Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Hawaiian Slack Key Guitar / Hawaiian Music
 Who is this playing with Gabby?
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Admin
Pupule

USA
4551 Posts

Posted - 07/27/2007 :  6:01:01 PM  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage  Send Admin an AOL message  Send Admin an ICQ Message  Send Admin a Yahoo! Message
quote:
Originally posted by hwnmusiclives

And here I need to give a gentle plug and an "aloha" to our host, Andy Wang - another great gentleman from New Jersey. (Andy, the taropatch.net servers aren't based in NJ, are they? I would hate to start getting charged by the character for these posts.) LOL

Ha ha, you are safe. The server is in Arizona.

Wanda - I have never been to Vineland but will be happy to treat you to a bottomless glass of iced tea anytime. NJ has many beautiful spots. We just try to keep it a secret.

Andy
Go to Top of Page

Mika ele
Ha`aha`a

USA
1493 Posts

Posted - 07/29/2007 :  06:05:57 AM  Show Profile
Bill,
Thanks for your email.

E nana, e ho'olohe. E pa'a ka waha, e hana ka lima.
Go to Top of Page

Harry Soria
Aloha

USA
9 Posts

Posted - 07/29/2007 :  1:26:01 PM  Show Profile  Visit Harry Soria's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by hwnmusiclives

quote:
Originally posted by wcerto

Bill & Al - Bla and Kathleen thank you for helping solve the mystery. The next mystery is if we can figure approximate time frame. Any guesses?

Goodness! I feel like we've started the first Hawaiian music game show. Where's the cash? Where are the prizes? Where's Vanna? ;-)
My guess is circa. late 1940's. The group was not even formed until 1947 and debuted at the Royal Hawaiian Hotel on the 4th of July of that year. A Honolulu Advertiser article (http://the.honoluluadvertiser.com/150/sesq6isaacs) documents that son Barney Isaacs did not join his father's band until 1948. That was the heyday of the Royal Hawaiian Serenaders - when Bell Records was founded and the group was one of the first artists to record for the label.
Here is a link to a picture of another incarnation of the same group with its original member line-up:
http://historicphotoarchive.com/caps6/00586.html
According to the archivist, this picture is from 1947-48. AND before you ask, in addition to George (second from left) and Alvin (end right), the mystery musicians are Benny Kalama (upright bass, between George and Alvin) and Tommy Castro on the far left. Tommy Castro was an amazing steel guitarist. I recognize his face, and I suspect that he is simply holding a standard guitar in the photo because there just happened to be one around and because it gave the photo better balance. (Tommy played steel sitting down, and that probably wouldn't have made for quite as good a picture.)

