Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Hawaiian Slack Key Guitar / Hawaiian Music
 Who is this playing with Gabby?
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

wcerto
Ahonui

USA
5052 Posts

Posted - 07/22/2007 :  08:07:06 AM  Show Profile
I have a picture here that Bla & Kathleen Pahinui found at an antique shop. It is a picture of Gabby playing with Barney and Alvin Isaacs, but we don't know who the third guy is. Does anyone recognize who is in this picture? Kathleen and Bla would be most appreciative for your kokua.

I am asking Andy to post it for me here on account of I do not know how to accomplish that magic.

Mahlao.
Wanda

Me ke aloha
Malama pono,
Wanda

wcerto
Ahonui

USA
5052 Posts

Posted - 07/22/2007 :  4:50:32 PM  Show Profile
Until Andy can post the picture for me, if anyone wants to e-mail me, I will send the picture to you as an e-mail attachment. How strange to have to buy a picture of your daddy from an antique shop.

Me ke aloha
Malama pono,
Wanda
Go to Top of Page

hwnmusiclives
`Olu`olu

USA
580 Posts

Posted - 07/24/2007 :  03:32:40 AM  Show Profile  Visit hwnmusiclives's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by wcerto

I have a picture here that Bla & Kathleen Pahinui found at an antique shop. It is a picture of Gabby playing with Barney and Alvin Isaacs, but we don't know who the third guy is. Does anyone recognize who is in this picture? Kathleen and Bla would be most appreciative for your kokua.

I am asking Andy to post it for me here on account of I do not know how to accomplish that magic.

Mahlao.
Wanda

That is, of course, falsetto legend George Kainapau. This is one incarnation of the group known as the "Royal Hawaiian Serenaders" who recorded on Bell Records. Sometimes the group had Tommy Castro on steel and a different bass player than Gabby. But as has always been the custom, Hawaiian musicians are "interchangeable" in that as long as they know the standards, they can play with any group and are willing to sit in with whomever needs them that night.

Join me for the history of Hawaiian music and its musicians at Ho`olohe Hou at www.hoolohehou.org.
Go to Top of Page

wcerto
Ahonui

USA
5052 Posts

Posted - 07/24/2007 :  06:37:28 AM  Show Profile
Bill - Mahalo for your kokua. Noeau and I had pretty much figured out it was George. I shall write to Bla and let him know.

Thanks again,
Wanda

Me ke aloha
Malama pono,
Wanda

Edited by - wcerto on 07/25/2007 04:22:02 AM
Go to Top of Page

wcerto
Ahonui

USA
5052 Posts

Posted - 07/24/2007 :  12:55:29 PM  Show Profile
Eh, Bill. You sure can sing pretty darn good! I love falsetto style singing and I surely do respect anyone who can do it, and especially those who do it well. Taro Patch folks might want to click on Bill's profile and look at his web page for listen to his music samples.

Once again, Bill, thanks for the kokua and thanks for sharing your music.

Me ke aloha
Malama pono,
Wanda
Go to Top of Page

noeau
Ha`aha`a

USA
1105 Posts

Posted - 07/25/2007 :  9:12:52 PM  Show Profile
Next time we jus' call Bill

No'eau, eia au he mea pa'ani wale nō.
Go to Top of Page

wcerto
Ahonui

USA
5052 Posts

Posted - 07/27/2007 :  04:29:44 AM  Show Profile
Bill & Al - Bla and Kathleen thank you for helping solve the mystery. The next mystery is if we can figure approximate time frame. Any guesses?

Me ke aloha
Malama pono,
Wanda
Go to Top of Page

hwnmusiclives
`Olu`olu

USA
580 Posts

Posted - 07/27/2007 :  04:53:00 AM  Show Profile  Visit hwnmusiclives's Homepage
quote:

Bill & Al - Bla and Kathleen thank you for helping solve the mystery. The next mystery is if we can figure approximate time frame. Any guesses?

Goodness! I feel like we've started the first Hawaiian music game show. Where's the cash? Where are the prizes? Where's Vanna? ;-)

My guess is circa. late 1940's. The group was not even formed until 1947 and debuted at the Royal Hawaiian Hotel on the 4th of July of that year. A Honolulu Advertiser article (http://the.honoluluadvertiser.com/150/sesq6isaacs) documents that son Barney Isaacs did not join his father's band until 1948. That was the heyday of the Royal Hawaiian Serenaders - when Bell Records was founded and the group was one of the first artists to record for the label.

