Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Hawaiian Slack Key Guitar / Hawaiian Music
 Help selecting a capo
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

rossasaurus
Lokahi

USA
306 Posts

Posted - 12/28/2002 :  3:44:05 PM  Show Profile  Send rossasaurus a Yahoo! Message
I've never owned or used a capo, but I'm ready now.

In the FQMS catalog there is a Kyser "Drop D" capo.

Is there any reason this one would be more useful, in slack-key, than a regular capo?

thanks,
Ross

Edited by - rossasaurus on 12/30/2002 7:43:25 PM

Russell Letson
`Olu`olu

USA
504 Posts

Posted - 12/28/2002 :  4:15:34 PM  Show Profile  Visit Russell Letson's Homepage
I couldn't find the Kyser on the FQMS site, but sounds like a capo that leaves the low E string open, so that when you capo at the second fret and play in D position (in standard tuning), you get a nice open root bass note. I call this "lazy man's drop-D" (even though it's really drop-E) and (as a very lazy man) use it quite a bit for Celtoid tunes.

But unless you plan to try to replicate Bla Pahinui's style (and you'd have to play left-handed and upside-down as well), you're better off with a regular capo. My favorites are the Shubbs, but this is a highly personal matter, right up there with whether you take 2-percent or full-fat foam in your caffe latte.
Go to Top of Page

cpatch
Ahonui

USA
2187 Posts

Posted - 12/28/2002 :  4:59:50 PM  Show Profile  Visit cpatch's Homepage  Send cpatch an AOL message
There is also a capo available (I'd have to look it up) that gives you complete control over which strings you capo and which are left open. If you're going to go with a flexible capo I'd go with this one since you can still use it to capo all six strings. But otherwise I'd also recommend the Shubbs.

Craig
My goal is to be able to play as well as people think I can.
Go to Top of Page

rossasaurus
Lokahi

USA
306 Posts

Posted - 12/28/2002 :  5:07:56 PM  Show Profile  Send rossasaurus a Yahoo! Message
Mahalo guys,

Exactly what I needed to know.
Yeah, it leaves the low E open.

I don't need to go fancy here; plain jane'll do me.

thanks,
Ross
Go to Top of Page

cmdrpiffle
`Olu`olu

USA
553 Posts

Posted - 12/28/2002 :  6:56:52 PM  Show Profile
A capo is a capo in spite of their advertising.

Shubb makes a sturdy one, as does Kyser.
You can use most any capo on from 2 to all 6 strings, just put it over the strings you want.

The spring opening Kyser is especially easy to use for this.

my Poodle is smarter than your honor student
Go to Top of Page

Russell Letson
`Olu`olu

USA
504 Posts

Posted - 12/28/2002 :  7:21:16 PM  Show Profile  Visit Russell Letson's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by cpatch

There is also a capo available (I'd have to look it up) that gives you complete control over which strings you capo and which are left open.

That would be the Third Hand, developed by ace picker Harvey Reid. Looks a lot like the old classic-elastic Bill Russell capo, except that what would otherwise be a single rubberoid cylinder is flattened on one side and sliced into six little cams, each one of can be turned to depress a string. Pretty ingenious.

Harvey has a nice backgrounder at http://www.thirdhandcapo.com/history.html, along with other capo trivia.

I edited the link so that the comma doesn't throw it off... -Admin
Go to Top of Page

rossasaurus
Lokahi

USA
306 Posts

Posted - 12/28/2002 :  7:25:21 PM  Show Profile  Send rossasaurus a Yahoo! Message
Shoulda known there'd be a capo website !

'saurus

Edited by - rossasaurus on 12/28/2002 7:26:45 PM
Go to Top of Page

cpatch
Ahonui

USA
2187 Posts

Posted - 12/28/2002 :  10:08:12 PM  Show Profile  Visit cpatch's Homepage  Send cpatch an AOL message
quote:
Originally posted by Russell Letson

That would be the Third Hand, developed by ace picker Harvey Reid. Looks a lot like the old classic-elastic Bill Russell capo, except that what would otherwise be a single rubberoid cylinder is flattened on one side and sliced into six little cams, each one of can be turned to depress a string. Pretty ingenious.
One potential use of this, depending on how the cams work, would be to capo the 1-4 strings at the fifth fret and turn the cams so they mute the 5 and 6 strings, thereby turning your guitar into a makeshift uke.

Craig
Go to Top of Page

cpatch
Ahonui

USA
2187 Posts

Posted - 12/28/2002 :  10:33:40 PM  Show Profile  Visit cpatch's Homepage  Send cpatch an AOL message
I can also recommend the Victor capo...a very cool design that lets you add and remove the capo with one hand:

http://fred-toni.home.mindspring.com/

Craig
Go to Top of Page

rossasaurus
Lokahi

USA
306 Posts

Posted - 12/29/2002 :  01:55:26 AM  Show Profile  Send rossasaurus a Yahoo! Message
CPatch, I can see you now with the world's only dreadnaught ukulele

Ross

Edited by - rossasaurus on 12/29/2002 01:58:37 AM
Go to Top of Page

cmdrpiffle
`Olu`olu

USA
553 Posts

Posted - 12/29/2002 :  04:17:43 AM  Show Profile
Russell, you rock!

I didnt know those things existed.
The link is however dead. Try this and follow the links from the site

Thanks Russ

http://www.thirdhandcapo.com

my Poodle is smarter than your honor student
Go to Top of Page

cpatch
Ahonui

USA
2187 Posts

Posted - 12/29/2002 :  5:49:33 PM  Show Profile  Visit cpatch's Homepage  Send cpatch an AOL message
Actually, the link itself isn't dead...the forum software made the comma at the end part of the link. Try this:

http://www.thirdhandcapo.com/history.html

Craig
Go to Top of Page

cpatch
Ahonui

USA
2187 Posts

Posted - 12/29/2002 :  6:27:02 PM  Show Profile  Visit cpatch's Homepage  Send cpatch an AOL message
quote:
Originally posted by rossasaurus

I can see you now with the world's only dreadnaught ukulele
That's right...from now on I'd like to be referred to as "the skinny guy with the big guitar"! (Big feet, big hands...big guitar. )

Craig
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.09 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000