Aloha:
Great photo! I am pleased with the interest shown for the Royal Hawaiian Serenaders, a delightful super group of Hawaiian music legends!
Here are some quick notes to assist in the discussion:
- Bell Records was founded by Bill & Alice Fredlund in 1944, before WWII came to a close. The 1st artist was Alice's dear friend, Bill Ali'iloa Lincoln. (for the history of Hawaii-based record labels, please refer to liner notes of "Pau Hana Party" [Hana Ola Records - Cord International]).
- Hawaii's first 'super group', Royal Hawaiian Serenaders, pulled stars from separate backgrounds, 3 of whom had toured the mainland US with Hawaiian bands (George with Ray Kinney & Lani McIntire, Tommy with Ray Kinney, and Alvin with Harry Owens. Benny was younger than the other 3, and had remained in Hawaii as part of Don McDiarmid's orchestra) (refer to liner notes of "Alfred Aholo Apaka, Hawaii's Golden Voice"[Hana Ola Records - Cord International]). They were all also Bell Records recording artists.
- Tommy Castro was replaced by Barney Isaacs in the middle of the group's run at the Royal Hawaiian Hotel. (Hence their name).
-Alvin shared with me when he appeared on my radio show in 1982 that the group received their pink slip from the hotel after a 4 year run on the same evening that he excitedly debuted their new composition, "My Island Love Song" (Bell Records LKS-375). The song is credited to "Kaleolani, Serenaders", meaning Alvin wrote the musc and lyrics but the group worked out the arrangement together.
However, Bell Records releases by the Royal Hawaiian Serenaders continued well into the LKS-500+ portion of the Bell Records catalog. It was not uncommon for groups to continue recording and working with a name originally created for the specific venue that they opened at.
- It was also not uncommon for groups to continue on with new members. Barney performed professionally with his father, using his middle name as his stage name, "Alvin Kalanikau", as his father used "Alvin Kaleolani".
- When George Kainapau left the group, Sonny Nichols was recruited to perform the 'high' falsetto part, in tandem with Benny's falsetto part, within the four part harmony style of the RHS.
- Regarding the great photo of Barney, George, Gabby, & Alvin: Their attire is suggestive of the Royal Hawaiian Serenaders look, but a different print all together. Gabby began his professional career as a bass player, and would occasionally take gigs as bass player, guitarist, or steel guitarist. (refer to liner notes of "Andy Cummings & his Hawaiian Serenaders [Hana Ola Records - Cord International]. Also, in the 1950s, Barney & Gabby were peers, performing together with Sterling Mossman at the Barefoot Bar at the Queen's Surf nightclub. Finally, the reasonable facsimilie backdrop painting of Diamond Head suggests a venue that may have been an "off shore", such as a mainland promotional tour (airlines, etc). Gabby was never an official member of the Royal Hawaiian Serenaders, but it was a common practice (and still is) for players to sub for each other for gig opportunities, and short term tours.
- Regarding the color photo of the original group refered to, another photo in that photo shoot features Lila Guerrero Replinger dancing hula. The shots appear to have been taken at the site of the Kodak Hula Show at that time, located near the Waikiki Natatorium. There was no available power to plug in a steel guitar, so the groups played acoustic instruments. It is highly probable that the group was there to guest perform, without electricity, and to promote their gig at the RHH with the Kodak Hula Show audience. The photo collection is identified as a Kodak shoot.
- Just prior to the formation of the Royal Hawaiian Serenaders, specifically to take the Royal Hawaiian Hotel gig, a similar group was recording on Bell Records, as "Alvin Kaleolani & his Royal Hawaiians". That quintet consisted of Alvin Kaleolani (Isaacs), George Kainpau, Tommy Castro, Benny Kalama, and "Steppy" DeRego. Refer to "Kuwili" (Bell Records LKS-262). Four of those members would ultimately take the RHH gig. Refer also to "Hula Mokulele E", (recorded by my father) on the "Territorial Airwaves" compact disc [Hana Ola Records - Cord International].
- For more information about the Royal Hawaiian Serenaders, check out www.territorialairwaves.com. You'll find their recording, "Na Pua O Hawaii" (Bell Records LKS-302) in its entirety, attributed to the entire original group. You also find voice messages by both Alvin Kaleolani Isaacs and Benny Kalama, when they each were interview guests on the Territorial Airwaves radio show. Finally, you can also hear, in its entirety, a one-of-a-kind recording "Manuela", featuring Alvin & Barney, recorded live on September 8, 1982, during Uncle Alvin's appearance on Territorial Airwaves.

Mahalo plenty,
Harry B.

Harry B. Soria, Jr.
Territorial Airwaves
Visit the Territory of Hawaii at:
www.territorialairwaves.com
Your Source for the History of Hawaiian Music
Go to Top of Page

wcerto
Ahonui

USA
5052 Posts

Posted - 07/29/2007 :  2:55:14 PM  Show Profile
Harry B. -- mahalo for all the information. Your web site has a wonderful and precious resource.

Mahalo nui loa,
Wanda

Me ke aloha
Malama pono,
Wanda
Go to Top of Page

guitarded
Ha`aha`a

USA
1799 Posts

Posted - 06/17/2008 :  11:43:53 AM  Show Profile
I just came across this back cover shot of Gabby's "Brown Album" and figured I'd post part of it here...

If my bifocals are working right, the labels are as follows:

Left column
James "Bla" Pahinui, guitar
Cyril Pahinui, guitar, bass, ukulele, banjo
Manuel "Joe Gang" Kupahu, bass

Middle column
Gabby and Ma Pahinui
Phillip "Gabby" Pahinui, 12 string guitar, steel guitar, vocals

Right column
Phillip Pahinui, guitar
Martin Pahinui, guitar, bass
Leland "Atta" Isaacs, guitar

Go to Top of Page

wcerto
Ahonui

USA
5052 Posts

Posted - 06/17/2008 :  1:07:55 PM  Show Profile
Love all the old pictures of da guyz. See how Bla looked then and how he looks now. He looks younger now.

