Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Hawaiian Slack Key Guitar / Hawaiian Music
 What songs/music are you working on?
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 7

RWD
`Olu`olu

USA
850 Posts

Posted - 06/28/2007 :  01:50:31 AM  Show Profile
quote:
Currently working on "This Old Guitar" (Kuu Kika Kahiko) by Ozzie in C Moana loa.

I wanted to learn that song too, a while back, but couldn't bear to have another one-song tuning in my rep. I already have two. I could solve this problem by getting more guitars but eventually you would find me on the street pushing a shopping cart. :)

Bob

Edited by - RWD on 06/28/2007 01:51:27 AM
Go to Top of Page

Mika ele
Ha`aha`a

USA
1493 Posts

Posted - 06/28/2007 :  11:55:06 AM  Show Profile
Bob,
There are plenty of songs in that tuning. I have been working on Ku'u Kika Kahiko from Ozzie as well (I am glad I recorded him playing it during a lesson). Many of Dennis Kamakahi's songs are in that tuning. I was told Gabby played Hi'ilawe in this tuning. Ozzie has a few more songs in that tuning as well -- I think "Ki Ho'alu" is one. The tricky part is the paucity of available tablature in that tuning.

There is a really neat sounding C chord with the 7/8 frets on strings 1/2 and open 3-6. Plus slides on the upper two strings don't produce a squeek since they are not wound on steel strings.

E nana, e ho'olohe. E pa'a ka waha, e hana ka lima.
Go to Top of Page

alika207
Ha`aha`a

USA
1260 Posts

Posted - 07/14/2007 :  2:03:25 PM  Show Profile  Visit alika207's Homepage  Send alika207 an AOL message  Click to see alika207's MSN Messenger address  Send alika207 a Yahoo! Message
Does just singing count? I'm working on singing "'Alika" by Auntie Genoa Keawe. A hard song to sing, I know. However, I feel like I'm holding the high note in it longer than I was when I first started. I think I can do it for at least 30 seconds now. I'm proud of myself.

He kehau ho'oma'ema'e ke aloha.

'Alika / Polinahe

Edited by - alika207 on 07/14/2007 2:04:38 PM
Go to Top of Page

hapakid
Luna Ho`omalu

USA
1533 Posts

Posted - 07/14/2007 :  8:58:07 PM  Show Profile  Visit hapakid's Homepage
Aloha e Alika,
That is a wonderful song, but don't try and sing the song like Auntie Genoa. It's her signature "show off" piece, but her version isn't the only one. There are lots of ways to sing it. You should find the meaning of the song (beyond the coincidence of your name) that is important to you and just try to tell the story in your own way.
Jesse Tinsley
Go to Top of Page

alika207
Ha`aha`a

USA
1260 Posts

Posted - 07/15/2007 :  12:24:26 AM  Show Profile  Visit alika207's Homepage  Send alika207 an AOL message  Click to see alika207's MSN Messenger address  Send alika207 a Yahoo! Message
quote:
Originally posted by hapakid

Aloha e Alika,
That is a wonderful song, but don't try and sing the song like Auntie Genoa. It's her signature "show off" piece, but her version isn't the only one. There are lots of ways to sing it. You should find the meaning of the song (beyond the coincidence of your name) that is important to you and just try to tell the story in your own way.
Jesse Tinsley

Mahalo for the advice. I think I sound more like Raiatea Helm when I sing it (haha), but that's okay with me.
Just FYI, I met this kid at camp this year, and when I told him that my Hawaiian name is 'Alika and told him the meaning, he started calling me Arctic kiddingly. Other nicknames he used were Iceberg, Icecube, and Glacier. He made me laugh out loud! I think he has a crush on me. Hahaha!

'Alika / Polinahe
Go to Top of Page

hawaiianmusiclover06
`Olu`olu

USA
562 Posts

Posted - 07/15/2007 :  7:16:21 PM  Show Profile  Visit hawaiianmusiclover06's Homepage  Send hawaiianmusiclover06 an AOL message  Click to see hawaiianmusiclover06's MSN Messenger address  Send hawaiianmusiclover06 a Yahoo! Message
quote:
Originally posted by dr. cookie

Hi Lori! My current obsession is "Piukeona" . . . a great traditional mele I stumbled upon recently (there's a nice version on Weldon Kekauoha's "Hawaiian Man" CD). I was hoping you could help me understand the part about the "skinny banana" . . . oops, oh hi Gregg . . .

Wanda: Check your email for the lyrics for "Ninipo Ho`onipo" (via The Queen's Songbook) . . . unfortunately, there's no discussion to enlighten us about the identity of wahine in question (except that you'll see that she's "swaying pleasurably in the sea"). Not sure if it's all about the motion of the ocean . . . or something else to do with bananas. Does Paul know you're researching ho`onipo songs??!

Don/Doc/Cookie

For me, I am trying to sing and learn the words to Piukeona off of Weldon Kekauoha's Hawaiian Man CD and the words to Ka Lehua 'ula off Weldon Kekauoha's newest CD release under the same title.

Alana :)

Aloha Kakou, maluhia a me aloha mau loa (Hello everyone, peace and love forever)
Go to Top of Page

alika207
Ha`aha`a

USA
1260 Posts

Posted - 07/16/2007 :  12:08:01 AM  Show Profile  Visit alika207's Homepage  Send alika207 an AOL message  Click to see alika207's MSN Messenger address  Send alika207 a Yahoo! Message
quote:
Originally posted by hawaiianmusiclover06

quote:
Originally posted by dr. cookie

Hi Lori! My current obsession is "Piukeona" . . . a great traditional mele I stumbled upon recently (there's a nice version on Weldon Kekauoha's "Hawaiian Man" CD). I was hoping you could help me understand the part about the "skinny banana" . . . oops, oh hi Gregg . . .

