Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Talk Story
 Ono Grindz
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

da_joka
Lokahi

361 Posts

Posted - 07/22/2007 :  12:23:54 PM  Show Profile
Howzit? All dis talk about da Ukulele and slack key and Hawaiiana stuffs, makes me hungry. I was wondering wea you guys go fo ono grindz?

In da last 5 or 6 years, from not being able fo get one plate lunch, now get mo L&L's up hea on da mainland den in Hawaii! Get odda chains too now. Dey not da same, not as ono as back home but no can complain eh?

Up hea in Woodland, CA we get one Honolulu boy who wen open up one small okazuya called Ono Teriyaki. Da food is pretty ono dea!

I miss my Katsu Curry from Gracies (on O`ahu) and lemon chicken from L&L, but beggahs no can be choosers eh? Oh ya, no can foget da corned beef hash and eggs from Rainbows ... wat about dea Katsu wit gravy? ho ... mmmm.

If can, can. If no can, no can.

kihoalukid
Lokahi

USA
289 Posts

Posted - 07/22/2007 :  1:44:39 PM  Show Profile  Visit kihoalukid's Homepage
We have an L & L here in town, and a few other local style places. I miss Rainbow's, used to live 1/2 block away from that place.

Lee
Go to Top of Page

wcerto
Ahonui

USA
5052 Posts

Posted - 07/22/2007 :  4:39:38 PM  Show Profile
In Cleveland, I have to cook my own ono grinz, bending the recipes a bit to substitute what is available for what we cannot get. Very hard to make laulau. I have to steam them in banana leaves since ti plants are only baby houseplants around here. When I make kalua pua`a, I cook it in the crock pot, since we do not have stones around here except for sandstone, which cannot be used. I just rub a fatty bony big old chunk of pork shoulder with sea salt and liquid smoke. I put fresh baby spinach in the bottom of the crockpot put in the meat with maybe a wee bit garlic, ginger, shoyu and maybe some pineapple juice. Cook em all day in the crock pot and have two scoops rice, maybe some stir fried veggies and some haupia for dessert. I can now make my spam musubi the right way because I got a musubi press from Longs when we hele O`ahu. And Menpachi Man told me where I could get furikake.

Now I need a snack before bed.

Oh, I make a wonderful macadamia pie from the Sam Choy cookbook...kiind of like down home pecan pie but with macadamias instead. Broke da mout'.

Me ke aloha
Malama pono,
Wanda
Go to Top of Page

noeau
Ha`aha`a

USA
1105 Posts

Posted - 07/22/2007 :  4:54:48 PM  Show Profile
I had one entry but my server went crash. I was going say somthing like Wanda. Make your own and oh yeah now a days I no can eat rice and mac on the same plate anymore. But get plenny kine healthy stuff if you think it through. You can take us out of the country but well... you know the rest.
Where we stay can get lu'au leaf too so with a little he'e and coconut milk you can make 'ono squid lu'au. With some chicken and green onion and long rice mmmm broke the mout.

No'eau, eia au he mea pa'ani wale nō.

Edited by - noeau on 07/22/2007 4:58:58 PM
Go to Top of Page

slipry1
Ha`aha`a

USA
1511 Posts

Posted - 07/22/2007 :  6:44:52 PM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by noeau

I had one entry but my server went crash. I was going say somthing like Wanda. Make your own and oh yeah now a days I no can eat rice and mac on the same plate anymore. But get plenny kine healthy stuff if you think it through. You can take us out of the country but well... you know the rest.
Where we stay can get lu'au leaf too so with a little he'e and coconut milk you can make 'ono squid lu'au. With some chicken and green onion and long rice mmmm broke the mout.

Hey, Bra! Uijamaya in the international district here in Seattle flys in fresh Lau Lau on Wednesdays and Saturdays from Hawaii. Real luau leaf. They also have Zippys Portugee Bean Soup and other soups (chili, etc). I've heard that they can get luau leaf for you on special order (I haven't tried to do it, yet). Good jammin' yesterday, BTW. It's always great to see you and Mary Ann.

keaka
Go to Top of Page

Pua Kai
Ha`aha`a

USA
1007 Posts

Posted - 07/22/2007 :  10:28:48 PM  Show Profile
Come south Mistah Joka!
We have many "local" food places... Bob's Okizuya ohana, Braddah's, Teri-Hawaii; many more in Gardena. Back Home in Lahaina - manhattan beach and Carson. King's Hawaiian in Torrance - no longer in Hawaii, but all the good stuff right here! If you come down - I'll show you around and maybe find enough folks for kanikapila! And local food is made locally, not flown in.
n
Go to Top of Page

da_joka
Lokahi

361 Posts

Posted - 07/23/2007 :  04:33:44 AM  Show Profile
ho pua kai, sounds real ono! Maybe da nex time we go down to Gardena fo visit my Uncle, we gotta hook up fo some grindz and kanikapila eh?

shootz den!

