Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Hawaiian Slack Key Guitar / Hawaiian Music
 What songs/music are you working on?
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 7

Momi
Lokahi

402 Posts

Posted - 06/24/2007 :  10:09:31 AM  Show Profile
In a blatant effort to post (and thus become eligible for the TP capo for June posts) and in tribute to our friends who are all off at camp, what are you working on musically? What are you learning that's new or refining that you already kind of know?

I'm working on re-learning (with more complexity) some older Ohta-san material from my childhood (esp. from "Cool Touch," one of my favorite albums of all time). I'm also trying to memorize words to "Waika," "Wailele o Akaka," and re-memorize accurately the words to "Kaneohe" (many thanks to fellow TP-ers Sarah, Keola D. and Noeau who have inspired me to sing lyrics more accurately).

wcerto
Ahonui

USA
5052 Posts

Posted - 06/24/2007 :  11:16:50 AM  Show Profile
I am researching various "ho`onipo" songs....Ninipo Ho`onipo is the one which has recently caught my interest. Does anyone know who is "Ka Wahine" to whom the mele is referring? Is it the the Queen? Cannot find the lyrics on Huapala.org. I have only ever heard it done by Dennis Kamakahi.

Me ke aloha
Malama pono,
Wanda
Go to Top of Page

RJS
Ha`aha`a

1635 Posts

Posted - 06/24/2007 :  12:59:58 PM  Show Profile
I'm working on three areas:
- I'm relistening to some T Bright CD's and am reworking some of my arrangements. I like that swaying feeling in her stylizing.
- Technique wise, I'm spending more time playing scales starting at random places on the fretboard and going up and down at least 1 octave.
- I'm playing a lot of simple stuff with a definite sense of rhythm for a special new admirer.
- (Not Hawaiian: I'm transcribing some marimba music from the Maya Achi tradition for solo marimba and, in some cases guitar.
Go to Top of Page

cpatch
Ahonui

USA
2187 Posts

Posted - 06/24/2007 :  5:10:36 PM  Show Profile  Visit cpatch's Homepage  Send cpatch an AOL message
quote:
Originally posted by wcerto

I am researching various "ho`onipo" songs....Ninipo Ho`onipo is the one which has recently caught my interest. Does anyone know who is "Ka Wahine" to whom the mele is referring?

I believe it refers to Pele (the Hawaiian goddess of the volcano, not the soccer player...unless it's insulting the masculinity of the soccer player).

Craig
My goal is to be able to play as well as people think I can.
Go to Top of Page

dr. cookie
Lokahi

USA
299 Posts

Posted - 06/24/2007 :  6:57:47 PM  Show Profile
Hi Lori! My current obsession is "Piukeona" . . . a great traditional mele I stumbled upon recently (there's a nice version on Weldon Kekauoha's "Hawaiian Man" CD). I was hoping you could help me understand the part about the "skinny banana" . . . oops, oh hi Gregg . . .

Wanda: Check your email for the lyrics for "Ninipo Ho`onipo" (via The Queen's Songbook) . . . unfortunately, there's no discussion to enlighten us about the identity of wahine in question (except that you'll see that she's "swaying pleasurably in the sea"). Not sure if it's all about the motion of the ocean . . . or something else to do with bananas. Does Paul know you're researching ho`onipo songs??!

Don/Doc/Cookie
Go to Top of Page

hapakid
Luna Ho`omalu

USA
1533 Posts

Posted - 06/24/2007 :  8:57:19 PM  Show Profile  Visit hapakid's Homepage
I wanted to learn something my first Hawaiian grandfather (died 1969) might have played, but he was a jazz guitarist who mostly played chords. My auntie showed me a simple song, "Moonglow", he taught her on the ukulele. I'm a slow study, so I asked her to play it so I could record it.
http://www.youtube.com/v/qCC_xW5VS0E

Jesse Tinsley
Go to Top of Page

RWD
`Olu`olu

USA
850 Posts

Posted - 06/25/2007 :  03:13:18 AM  Show Profile
-I am trying to make sense of the fretboard in altered tunings starting with Taro Patch.
-Almost done with Penei No arr. by Kotani
-Going to try He Ai Na Kalani arr. Kotani after Penei No.
-Learning Tiarra Tahiti arranged by Nelson.
-Planning to do my own arrangements on Hi'ilawe
and Ku'ulei Awapuhi sometime.
That should keep me busy for a while.

Bob
Go to Top of Page

Karl Monetti
`Olu`olu

USA
756 Posts

Posted - 06/25/2007 :  08:18:54 AM  Show Profile  Visit Karl Monetti's Homepage
Working on a solo guitar arrang3ement of T.Bright rendition nof Lei Aloha, Lei Makamae. Keola told me it was as traditional song done at weddings, and i had to play a wedding two weeks ago. I had the arrangement well enough to play then, but refining it some now.
Also working more on my slide stuff, and re-learning how to sing and play at the same time.

Karl
Frozen North
Go to Top of Page

Admin
Pupule

USA
4551 Posts

Posted - 06/25/2007 :  08:29:19 AM  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage  Send Admin an AOL message  Send Admin an ICQ Message  Send Admin a Yahoo! Message
Good topic. Fun to see that everyone is working on fun and different things. I was recently working out a pa`ani to Makee `Ailana. Basically, I got more comfortable with the song so that in case someone throws me one, I'll do better than last time.

