Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Recording Announcements & Reviews
 Darin Leong "Five Years and Many Miles"
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Retro
Ahonui

USA
2368 Posts

Posted - 10/17/2007 :  08:10:44 AM  Show Profile  Visit Retro's Homepage
My review is now online here: http://www.northwesthawaiitimes.com/greggsept07.htm#darin
(from the Sep. '07 Northwest Hawai`i Times.)
Go to Top of Page

Admin
Pupule

USA
4551 Posts

Posted - 10/17/2007 :  09:06:22 AM  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage  Send Admin an AOL message  Send Admin an ICQ Message  Send Admin a Yahoo! Message
Gregg,

Thanks for the review. It was fun to be a part of this CD, and it's a hoot to be mentioned (me and Taropatch.net ~mahalo for the plug~) in the review. I read your other reviews and never new about the hidden track on Sean Na`auao & Robi Kahakalau: "S&R". Good stuff.

Andy
Go to Top of Page

wcerto
Ahonui

USA
5052 Posts

Posted - 10/17/2007 :  5:03:20 PM  Show Profile
Very well written review, Gregg. All your reviews are well written and interesting. Hows about reviewing the new Cyril Pahinui? I'd be very interested in other folks opinion of it, especially well-trained, experience, knowledgeable musician such as yourself.

Me ke aloha
Malama pono,
Wanda
Go to Top of Page

Darin
Lokahi

USA
294 Posts

Posted - 10/17/2007 :  9:47:28 PM  Show Profile  Visit Darin's Homepage
Hi Gregg,

Thanks for the review!

Darin
http://www.hawaiiguitar.com/
Go to Top of Page

`Ilio Nui
`Olu`olu

USA
826 Posts

Posted - 11/09/2007 :  04:49:00 AM  Show Profile
Darin,

Saw the CD and picked it up at Sun Jose Hawaii in Eastridge Mall, San Jose. Very nice! Mahalo.

Dave
Go to Top of Page

Darin
Lokahi

USA
294 Posts

Posted - 11/10/2007 :  06:53:38 AM  Show Profile  Visit Darin's Homepage
Thanks Slack Dog! I certainly appreciate the support.

Darin
Go to Top of Page

Mika ele
Ha`aha`a

USA
1493 Posts

Posted - 12/19/2007 :  08:23:07 AM  Show Profile
Darin,
I picked up the CD at the local Hawaiian Store in Oceanside just before our weekly Slack Key Open Mike. Chunky Monkey (Terry) and I judge a CD by how many songs we would like to learn to play. . . . Darin, I would like to learn ALL OF THEM on this CD. Well Done -- Bravo Zulu (Navy Speak). When I copy songs to my iPod to listen while walking the dog and on long runs/walks I rate each song from one to five stars based on how much I would like to listen to the song again. I gave all 13 songs five stars!!!!!

My favorites, (in track order) are:
1 Gratitude
2 Sunday
6 Aloha Papalua
7 In The Morning
12 Five Years
13 Prayer For The City

For the rest of you, all of these songs are originals written by and recorded by Darin, except "Aloha Papalua" which he co-wrote with our own Andy (aka Admin). There is a consistent "groove" throughout the CD that makes this a very enjoyable listening experience. This will make an excellet stocking stuffer for all your acoustic guitar, ukulele, and slack key inclined friends.

E nana, e ho'olohe. E pa'a ka waha, e hana ka lima.

Edited by - Mika ele on 12/20/2007 12:14:42 PM
Go to Top of Page

Admin
Pupule

USA
4551 Posts

Posted - 12/19/2007 :  09:49:37 AM  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage  Send Admin an AOL message  Send Admin an ICQ Message  Send Admin a Yahoo! Message
Thanks Mika`ele! How much do we owe you? I am proud to have been a part of Darin's excellent CD. It has garnered many positive reviews, but it always means the most when your `ohana (especially Taropatch.net `ohana) tell you, "Well Done -- Bravo Zulu."

Andy
Go to Top of Page

Larry Goldstein
Lokahi

267 Posts

Posted - 12/19/2007 :  11:26:43 AM  Show Profile
quote:
Darin, I would like to learn ALL OF THEM on this CD.

At this point I'd be happy to just learn HOW the opening bars on Gratitude is played.

A very fine CD indeed.

Larry
Go to Top of Page

Darin
Lokahi

USA
294 Posts

Posted - 12/20/2007 :  09:14:56 AM  Show Profile  Visit Darin's Homepage
Thanks for the compliments and encouragement! It definitely means more comming from the Taropatch community.

Darin
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.11 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000