Here is a link to a picture of another incarnation of the same group with its original member line-up:

http://historicphotoarchive.com/caps6/00586.html

According to the archivist, this picture is from 1947-48. AND before you ask, in addition to George (second from left) and Alvin (end right), the mystery musicians are Benny Kalama (upright bass, between George and Alvin) and Tommy Castro on the far left. Tommy Castro was an amazing steel guitarist. I recognize his face, and I suspect that he is simply holding a standard guitar in the photo because there just happened to be one around and because it gave the photo better balance. (Tommy played steel sitting down, and that probably wouldn't have made for quite as good a picture.)

Join me for the history of Hawaiian music and its musicians at Ho`olohe Hou at www.hoolohehou.org.
Go to Top of Page

wcerto
Ahonui

USA
5052 Posts

Posted - 07/27/2007 :  08:00:19 AM  Show Profile
Mahalo, Bill. You are a superb historian.

Eh - on that link to Falsetto contest, it has a picture of you and Gary Medeiros with Aunty Genoa. You two are both handsome gentlemen! I have one 25 yr-old intelligent and beautiful daughter. Get chance or wot? I think it is time for me to get my 2 girlies married off so can have grandchildren.

Thanks,
Wanda

Me ke aloha
Malama pono,
Wanda

Edited by - wcerto on 07/27/2007 08:12:41 AM
Go to Top of Page

slipry1
Ha`aha`a

USA
1511 Posts

Posted - 07/27/2007 :  09:01:03 AM  Show Profile
quote:

Eh - on that link to Falsetto contest, it has a picture of you and Gary Medeiros with Aunty Genoa. You two are both handsome gentlemen! I have one 25 yr-old intelligent and beautiful daughter. Get chance or wot? I think it is time for me to get my 2 girlies married off so can have grandchildren.

Thanks,
Wanda

If it's Gary, they better like Seattle!

keaka
Go to Top of Page

hwnmusiclives
`Olu`olu

USA
580 Posts

Posted - 07/27/2007 :  12:57:58 PM  Show Profile  Visit hwnmusiclives's Homepage
quote:

Thanks,
Wanda

If it's Bill, they better like New Jersey! ;-)

This sounds like a very nice arrangement - old-fashioned, but very nice. Does she like Hawaiian music? Does her mother mind that I am an old man? Really, Gary and I held our age very well. (Then, in my case at least, add plenty Grecian Formula). Gary and I joked about this when we met because we guessed each other's ages and we were both off by ten years. In other words, I am old enough to be your daughter's much older brother.

But I needed a laugh today. I now return to my pathetic single life... LOL

Go to Top of Page

wcerto
Ahonui

USA
5052 Posts

Posted - 07/27/2007 :  1:08:46 PM  Show Profile
Eh - she's got a degree from Kent State in Theater Technology...she is now traveling with Disney on Ice doiing costumes & makeup for "High School Musical on Ice". (whatever were they thinking????). Ex-Army reserves in psychological operations. Very well read, understands pono and aloha. Knows Pua Mana, Bruddah Iz's joke about the three ducks named bubbles. Can use "da kine" in a sentance; plays violin; loves to hear her daddy sing and play guitar; likes to go to Mountain Man rendezvous, dressed up like a pioneer woman and shots a black poweder gun (watch out -- she likes it better than an M-16). Has read various Hawaiian fiction such as Sshark Tales. Knows about Kalaupapa. Eats kalua pig. Can cook and sew. Has a very strong sense of social justice. Cute.

Drawbacks: student loans;

See...I figure someone who likes Hawaiian music gotta be good hearted and that is what kiind of man I want for my daughter. It hopefully is what she wants, too. Maybe she'll be coming to an area near you soon witht he show...she will start touring first of September going from Florida up the east coast, ending Mexico City around Feliz Navidad time, then all over God's creation toward the west.

