Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Hawaiian Slack Key Guitar / Hawaiian Music
 Drums in Hawaiian Music
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

wcerto
Ahonui

USA
5052 Posts

Posted - 07/10/2007 :  06:36:59 AM  Show Profile
I think one of the reasons I really love Hwaiian music is the lack of drums. Modern music uses those synthesized drum sounds which do nothing but create a throbbing headache which pounds in time with the drum beats. It may be just the frequency of the sound that just hits a bad spot in my hears...I really dunno. But slack key, especially has no need for drums as the western world knows them, because you get the rythym from the bass. I don't mean drums like used in hula, or gourds. That is swell...they BELONG. Even though plenty of Hawaiian musicians use electric bass or even electric guitars, I have none seen any of them using a whole big set of drums, ala Ringo Starr or Phil Collins. Well, Bruddah Iz did have drummers/percussionists, but that is about the only one I can think of.
I also like the fact that plenty of Hawaiian musicians still use acoustic stand-up bass. That makes a real pretty sound...mellow, rich and resonant.

Why do you think the lack of "modern" drums in Hawaiian music?

I can think of a few reasons:
1. Hard fo carry da drum set on da back of da horse when paniolo are out in the hills.
2. Drums may have "sacred" cultural connotation -- to be used for specific reasons only.
3. Harsh...doesn't go with the nahenahe.
4. Easy enough to keep time...tap your feet. I once saw in a film of Uncle Ray, with a pillow under his foot when recording. He musta made too much noise for the sound engineer.

Me ke aloha
Malama pono,
Wanda

RWD
`Olu`olu

USA
850 Posts

Posted - 07/10/2007 :  08:07:58 AM  Show Profile
Because, eventualy they all want to play "Wipe-Out" and no one else wants to hear it! haha :)

Bob

Edited by - RWD on 07/10/2007 08:19:40 AM
Go to Top of Page

wcerto
Ahonui

USA
5052 Posts

Posted - 07/10/2007 :  09:10:57 AM  Show Profile
Not even.... at this link from the `ukulele festival, at about 5:40, there are keiki playing Wipe Out on the `ukulele WITHOUT drums.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hd5OYUntmQg

Me ke aloha
Malama pono,
Wanda
Go to Top of Page

Russell Letson
`Olu`olu

USA
504 Posts

Posted - 07/10/2007 :  09:24:35 AM  Show Profile  Visit Russell Letson's Homepage
It's not that Hawaiian music lacks drumming so much as that it lacks the American drum kit (which is itself considerably less than a century old). Some recommended listening: "The Best of Hawaiian Slack Key with Gabby Pahinui" (Waikiki WCD-340), which is drawn from a bunch of late-50s Waikiki LPs and singles. It's classic club music, with percussion, keyboards, and steel as well as Gabby's guitar, and it's great stuff--I especially like "Hame Pila" and "I Ka Po Meke Ao." I'm told that Sonny also liked percussion and would play congas himself.

Slack key and Hawaiian string-combo music, like bluegrass and gypsy jazz, generally doesn't need drums to swing, but I've heard all those styles incorporate drumming without losing their characters.

Go to Top of Page

thumbstruck
Ahonui

USA
2164 Posts

Posted - 07/10/2007 :  09:47:16 AM  Show Profile
Another style of music that is mostly drumless is Oberkrainer from the border of Slovenia and Austria. The guitar is the "snare and high-hat" like a mandolin in Bluegrass. Get plenny rhythm in Hawaiian music though, Jack calls the ukulele a 4 string drum kit.
I asked a friend about the prevalence of drums and synth-drums in todays music and he replied that most people aren't up for the intellectual challenge of the nuances of melody and harmony.
Go to Top of Page

keoladonaghy
Lokahi

257 Posts

Posted - 07/10/2007 :  1:06:36 PM  Show Profile
I love traps drums, and would love to hear more Hawaiian language material using them. I've remixed about 8 of the songs from Kenneth Makuakane's CD with traps drums courtesy Simon Phillips (Toto). We may eventually add other contemporary instrumentation to the songs and release them. Who knows. There is one sample on Nahenahe.net podcast #54. The very last song is a rough remix of Days Gone Bye with drum looks from Mick Fleetwood. That is one of the mellower remixes I've done ;-)

http://mauicast.net/nahenahe/?p=2485

KD
Go to Top of Page

Ray Sowders
Akahai

USA
96 Posts

Posted - 07/10/2007 :  2:11:03 PM  Show Profile  Visit Ray Sowders's Homepage
Most folks don't know that my first instrument is drums. I played for years all over Detroit and S.W. Michigan in a variety of music styles, and made my living that way just before I moved to Hawaii. I had to sell my drum kit a few years after moving here. Sometimes I can just kick myself, but it was something that just had to be done. Here in Hawaii, most "drummers" don't play the size drums that I needed in Detroit just to get gigs. (I called them toy drums) My floor tom was bigger then most guys kick drums! When I had people come over to take a look at my kit, when I was trying to sell them...they would have one look...and I'd watch their eyes get real big! Same question kept coming up..."what are those?"..I'd say REAL drums ha! For Hawaiian music, I would never say never. Some folks have used them in their recordings. I think it should be an individual thing, and must be used with taste or not at all. Sometimes it is a good thing to break some of the "rules" instead of just doing what everybody else does. All I know is I miss playing them from time to time. But, my neighbors don't miss them at all!

