM  Show Profile
I'm slowly working through Jim Beloff's John King book - it's great - and he shows harmonics on other frets by fretting - for example at the 3rd fret - with the left hand, damping with the index finger of the right hand at the 15th fret, and plucking with the ring finger of the right hand. Pretty cool, especially when chorded with 2 other strings.
Go to Top of Page

Absolute
Lokahi

275 Posts

Posted - 06/12/2007 :  06:27:01 AM  Show Profile  Visit Absolute's Homepage
I'm lucky to just get the ringing sound...

Thank you.
Go to Top of Page

Absolute
Lokahi

275 Posts

Posted - 06/12/2007 :  06:45:13 AM  Show Profile  Visit Absolute's Homepage
I put some MP3 links and video links that I thought might be inspiring for beginners here:

http://ukulelenow.freeprohost.com/page61.html .

If you don't have a high speed connection, some of the links will be worthless, and others very frustrating due to delays and long download times.

I stopped short of calling them the top ten of all time, as I'd originally intended, but I think they are very good performances that move away from stereotypical representation of the ukulele as an instrument that is so limited that all one can do is strum a few chords on it. I hope others enjoy.

Edited by - Absolute on 06/12/2007 06:49:40 AM
Go to Top of Page

noeau
Ha`aha`a

USA
1105 Posts

Posted - 06/12/2007 :  8:37:52 PM  Show Profile
What newbie2 described is artificial harmonics. Give Hapa a listen for some awesome technique on guitar.

No'eau, eia au he mea pa'ani wale nō.
Go to Top of Page

Absolute
Lokahi

275 Posts

Posted - 06/13/2007 :  05:19:36 AM  Show Profile  Visit Absolute's Homepage
Okay...what in the world is an "artificial" harmonic? (A harmonic on a plastic ukulele? - hee heee!)

Thank you.
Go to Top of Page

bbenzel
Lokahi

USA
130 Posts

Posted - 06/13/2007 :  06:46:31 AM  Show Profile  Visit bbenzel's Homepage
An artificial harmonic, by definition, is a harmonic produced on a string that isn't open.

The usual method of producing a harmonic on an open string is to use one of the fingers of the left hand to damp the string and pluck with the right. That's a "natural" harmonic.

To produce an "artificial" harmonic you fret with the left hand and do the damping and plucking with the right hand simultaneously. So if you fret at 2, the octave harmonic (dividing the string in half) is no longer at 12, it's at 14. You need to damp at 14 and pluck simultaneously. There are two techniques -- the fingerstyle guitarists damp with the tip of the index finger and pluck with the ring finger, metal guitarists use what they call a "pinch" harmonic where a pick strikes the string followed by the flesh of the thumb immediately muting the fundamental and letting the harmonic ring.

I really need to learn how to do that (the fingerstyle method) -- I know what it is, fail miserably whenever a try it and just kind give up after 15 minutes or so of trying.

If any of you have mastered thiat technique, how long did it take and just how much frustration did you need to endure before you finally "got it?"

Bill
Go to Top of Page

Fran Guidry
Ha`aha`a

USA
1579 Posts

Posted - 06/13/2007 :  10:52:04 AM  Show Profile  Visit Fran Guidry's Homepage
You can also damp with the index and pluck with the thumb, damp with the side of the thumb and pluck with any finger, or damp with the palm of the hand and pluck with any finger.

Fran

E ho`okani pila kakou ma Kaleponi
Slack Key Guitar in California - www.kaleponi.com
Slack Key on YouTube
Homebrewed Music Blog
Go to Top of Page

Absolute
Lokahi

275 Posts

Posted - 06/13/2007 :  2:20:48 PM  Show Profile  Visit Absolute's Homepage
It was hard to get that 14th fret "artificial" harmonic to sound. I had to pinch it. Put the string up against my thumb on the A string with the thumb nail pointing toward the "E" string, then pull back a bit with my forefinger, pressing the string into the thumb using the end of the nail of my forefinger, then released. Finding the right spot for the 14th fret "artificial" harmonic was the trick. It's not very loud this way, but if you can find the sweet spot, it should work consistently. (I suppose this is meant to provide "harmonics" with chords based on different fret placement of fingers, but I think I'll just work on getting the naturals.)

Thank you.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.09 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000