Me ke aloha
Malama pono,
Wanda
Go to Top of Page

wcerto
Ahonui

USA
5052 Posts

Posted - 07/27/2007 :  1:14:40 PM  Show Profile
Bill - I am not sure about New Jersey, though. One time I had to go to a Dept. of Defense training class at Defense Supply Center Philadelphia when they were on the south side around 20th St. It was a Dress Uniforms class on what it takes to make and inspect military dress uniforms. We went on two field trips to New Jersey, one to a modern, computerized clothing factory where lasers cut the fabric; and one to a very typical "Sweat shop". It must have been the hottest day of the year, too. Mid 90's and so humid. We went to Vineland, NJ. The whole class went to lunch at a restaurant in Vineland. When I sat down, the waitress took our drink orders and I ordred iced tea. Boy, I sucked that tea down in a heartbeat and asked for a refill. She brought me another. Shortly thereafter, I needed another refill and asked the waitress just to bring us a pitcher of iced team since everyone was drinking and kept wanting refills. Lo and behold when I got my check, I had a charge of about $16.00 for iced tea. She charged me for every stinkin' refill of iced tea that I had, plus for the pitcher of iced tea which everyone else drank. I spoke to them about it and they would not change the bill. I was flabbergasted. Next morning in class, all my co-students brought me tea bags from their hotel rooms. Learned my lesson in New Jersey.

Me ke aloha
Malama pono,
Wanda
Go to Top of Page

hwnmusiclives
`Olu`olu

USA
580 Posts

Posted - 07/27/2007 :  1:26:02 PM  Show Profile  Visit hwnmusiclives's Homepage
quote:

We went on two field trips to New Jersey, one to a modern, computerized clothing factory where lasers cut the fabric; and one to a very typical "Sweat shop". It must have been the hottest day of the year, too. Mid 90's and so humid. We went to Vineland, NJ. The whole class went to lunch at a restaurant in Vineland. When I sat down, the waitress took our drink orders and I ordred iced tea. Boy, I sucked that tea down in a heartbeat and asked for a refill. She brought me another. Shortly thereafter, I needed another refill and asked the waitress just to bring us a pitcher of iced team since everyone was drinking and kept wanting refills. Lo and behold when I got my check, I had a charge of about $16.00 for iced tea. She charged me for every stinkin' refill of iced tea that I had, plus for the pitcher of iced tea which everyone else drank.

THIS is your memory of New Jersey, Wanda? Aue noho`i e! You must come back soon so that I can correct that.

What did you think of Philadelphia? That is my birthplace and my home until about five years ago...

And still no mention of age differences. I guess love of Hawaiian culture supercedes all other criteria. OK, then. Send the daughter. I'll be waiting at Newark Airport. NO! WAIT! Make it Philadelphia International. I will not subject your precious `ohana to the Garden State. ;-)

And here I need to give a gentle plug and an "aloha" to our host, Andy Wang - another great gentleman from New Jersey. (Andy, the taropatch.net servers aren't based in NJ, are they? I would hate to start getting charged by the character for these posts.) LOL

Go to Top of Page

wcerto
Ahonui

USA
5052 Posts

Posted - 07/27/2007 :  1:40:35 PM  Show Profile
Actually, I didn't think much of Philadelphia. I did have a good time on South St. A friend I used to work with in Cleveland moved to Philly and he took me out on the town while I was there on one trip. I am a driviing wuss. Philadelphia driving scared the living crap out of me. Hard to get on the freeway -- that Schuykill thing...nobody lets you get over to get on. Then, they put some exits on the lef tside...what's up with that? Then, there is Roosevelt Parkway. Yikes! I never saw a road with so many lanes of traffic. And then there are row houses. You have to share a wall with your neighbor. Bummer. And no front yards or backyards. My friend had 6 ft. of backyard, which he mowed with a pair of scissors. And it seemed every surface that could be painted with graffitti was.

Oh, but I did like those Philly cheese steak sandwiches and hot pretzels. People are firnedlier here in Cleveland when you want to get on a freeway.

Me ke aloha
Malama pono,
Wanda
Go to Top of Page

hwnmusiclives
`Olu`olu

USA
580 Posts

Posted - 07/27/2007 :  1:55:17 PM  Show Profile  Visit hwnmusiclives's Homepage
quote:

Actually, I didn't think much of Philadelphia. I did have a good time on South St. A friend I used to work with in Cleveland moved to Philly and he took me out on the town while I was there on one trip. I am a driviing wuss. Philadelphia driving scared the living crap out of me. Hard to get on the freeway -- that Schuykill thing...nobody lets you get over to get on. Then, they put some exits on the lef tside...what's up with that? Then, there is Roosevelt Parkway. Yikes! I never saw a road with so many lanes of traffic. And then there are row houses. You have to share a wall with your neighbor. Bummer. And no front yards or backyards. My friend had 6 ft. of backyard, which he mowed with a pair of scissors. And it seemed every surface that could be painted with graffitti was.

Why do you think I left? 8-)

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.14 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000