Ray
Go to Top of Page

wcerto
Ahonui

USA
5052 Posts

Posted - 07/10/2007 :  3:50:47 PM  Show Profile
Ray - you are the man of many talents! I don't remember if I told you how much we enjoyed your gig at Tiki's when we went O`ahu. We surely loved it! I could tell that the rest of the crowd there enjoyed it very much, as well. I am almost finished my scrapbooking pics of the scenery and stuff. Next I am going to work on all the music pics I took and put them in a separate album.

Keola - I really enjoyed Days Gone Bye. The drums were not obtrusive. They fit. And they didn't sound like synthesized stuff. And they weren't the same boring, repetitious beat over and over and over, ad naseum. Plus, I enjoy listening to your podcasts in the `olelo. I'm getting better at being able to understand the spoken word. For me, normal conversation is much harder because goes faster. Plus, it don't gots no "ha`ina". I was wracking my brain trying to figure out what Hawaiian word is "say-day". First of all, didn't know the "S" sound would have been there. I had to break down and read the translation. Hah! Languages are always evolving to account for modern times and emerging technologies.

Plus Hoku Zuttermeister was so good...such a sweet voice.

Anyhow, my whole point in this long missive, is that the drums went well and were appropriate in this mele. It is more contemporary of a tune, obviously, since it talks about the old times...Days Gone Bye.

Me ke aloha
Malama pono,
Wanda

Edited by - wcerto on 07/10/2007 3:51:44 PM
Go to Top of Page

Russell Letson
`Olu`olu

USA
504 Posts

Posted - 07/10/2007 :  8:47:25 PM  Show Profile  Visit Russell Letson's Homepage
Hah--just thought of another interesting example, Milt Holland's very restrained, very swinging brushwork (added in post-production, I believe) on the Gabby-Atta duet "How'd Ya Do" on the Gabby Band Vol. 2 album. As with the Waikiki arrangements, this is from the Hawaiian swing-pop tradition, where the drumkit is quite appropriate.
Go to Top of Page

Ray Sowders
Akahai

USA
96 Posts

Posted - 07/11/2007 :  11:21:27 AM  Show Profile  Visit Ray Sowders's Homepage
I almost forgot to mention a example of bad taste...did you remember the drummer on "I'll Remember You" by Kui Lee? He was playing so much rim in some sections that he sounded like the Budweiser horses galloping by. I'm surprised no body knocked him off his drum throne. I'd have been proud to! THAT is an example of what NOT to do. Many others come to mind but, I'm feeling gracious today...

Ray
Go to Top of Page

rendesvous1840
Ha`aha`a

USA
1055 Posts

Posted - 07/11/2007 :  11:49:48 AM  Show Profile
What we all want to know is: What's the Hawaiian version/equivalent of Innagoddadavita? And how long was the drum solo?Inquiring minds want to know.
Paul

"A master banjo player isn't the person who can pick the most notes.It's the person who can touch the most hearts." Patrick Costello
Go to Top of Page

thumbstruck
Ahonui

USA
2164 Posts

Posted - 07/11/2007 :  1:43:03 PM  Show Profile
To play back up is to play so that people won't notice you, but if you're not there, they notice the hole left by your absence. Salt on a pretzle.
Go to Top of Page

wcerto
Ahonui

USA
5052 Posts

Posted - 07/12/2007 :  03:39:36 AM  Show Profile
Lots of drums in Ken Makuakane's "Ku`u Home o Manoa". Keola - did you have anything to do with that? I've just rediscovered that mele on a compilation CD from Norwegian Cruise Lines that we bought when we first went hele Hawai`i.

Me ke aloha
Malama pono,
Wanda
Go to Top of Page

slipry1
Ha`aha`a

USA
1511 Posts

Posted - 07/12/2007 :  05:50:22 AM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by thumbstruck

To play back up is to play so that people won't notice you, but if you're not there, they notice the hole left by your absence. Salt on a pretzle.

That's part of "sideman consciousness" - be invisible until the leader says "take it" and then pop out of hyperspace, do your solo, and pop back into hyoperspace again. I love it!

keaka
Go to Top of Page

Retro
Ahonui

USA
2368 Posts

Posted - 07/12/2007 :  07:43:25 AM  Show Profile  Visit Retro's Homepage
Sidebar to thumbstruck & slipry1's points (and these guys know of what they speak...er, type) --- when playing for hula dancers, the band NEVER does anything that would draw attention away from the dancing. We've had a drummer play with us on occasion, and it worked fine. Experienced musicians know what works and what doesn't; it's not about knowing what to play - it's about knowing what NOT to play.
Go to Top of Page

wcerto
Ahonui

USA
5052 Posts

Posted - 07/12/2007 :  08:53:13 AM  Show Profile
I have often said that to understand the music of a culture, you've got to understand the dance(s). Hula...polka....salsa....clogging...

Me ke aloha
Malama pono,
Wanda
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.11 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000