Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Performance/Event Announcements & Reviews
 Experiences in Hawai'i
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

RJS
Ha`aha`a

1635 Posts

Posted - 06/23/2007 :  8:40:21 PM  Show Profile
Thanks, Jessie, brought up some really nice aloha in my heart.
Go to Top of Page

kanakaboy
Aloha

USA
26 Posts

Posted - 06/25/2007 :  9:58:45 PM  Show Profile  Send kanakaboy a Yahoo! Message
aloha jesse!

it's me kalae (bobo). remember me? anyway, i just have to say that i'm so happy to read about your experience. it's such a wonderful confirmation to know that i wasn't just going crazy when i first moved to the mainland and saw how different people's perspectives are of what hawaiian music is. you got to see the REAL DEALS and you also got to see that 'ukuleles aren't as common as they are here on the mainland. you got to see ONO music. well, poor me...now i live here in california and die to hear what i've been hearing all my life.

i'm not saying that the music's not good here. it's just NOT the same. even the mac salad is NOT the same here. yet...although there's no place like home, i still love it here in l.a.

anyway, just wanted to say mahalo nui for sharing your experience with all of the taropatchers out there. hope they all get to experience what you experienced. aloha!
Go to Top of Page

hapakid
Luna Ho`omalu

USA
1533 Posts

Posted - 06/26/2007 :  09:57:14 AM  Show Profile  Visit hapakid's Homepage
Hi Bobo!
I recognize how lucky I am to have had the money to travel to Hawai'i, to have Hawaiian family, to be able to experience a gathering at Kamehameha Schools, to meet and hear great musicians, to kanikapila with uncles and aunties who taught me old songs and to have many great friends at Taropatch.net who love the music enough to let me blather on about it all. One aspect of the experience was that I learned to slow down and learn whatever the kupuna were willing to teach at any given time, and then hold that in your heart until it is time to teach someone else. Many of us are in such a hurry to acquire musical knowledge but it is not always the maoli way.
Bobo teaches the maoli way and hope to learn from him again some day.
Although I enjoyed the music and networking, touching base with family was most important and that has, in turn, affected how I understand the music, for the better. Hawaiians and their Hawaiian-ness comes in every color and mixture and the better I understand it, the more I love the music.
Jesse Tinsley
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.09 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000