Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Hawaiian Slack Key Guitar / Hawaiian Music
 What songs/music are you working on?
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 7

RJS
Ha`aha`a

1635 Posts

Posted - 08/31/2007 :  5:43:58 PM  Show Profile
Mark,
You wrote:
Your heart does a dang good job of keeping time (6/8, if you really must know.) When musicians play in synch, their heartbeats get in line.

Not only your heart beats get in synch, but your brains waves synch up too. For me, that's the really interesting part.
Go to Top of Page

Mark
Ha`aha`a

USA
1628 Posts

Posted - 09/01/2007 :  07:00:06 AM  Show Profile  Visit Mark's Homepage
quote:
Not only your heart beats get in synch, but your brains waves synch up too. For me, that's the really interesting part.

Ah, that age old mind-body duality!!

On a serious note -- yep, that's what musicians have known for ages. It's a matter of synch or swim....
Go to Top of Page

wcerto
Ahonui

USA
5052 Posts

Posted - 09/06/2007 :  06:03:53 AM  Show Profile
Here is the song which of late has attracted my attention. My goal is to learn to sing this without a cheat sheet and to research the origins and kaona. If you go on Auntie Maria's web site, you will find over 30 entries for this song, done by such a wide variety of artists and done in a wide variety of styles, iincluding instrumentals. The most beautiful vocal version I have heard is by Rodgers Lena Naipo, which I have on "Hula Big Island Style" (available from Auntie Maria).

Here are the lyrics. If anyone has any stories to tell about the history of the mele, I would appreciate if you would be kind enough to share your mana`o.

Pauoa Ka Liko Ka Lehua - Emma Bush

Aia i Pauoa ka liko ka lehua
Ka `i`ini pau `ole a ka makemake

Makemake nô wau la e `ike lihi
*(makemake no au a`e i ka lihi)
I ka lawe ha`aheo a ke kîkala

Pâlua, pâkolu i ke kekona
I ka ho`i `âkau ho`i i ka hema

Hemahema ka palena ua lolelole
`Ua `ewa ka pilina me ka nihoniho

Nihoniho mai nei ko pelekoki
I ka iho `akau ho`i i ka hema
*(I ka iho makawalu o ka lihilihi)

A he lihi kuleana ko`u i laila
I ka lo`u `ûmi`i a ka huapala

He aloha kahi wai o `Auwaiolimu
Ia wai lomi lima me ku`u aloha

Ha`ina `ia mai ana ka puana
Aia i Pauoa ka liko lehua

*Alternate Stanzas
----------------------------
There at Pauoa is the lehua bud
My endless yearning and desire

I'd like to catch even a glimpse
*(Of the proud swaying hips)
Of her figure strutting about

Twice, thrice in a second
Back and forth, right to left

Not fitting right, the border is turned inside out
The toothed edges do not fit perfectly

Your petticoat is scalloped
Swaying to the right and then to the left
*(The inner layers of quantities of lace)

I took a rightful interest there
The sweetheart bent over with a sidepain from
walking too fast

Beloved is the stream of `Auwaiolimu
The water where hands were fondled with my loved one

Tell the refrain
There at Pauoa is the lehua bud

*Alternate Translation

Me ke aloha
Malama pono,
Wanda
Go to Top of Page

Fingerpickin
Lokahi

117 Posts

Posted - 09/07/2007 :  09:23:00 AM  Show Profile  Visit Fingerpickin's Homepage
Currently working on Sanoe, putting the finishing touches on Ozzies Napili Chimes, and trying to memorize E ku'u Morning Dew which I can play but not yet from memory. On the back burner is Ku'u kika kahiko which prooved too much of a challenge for me at present. I'll try again soon!

-Lance

"Hey Lance, try watch." -Ozzie
Go to Top of Page

mpi_50
Lokahi

USA
133 Posts

Posted - 09/18/2007 :  10:23:38 AM  Show Profile  Send mpi_50 a Yahoo! Message
I'm attempting "Wanting Memories" by Keali'i Reichel in F Wahine. Wahine Ilikea in a modified Taro Patch "G", and "E Kuu Lei Awapuhi Melemele", "Sanoe" and "Kalena Kai". There are numerous other valiant attempts at other songs when I cruise through my list of favorite tunings. I like the sound of "Honu Tuning", but I can't think of a song that works with it. Any ideas? KOKUA!
Go to Top of Page

Retro
Ahonui

USA
2368 Posts

Posted - 09/18/2007 :  11:51:17 AM  Show Profile  Visit Retro's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by mpi_50

"Wanting Memories" by Keali'i Reichel

To hear a different take on this song, see if you can find the original version, performed by Sweet Honey In The Rock.
Go to Top of Page

les_maverick
Lokahi

USA
238 Posts

Posted - 01/09/2008 :  6:57:58 PM  Show Profile  Visit les_maverick's Homepage  Send les_maverick an AOL message  Send les_maverick a Yahoo! Message
quote:
Originally posted by Pua Kai

Aloha!
Dick, Scott and I are working on Ozzie's version of Ka Uluwehi O Ke Kai..... It would be very nice to have a simple recording of it,

Does anyone have tabs for this song.
I would like to learn the slack key version.
Go to Top of Page

hawaiianmusiclover06
`Olu`olu

USA
562 Posts

Posted - 01/12/2008 :  12:35:41 AM  Show Profile  Visit hawaiianmusiclover06's Homepage  Send hawaiianmusiclover06 an AOL message  Click to see hawaiianmusiclover06's MSN Messenger address  Send hawaiianmusiclover06 a Yahoo! Message
Aloha! I am currently working on the song "Hilo" written by Keali'i Blaisdell on the piano.

