Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Hawaiian Slack Key Guitar / Hawaiian Music
 What songs/music are you working on?
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 7

noeau
Ha`aha`a

USA
1105 Posts

Posted - 06/25/2007 :  12:39:50 PM  Show Profile
Well mahalo Peter for the kind words. Life up here is interesting and the music is good since people here love Ke one Hanau with a passion. I get to correct verses if that is in my capability. If you are ever up this way I hope we hook up.
Now does any body have chords for the wonderful lyrics that Peter was so kind to post?

No'eau, eia au he mea pa'ani wale nō.
Go to Top of Page

wcerto
Ahonui

USA
5052 Posts

Posted - 06/25/2007 :  12:51:21 PM  Show Profile
Al - you are a very modest man, but you sure can play! I found this on Soundclick.com
at the following URL: here
Scroll down the second page to about number 66 and take a listen

Me ke aloha
Malama pono,
Wanda
Go to Top of Page

noeau
Ha`aha`a

USA
1105 Posts

Posted - 06/25/2007 :  12:58:22 PM  Show Profile
Like I said before. More will be revealed.

Go to Top of Page

thumbstruck
Ahonui

USA
2164 Posts

Posted - 06/25/2007 :  1:40:54 PM  Show Profile
Bill Benzell, you reminded me that I've been working on the "Wedding March" also for a gig in August. It lays well for taropatch. I'm going to play is slowly and finish with a vamp.
Go to Top of Page

dr. cookie
Lokahi

USA
299 Posts

Posted - 06/25/2007 :  6:49:49 PM  Show Profile
Well . . . whether spelled k-u-k-i or c-o-o-k-i-e, for some reason it's always pronounced like "kooky" . . . I guess it's an apt moniker.
Go to Top of Page

dr. cookie
Lokahi

USA
299 Posts

Posted - 06/25/2007 :  6:57:13 PM  Show Profile
Noeau: Check your email for the chords I've been using.

Don/Doc/Cookie
Go to Top of Page

Retro
Ahonui

USA
2368 Posts

Posted - 06/25/2007 :  7:01:38 PM  Show Profile  Visit Retro's Homepage
You mean it's not pronounced "koh-oh-kee-eih?"

Question for the experts in `olelo Hawai`i: if we called Don "ko`o ki`eki`e," could that translate as "exalted partner?"
Go to Top of Page

noeau
Ha`aha`a

USA
1105 Posts

Posted - 06/25/2007 :  8:23:39 PM  Show Profile
nah just upland da kine

Go to Top of Page

kaniala5
Akahai

USA
65 Posts

Posted - 06/26/2007 :  2:47:55 PM  Show Profile  Send kaniala5 a Yahoo! Message
I am trying to relearn Moonlight Lady by Bla Pahuniu. I used to play it in the early 80's when I was learning from my neighbor how to play local kine style in Honolulu. I am practicing on a twelve string my kiho'alu tunes almost daily. I have memorized all of the songs that Ozzie put in his Mel Bay book. Playing slack key helps keep me from getting home sick for the islands.

Look for reasons to be happy rather than excuses to be miserable.
Go to Top of Page

wcerto
Ahonui

USA
5052 Posts

Posted - 06/26/2007 :  3:07:03 PM  Show Profile
Daniel - Welcome to Taro Patch. Moonlight Lady is a beautiful song, especially when Bla sings it. Chicken skin! My husband plays it regular style, not kiho`alu kine. Hard for make soun' like Bla cuz he play upside down and backwards (left handed). He plays the bass with his fingers and the melody with his thumb when he plays slack key, but mostly he plays regular kine. He is working on putting out a new CD, sort of his "Legacy" of music.

Me ke aloha
Malama pono,
Wanda
Go to Top of Page

slipry1
Ha`aha`a

USA
1511 Posts

Posted - 06/27/2007 :  06:37:11 AM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by noeau

E Jessie. Awesome video. There were some other links on that page that were great too. Like the jazz festival with Gabe Baltazar And of course Brittney Paiva playing Glass Ball Slack. As for me I'm always working on something I must have a dozen unfinished songs like Georgia on my mind, pua lililehua, thinking of lyrics for Kory's song picking up the steel guitar again from scratch. I'm not very good so I must keep plugging along until I get it down.
I am just inspired by others. For example Alvin Isaacs who could write songs and play anything with strings. Jazz style Hawaiian style and the swing of the 30's and 40's. So I try to emulate and imitate and sometimes regurgitate the music I heard growing up. BTW does anyone remember a song called Sweet Someone. I'm looking for lyrics and chords. I've already looked at the most commonly used resources. This song was popular in the 60's I think the Invitations with Buddy Fo recorded it. Help me out people if you can. Mahalo

Hey, Al - got 'em! I have tab from Jerry Byrd & lyrics from the web. I'll copy them & bring along to our gig on the 4th.

keaka
Go to Top of Page

slipry1
Ha`aha`a

USA
1511 Posts

Posted - 06/27/2007 :  06:39:09 AM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by slipry1

quote:
Originally posted by noeau

E Jessie. Awesome video. There were some other links on that page that were great too. Like the jazz festival with Gabe Baltazar And of course Brittney Paiva playing Glass Ball Slack. As for me I'm always working on something I must have a dozen unfinished songs like Georgia on my mind, pua lililehua, thinking of lyrics for Kory's song picking up the steel guitar again from scratch. I'm not very good so I must keep plugging along until I get it down.
I am just inspired by others. For example Alvin Isaacs who could write songs and play anything with strings. Jazz style Hawaiian style and the swing of the 30's and 40's. So I try to emulate and imitate and sometimes regurgitate the music I heard growing up. BTW does anyone remember a song called Sweet Someone. I'm looking for lyrics and chords. I've already looked at the most commonly used resources. This song was popular in the 60's I think the Invitations with Buddy Fo recorded it. Help me out people if you can. Mahalo

Hey, Al - got 'em! I have tab from Jerry Byrd & lyrics from the web. I'll copy them & bring along to our gig on the 4th.

Oh - I'm working on "Mele of MY Tutu e". It's a kick! Mostly trying to get un-tounge-tied in Hawaiian!

keaka
Go to Top of Page

Retro
Ahonui

USA
2368 Posts

Posted - 06/27/2007 :  06:58:22 AM  Show Profile  Visit Retro's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by slipry1

Oh - I'm working on "Mele of MY Tutu e". It's a kick! Mostly trying to get un-tounge-tied in Hawaiian!
...and I'll bring you this one on the 4th, Keaka...
Go to Top of Page

Fingerpickin
Lokahi

117 Posts

Posted - 06/27/2007 :  3:14:29 PM  Show Profile  Visit Fingerpickin's Homepage
Currently working on "This Old Guitar" (Kuu Kika Kahiko) by Ozzie in C Moana loa.

I hate to admit but that 6-3 bass pattern is kicking my butt.

It is just SO difficult to transition to this pattern, my fingers are all stupid.

After several months, I can play the first 2 pages of this 10 page song...*sigh**....wish me well....

-Lance

"Hey Lance, try watch." -Ozzie
Go to Top of Page

kihoalukid
Lokahi

USA
289 Posts

Posted - 06/27/2007 :  5:24:51 PM  Show Profile  Visit kihoalukid's Homepage
Ive been building a deck, lets just say its not very "Nahenahe" and leave it at that.

Lee
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 7 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.16 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000