Go to Top of Page

Pua Kai
Ha`aha`a

USA
1007 Posts

Posted - 07/23/2007 :  04:40:54 AM  Show Profile
You have one uncle in Gardena? Well then, you're all set! Be sure to come Friday night to Bob's for music and local food. They make lau lau right there and always have it. Everyone says they have the best poke too. (i don't eat fish). You'll be coming down more often now.
aloha!!
Go to Top of Page

`Ilio Nui
`Olu`olu

USA
826 Posts

Posted - 07/23/2007 :  05:42:47 AM  Show Profile
Santa Cruz is much closer. Gotta go to Maui Bruddah Timmy's Aloha Island Grille. Ono grinds like the old Azeka in Kehei. None betta!!!!!!!! Candi's in Hilo is ono, but this is da kine.

dog
Go to Top of Page

da_joka
Lokahi

361 Posts

Posted - 07/23/2007 :  05:58:13 AM  Show Profile
tanks fo da Santa Cruz grindz info! Ya, Candi's ... ho, dea bento's was so ono! Everytime we wen go school trips, dat was my lunch :-)

Go to Top of Page

ArtSap
Lokahi

USA
267 Posts

Posted - 07/23/2007 :  10:10:28 AM  Show Profile  Visit ArtSap's Homepage  Send ArtSap a Yahoo! Message
On Oahu, it used to be Masu's on Liliha but still go to Ono's on Kapahulu, Rainbow Drive-Inn on Kapahulu, Young's Fish Market on Kalani, Side Street Inn in Honolulu, En Fuego in Kapolei, Loco Moco Drive-Inn in Mililani, Mililani Restaurant in Mililani, Palisades Drive-Inn in Kailua - to name a few. In Hilo, it's Kuhio Grill for me. Oops, but you meant in Northern California - Da Hukilau restaurants, L&L Drive-Inn, Hawaiian Drive-Inn...

Art
SF Bay Area, CA / Mililani, HI
"The real music comes from within you - not from the instrument"

Edited by - ArtSap on 07/23/2007 10:32:20 AM
Go to Top of Page

Momi
Lokahi

402 Posts

Posted - 07/23/2007 :  11:19:47 AM  Show Profile
Whenever I meet someone from Hawai`i, the first things we ask are "wea you wen grad?" "wen you wen grad?" and "wea can get local grindz?"

Ever try ordering stuffs from home?

http://www.zippys.com/zippys/

I've never ordered Zippy's stuff through the mail because we can get some of da frozen stuff at Uwajimaya (see Slpry 1's post above). But they've always been very nice to deal with when I've gotten gift certificates sent to my Grandma.

Wholesale Unlimited: http://www.cybersnacks.net/

Likewise, we never ordered online because we stock up when we go home, and my mom sends care packages when we run low between trips. But the snacks are great.

I don't think she's a member on TP, but Selah Sue makes the most awesome laulau from ingridaments she gets on the mainland. I asked her where she got the luau leaf from, and she said it wasn't luau leaf, but she wouldn't tell me what it was. I have a sneaking suspicion, but I'd better ask her before I post my suspicion as truth.

We in the Seattle/Tacoma/Everett area are blessed with a number of local style restaurants - Bobby's in Everett, Kaua`i Family Restaurant in Georgetown, `Ohana Coffee Corner in Bothell, Ricky's Bar and Grill in Shoreline, at least two L&L's, North Shore Grill near Northgate, Hawai`i BBQ in the U-District, Saimin Says in Federal Way, Lei's in Duvall, Kona Kitchen (great kanikapila as well as grindz), and I'm sure there are more I'm forgetting. Okay, I'm making myself hungry.

Edited by - Momi on 07/23/2007 1:15:21 PM
Go to Top of Page

noeau
Ha`aha`a

USA
1105 Posts

Posted - 07/23/2007 :  11:37:40 AM  Show Profile
Just got an idea. Instead of a chili cookoff we should hold one Hawaii influenced kine foods cook in. No competition jus' food for every body to grind. We just gotta figgah wea goin be.

No'eau, eia au he mea pa'ani wale nō.
Go to Top of Page

wcerto
Ahonui

USA
5052 Posts

Posted - 07/23/2007 :  1:04:38 PM  Show Profile
I've perused this web site frequently but never ordered because the shipping costs are enormous shipping to Ohio. For west coast, it probably would be better.

http://www.1stluau.com/luauleaves.html

Paul just cooked me dinner...Ahi Tacos with Mango Salsa. Yum!

Wanda

Me ke aloha
Malama pono,
Wanda
Go to Top of Page

da_joka
Lokahi

361 Posts

Posted - 07/23/2007 :  3:10:32 PM  Show Profile
Ho ya, if any group goin throw one big pa`ina, dis is da one! Ono kine grindz & good music!

As fo da places fo grind, I was jus asking fo grindz wea eva you stay ... always good to know eh? At least wen we go someplace new, we know wea fo get good Hawaiian-style food. Looking at dis topic's been really making my opu rumble and crave all da kine stuffs we no can get ova hea ...

Go to Top of Page

rendesvous1840
Ha`aha`a

USA
1055 Posts

Posted - 07/23/2007 :  3:33:18 PM  Show Profile
In May,as Wanda and I were heading to Honolulu airport, we rode in a shuttle driven by aKama Aina who had spent a few years driving truck out of California. The shuttle was crowded so I was priveledged to sit up front with the driver. We talked about all sorts of mainland foods he'd had the chance to try, and missed now that he was home. He liked grits, shrimp gumbo, and several other ethnic delights. Just like me, going to Hawai'i and trying all the grinds I can't get at home. We can get sushi at our grocery store, a Japanese lady makes it fresh every day. She won't sell me Ahi to make poke, though. She doesn't stock it to sell, just enough for her sushi needs. I guess I can understand that. Nobody in my family will try any raw fish. Some of 'em won't eat cooked fish!
Paul

"A master banjo player isn't the person who can pick the most notes.It's the person who can touch the most hearts." Patrick Costello
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.11 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000