Andy
Go to Top of Page

noeau
Ha`aha`a

USA
1105 Posts

Posted - 06/25/2007 :  08:30:56 AM  Show Profile
E Jessie. Awesome video. There were some other links on that page that were great too. Like the jazz festival with Gabe Baltazar And of course Brittney Paiva playing Glass Ball Slack. As for me I'm always working on something I must have a dozen unfinished songs like Georgia on my mind, pua lililehua, thinking of lyrics for Kory's song picking up the steel guitar again from scratch. I'm not very good so I must keep plugging along until I get it down.
I am just inspired by others. For example Alvin Isaacs who could write songs and play anything with strings. Jazz style Hawaiian style and the swing of the 30's and 40's. So I try to emulate and imitate and sometimes regurgitate the music I heard growing up. BTW does anyone remember a song called Sweet Someone. I'm looking for lyrics and chords. I've already looked at the most commonly used resources. This song was popular in the 60's I think the Invitations with Buddy Fo recorded it. Help me out people if you can. Mahalo

No'eau, eia au he mea pa'ani wale nō.
Go to Top of Page

thumbstruck
Ahonui

USA
2164 Posts

Posted - 06/25/2007 :  09:27:28 AM  Show Profile
The last couple years I've been working on playing songs in C while tuned to G. Like Jack says, if you can find a vamp, you can find a song. I worked on vamps for a long while, then started finding things. I discovered that Uncle Leonard Kwan's medley of "Kaneohe-Mama E" is easier in C! I don't tune the lowest string down, that way I have a root for the 2 (D) chord. The low D works well for F also (F6, 6 as the root, or Dmin7). While in C, some part of the melody line must be played on the middle D string. With careful timing, you can play melody and still use the same string for the alternating bass. You must quit chewing gum while doing this procedure, though.
Go to Top of Page

noeau
Ha`aha`a

USA
1105 Posts

Posted - 06/25/2007 :  09:42:09 AM  Show Profile
Thanks for the tip. I always chew gum. So thats why I get hard time!

No'eau, eia au he mea pa'ani wale nō.
Go to Top of Page

Peter Medeiros
`Olu`olu

546 Posts

Posted - 06/25/2007 :  09:55:11 AM  Show Profile  Visit Peter Medeiros's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by noeau

I'm not very good so I must keep plugging along until I get it down....BTW does anyone remember a song called Sweet Someone. I'm looking for lyrics and chords. I've already looked at the most commonly used resources. This song was popular in the 60's I think the Invitations with Buddy Fo recorded it. Help me out people if you can. Mahalo

Hi Al,
Actually you're too modest, you're a pretty good player. Like the rest of us as we go about our lives, you will never stop learning, especially about how much more you would like to know about Hawaiian music. How is the northwest? I know it isn't home but it is affordable. Anyway take care my friend.

SWEET SOMEONE
Sweet someone
Whoever you may be
Sweet someone
You suit me to a tee

Although you pay no attention
To me at all
One look and needless to mention
I had to fall

How I wonder
Who's keeping us apart
Don't blunder
And give away your heart

Until you whisper 'I love you'
And then you'll know
Sweet someone
That you belong to me
Go to Top of Page

bbenzel
Lokahi

USA
130 Posts

Posted - 06/25/2007 :  10:44:11 AM  Show Profile  Visit bbenzel's Homepage
Well, I was asked to play at a wedding which I expect will be very unorthodox -- mostly it'll be my music -- good ol' Tamarack Slack going with whatever I feel like playing but I figured I'd go traditional for the bride's entrance, so I'm working on an arrangement of "Here Comes The Bride" using a slow hula thythm in Taro Patch -- I'm trying to set it in a place where only those who are paying attention will actually recognize it -- I want to have about a 2/3rds majority of the assembled people clueless re what I'm playing.

I need to think about the exit music too. Right now it's a toss up between the Ke Kali Nei Au and Misty (or maybe both). I know the changes for Ke Kali Nei Au (I've performed it before in a rhythm guitarist role) but I haven't ever worked up a full instrumental arrangement -- so it's an opportunity to do that. If I do Misty I'll need to retune to Drop D so I may use that for both if I can get both into playable shape by mid August.

The weather here has finally warmed up and the beach is once again attractive (when I can find a parking space). I serenaded a flock of seagulls and a passel of ground squirrels for an hour and a half yesterday -- I was amazed they hung around that long, seemingly just listening. At one point I was even talking to them (while tuning, I told them "I'm doing this because I care about you guys!")

Am I ready for the asylum yet??

Bill

Go to Top of Page

Lawrence
Ha`aha`a

USA
1597 Posts

Posted - 06/25/2007 :  11:16:21 AM  Show Profile
Aloha from George's workshop.

Much too busy to post until now.

Been working on using the pinkie more and have figured out
(by ear for the first time) Pu'uanahulu in C from the Hui
Aloha disc. I am playing it in dropped-C tuning and using
nothing but "diagonal" chords with the pinkie remaining
planted on the fourth string the whole time. Sounds sweet
that way and is a nice exercise at the same time.

Also made my own chord charts (from Chordhouse) for G minor
tuning (drop the B to Bb) with which I can play Antonio Carlos
Jobim's "Wave" and other Brazilian Jazz. Beginning to get
pretty good at it but it has been a big struggle with seventeen
separate chords in the song, etc.

Mahope Kākou...
...El Lorenzo de Ondas Sonoras

Edited by - Lawrence on 06/25/2007 11:19:12 AM
Go to Top of Page

Momi
Lokahi

402 Posts

Posted - 06/25/2007 :  11:53:36 AM  Show Profile
Dr. Cookie (or is it Kooky?): I can see you need no further practice in being kolohe!

'Tis wedding season, so it's no wonder folks are practicing wedding music. Retro and I played at our friends' daughter's wedding a couple of years ago, playing "Pua Lililehua" for the processional. The father of the bride played the first verse with the band, then put down his guitar to lead his daughter down the aisle. That song remains one of my favorites for that very reason.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 7 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.12 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000