Wanda: Check your email for the lyrics for "Ninipo Ho`onipo" (via The Queen's Songbook) . . . unfortunately, there's no discussion to enlighten us about the identity of wahine in question (except that you'll see that she's "swaying pleasurably in the sea"). Not sure if it's all about the motion of the ocean . . . or something else to do with bananas. Does Paul know you're researching ho`onipo songs??!

Don/Doc/Cookie

For me, I am trying to sing and learn the words to Piukeona off of Weldon Kekauoha's Hawaiian Man CD and the words to Ka Lehua 'ula off Weldon Kekauoha's newest CD release under the same title.

Alana :)

Pomaika'i e Alana! You'll get it down in no time at all. Let's talk soon. Miss ya!

'Alika / Polinahe
Go to Top of Page

alika207
Ha`aha`a

USA
1260 Posts

Posted - 08/22/2007 :  04:30:48 AM  Show Profile  Visit alika207's Homepage  Send alika207 an AOL message  Click to see alika207's MSN Messenger address  Send alika207 a Yahoo! Message
quote:
Originally posted by hapakid

Aloha e Alika,
Jesse Tinsley

If I ever sing it for people over here on the mainland who don't know how to speak Hawaiian or if I'm at, let's say, the Old Lahaina Lu'au, what I will do is I'll sing it and at the end of each line I'll translate it into English so the audience knows what it means.

'Alika

'Alika / Polinahe
Go to Top of Page

Pua Kai
Ha`aha`a

USA
1007 Posts

Posted - 08/22/2007 :  06:27:25 AM  Show Profile
Aloha!
Dick, Scott and I are working on Ozzie's version of Ka Uluwehi O Ke Kai..... It would be very nice to have a simple recording of it, but we didn't catch Ozzie playing it all the way through and all the versions on CDs are Sooooo nice, but not for the inexperienced. I've promised Uncle Henry that I will play it at Bob's
on my blue guitar one of these days...
The guys are both better guitarists than I, but we are trying to get Molehu, Kealoha and some of Ozzie's others into our repertoire - - maybe so Dick and I can play at Kaisen's?
I like Keith's version of Ku`u Lei Awapuhi so that is on the near-term list as well.
Is anyone thinking of Christmas caroles this year? I hope so! I'm talking about playing them in slack key of course... presumably the singers already know how to sing them.
aloha!!
n
Go to Top of Page

noeau
Ha`aha`a

USA
1105 Posts

Posted - 08/22/2007 :  07:02:19 AM  Show Profile
Are you guys learning by ear off a CD? Or is there another Ozzie book that I don't see in the bibliography in the learn section of this forum? You guys mention songs that I don't seem to be familiar with related to Ozzie.

No'eau, eia au he mea pa'ani wale nō.
Go to Top of Page

Pua Kai
Ha`aha`a

USA
1007 Posts

Posted - 08/22/2007 :  07:18:58 AM  Show Profile
Ozzie was a kumu at George Kahumoku's workshop on Maui this summer. He is available for lessons on O`ahu if you are traveling there. When he gives a class or workshop, he shares the tab with us, urging us to learn it, then get rid of it ASAP. He has a wonderful new DVD out as well. Over the years, he has tabbed out a great number of songs, but has asked us not to share or post them electronically. One of these days, I sure do hope I can learn just by listening, but it's hard enough just to learn anything new given my short-term memory problems at this advanced age.....
n
Go to Top of Page

Hula Rider
Lokahi

USA
215 Posts

Posted - 08/28/2007 :  3:49:12 PM  Show Profile  Visit Hula Rider's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by Momi

In a blatant effort to post (and thus become eligible for the TP capo for June posts) and in tribute to our friends who are all off at camp, what are you working on musically? What are you learning that's new or refining that you already kind of know?

Aloha! I'm working on getting better at "Saddle Road." Keoki and Sonny did such a nice job backing me up on the CD that I need to get a LOT better so I don't disappoint people who come to hear me!
Go to Top of Page

wcerto
Ahonui

USA
5052 Posts

Posted - 08/28/2007 :  3:51:37 PM  Show Profile
Aloha e Hula Rider: Please wear a helmet when you ride and urge all your motorcycle `ohana to do so as well. Please be safe.

Me ke aloha
Malama pono,
Wanda
Go to Top of Page

da_joka
Lokahi

361 Posts

Posted - 08/30/2007 :  05:39:57 AM  Show Profile
Howzit Hula Rider ... Hilo no ka oi, no?

Afta choke months of reading, listening to, an studying practice kine slack key stuffs ... i stay starting fo learn my first piece, La Paloma, Arr. Ray Kane.

If can, can. If no can, no can.
Go to Top of Page

Retro
Ahonui

USA
2368 Posts

Posted - 08/30/2007 :  06:35:19 AM  Show Profile  Visit Retro's Homepage
All right, Brandon! If you can find others to kanikapila with, even if you can only play parts of some of the pieces, you might find that it really helps you. After decades of futzing around with a variety of instruments on my own, I found that I only learned how to really play 'em if I played with others. Share what you can, and others will give so much back to you.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 7 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.11 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000