Me ke aloha
Malama pono,
Wanda
Go to Top of Page

Bill Campbell
Akahai

USA
90 Posts

Posted - 06/18/2008 :  4:10:02 PM  Show Profile
Hey, guys, this is priceless!!!!!

quote:
Originally posted by guavasunrise

I just came across this back cover shot of Gabby's "Brown Album" and figured I'd post part of it here...

If my bifocals are working right, the labels are as follows:

Left column
James "Bla" Pahinui, guitar
Cyril Pahinui, guitar, bass, ukulele, banjo
Manuel "Joe Gang" Kupahu, bass

Middle column
Gabby and Ma Pahinui
Phillip "Gabby" Pahinui, 12 string guitar, steel guitar, vocals

Right column
Phillip Pahinui, guitar
Martin Pahinui, guitar, bass
Leland "Atta" Isaacs, guitar

Go to Top of Page

wcerto
Ahonui

USA
5052 Posts

Posted - 06/18/2008 :  4:59:24 PM  Show Profile
Here are some more Gabby mystery photos.

Picture #1 is Gabby with a very young Mike Ka`awa. You can see even then , he was playing 12-string.

Next two, we are not certain who except Gabby and Sonny. These pictures were given to Bla & Kathleen Pahinui by someone who found them in their garage. No one knows how they got there, but they were all stuck together and moly and mildewed and the color layer flaked off when they tried to separate the pictures. If anyone knows who the mystery person is, please let us know. Could that be Mike Ka`awa also???? Nah, they couldn't all be Mike because they appear to have been taken at the same time/place, Any opinions or guesses?

Me ke aloha
Malama pono,
Wanda
Go to Top of Page

Harry Smd
Aloha

USA
9 Posts

Posted - 06/26/2008 :  09:12:25 AM  Show Profile
You guys: manini kine true story 'bout Hawaii-metro northeast culture shock. My med school room-mate wen grad StJos'HS, Hilo, June 1961. 2 months later, he get aboard da plane Hilo side and when he lay his head on da pillow next nite he in.................da BRONX!!!Fordham Univ. 4 years later, he headed west......JerseyCity, for med school. So desperate was he(couldn't be any other reason)for the sounds of the islands that he began to teach abject haole me pidgin. Today, our ohana stretches fm Boston, thru HI, to Beiging and we email in pidgin near daily. Fear not the concrete canyons and their crowds&noise(like Honolulu w/o the ocean)Plenny aloha here still; thanks to people like Andy and places like one taropatch. malama pono; malama mele.
Go to Top of Page

Larry Miller
Akahai

USA
65 Posts

Posted - 06/28/2008 :  08:03:58 AM  Show Profile
I think this is related. I haven't looked at this movie for a long time, but in "From Here to Eternity", there's a scene in a night club (or bar?) where a Hawaiian band is playing. I could swear that Gabby was one of the guys. The sound track credits Danny Stewart and his Islanders. Does anybody know for sure if Gabby was in this group?

Mahalo

Larry Meelah
Go to Top of Page

Peter Medeiros
`Olu`olu

546 Posts

Posted - 06/28/2008 :  08:41:04 AM  Show Profile  Visit Peter Medeiros's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by wcerto

Here are some more Gabby mystery photos.

If anyone knows who the mystery person is, please let us know. Could that be Mike Ka`awa also???? Nah, they couldn't all be Mike because they appear to have been taken at the same time/place, Any opinions or guesses?
His name is Tony Bee and he played with Sonny for years. He is an incredibly gifted ukulele artist and funny guy.
Go to Top of Page

Larry Miller
Akahai

USA
65 Posts

Posted - 06/29/2008 :  06:32:54 AM  Show Profile
Tony Bee was in Don Ho's band when he was at Honey's in Kaneohe- ca 1963. He was one of the first guys I ever saw using an electric pickup on a Uke. And yes, he was a real virtuoso.
Also in the band were Gary Aiko, bass and vocals, another guy playing congas, and of course, Gabby. (and Don...)
I've always assumed that when Gabby joined the SOH and Don went to Duke's. Sonny kept Tony and Gary with him. It sure sounds like them on the Waimea Cowboy album.

I left Hawaii in '64 and sort of lost track after that.

Whee ha!

Larry M
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.14 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000