At the moment though, I am trying to learn the words to Weldon Kekauoha's song Queen's Jubilee also. Its a beautiful song by Queen Liliuokalani.

Alana :)

Aloha Kakou, maluhia a me aloha mau loa (Hello everyone, peace and love forever)

Edited by - hawaiianmusiclover06 on 01/12/2008 12:40:36 AM
Go to Top of Page

wcerto
Ahonui

USA
5052 Posts

Posted - 09/06/2008 :  03:40:58 AM  Show Profile
I was working on scrapbook pictures from our trip to Wolftrap and remembering the fun we had and the nice songs from Claudia and Jack and everyone. Jack played "Mele for my Tutu E" on my `ukulele and I remembered this thread where he said he was working in the song. Well, I have to tell you that he musta worked on it well, because he did a fantastic job of it. I love the song. I always think of Martin Pahinui when I hear it. Jack sure did it justice.

But what ARE you working on now folks? I am working on the second verse of `Ulupalakua. I always seem to get messed up on it for some reason. Just the first two lines of the second verse. I know the hula moves, but why cannot I remember the words? Yeah, Ed & Glenn -- I know. Must be because I am a makule old fut. I am also working on Hokule`a Star of Gladness. That is so Jay can be proud of me when we get together next time.

Me ke aloha
Malama pono,
Wanda

Edited by - wcerto on 09/06/2008 05:36:34 AM
Go to Top of Page

alika207
Ha`aha`a

USA
1260 Posts

Posted - 09/06/2008 :  04:30:41 AM  Show Profile  Visit alika207's Homepage  Send alika207 an AOL message  Click to see alika207's MSN Messenger address  Send alika207 a Yahoo! Message
Last week in my 'ukulele lesson, I branched out and worked on "Something," "Let it Be," and "Hey Jude." Besides all the Hawaiian songs I play, I also figured out "Free Falling" last weekend. I want to finger pick "Stairway to Heaven."

He kehau ho'oma'ema'e ke aloha.

'Alika / Polinahe

Edited by - alika207 on 09/06/2008 10:02:29 AM
Go to Top of Page

alika207
Ha`aha`a

USA
1260 Posts

Posted - 09/06/2008 :  04:34:06 AM  Show Profile  Visit alika207's Homepage  Send alika207 an AOL message  Click to see alika207's MSN Messenger address  Send alika207 a Yahoo! Message
quote:
Originally posted by wcerto

I was working on scrapbook pictures from our trip to Wolftrap and remembering the fun we had and the nice songs from Claudia and Jack and everyone. Jack played "Mele for my Tutu E" on my `ukulele and I remembered this thread where he said he was working in the song. Well, I have to tell you that he musta worked on it well, because he did a fantastic job of it. I love the song. I always think of Martin Pahinui when I hear it. Jack sure did it justice.

But what ARE you working on now folks? I am working on the second verse of `Ulupalakua. I always seem to get messed up on it for some reason. Just the first two lines of the second verse. I know the hula moves, but why cannot I remember the words? Yeah, Ed & Glenn -- I know. Must be because I am a mkaule old fut. I am also working on Hokule`a Star of Gladness. That is so Jay can be proud of me when we get together next time.

The Iz one or the Leon and Malia one?

He kehau ho'oma'ema'e ke aloha.

'Alika / Polinahe
Go to Top of Page

wcerto
Ahonui

USA
5052 Posts

Posted - 09/06/2008 :  05:36:54 AM  Show Profile
The Iz one.

Me ke aloha
Malama pono,
Wanda
Go to Top of Page

Retro
Ahonui

USA
2368 Posts

Posted - 09/06/2008 :  07:14:48 AM  Show Profile  Visit Retro's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by wcerto

Jack played "Mele for my Tutu E" on my `ukulele and I remembered this thread where he said he was working in the song. Well, I have to tell you that he musta worked on it well, because he did a fantastic job of it. I love the song. I always think of Martin Pahinui when I hear it. Jack sure did it justice.
He's just about got "Pua Mana" down now.
Go to Top of Page

Podagee57
Lokahi

USA
280 Posts

Posted - 09/06/2008 :  10:11:50 AM  Show Profile  Visit Podagee57's Homepage
The John Cruz version of Kawailehue'a'alakahonua. Simple but oh so pretty. About got Jesse Tinsley's version of Paliakamoa down...thanks for sharing that with us Jesse.

What? You mean high "E" is the TOP string. No way dude! That changes everything!
Go to Top of Page

hapakid
Luna Ho`omalu

USA
1533 Posts

Posted - 09/06/2008 :  4:19:44 PM  Show Profile  Visit hapakid's Homepage
Thanks, Podagee. That song has a wide vocal range and is a chore to sing.
I've been sitting around playing songs lately, but have realized that I'm not a perfectionist so I work on a song for five minutes, then I'm done and off to something else. I guess my lack of focus will keep me in the amateur camp, but that's okay. I just play for fun.

Jesse Tinsley
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 7 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.14 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000