Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Performance/Event Announcements & Reviews
 Kapena Delima on "Aloha Wavez" in SF
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Momi
Lokahi

402 Posts

Posted - 08/07/2007 :  7:18:07 PM  Show Profile
From Wayne Harada's column, Honolulu Advertiser, 7/17/07:

"Kapena DeLima, son of veteran trouper Kelly "Boy" DeLima of Kapena, the group, has taken on a new role - deejay - at the University of San Francisco. He is one of the volunteer jocks on the campus radio station's Hawaiian music show (must be a lot of expats there) and he's heard as Pena Bu, his on-air handle, on the "Aloha Wavez" show from 7:30 to 8:00 pm Mondays . . ."

The station appears to be KUSF, 90.3. N. Cal. TP'ers - please let us know what you think of this show.

hikabe
Lokahi

USA
358 Posts

Posted - 08/08/2007 :  12:13:14 PM  Show Profile  Visit hikabe's Homepage
I think that show used to be hosted by Sista Auie Remigio. I will give a listen to Derrick and Kapena next Monday and let you know how it compares.
Auie's show was great. It included a calender of Hawaiian related events in the bay area. She also played tunes that are popular in Hawaii as well as the mainland and she interviewed a guest in the studio who gave a live performance. The only problem is that it is too short a program. Two hours would be better.
ps...I hope I am spelling Auie's name correctly and I am not certain it was the same station. 'scuse eh...

bty
Kapena Delima(Pena Bu)is a wonderfully gifted young musician, a chip of the old block. So is his sister, Kalena, another fine musician. I hope Kapena plays and sings during the show. That would make me tune in every week. I love live performances on the radio.

Stay Tuned...
Go to Top of Page

kaniala5
Akahai

USA
65 Posts

Posted - 08/11/2007 :  07:38:40 AM  Show Profile  Send kaniala5 a Yahoo! Message
I remember driving by Kelly boys home on Windward side on my way to work in Haiku Valley or when I was headed to China Man's Hat to catch tako. Good times. :-) We shared some of the same stages in the 90's but I never got to jam with him or hang out. Glad to hear he is still out there.

Look for reasons to be happy rather than excuses to be miserable.
Go to Top of Page

hikabe
Lokahi

USA
358 Posts

Posted - 08/12/2007 :  12:12:12 PM  Show Profile  Visit hikabe's Homepage
My wife and I went to see the three of them at the Royal Hawaiian last year and Kellyboy invited me up for a song. I sang Hiilawe with the three backing up vocals. Then I got to paani with Kalena's 6 string uke, which was kind of weird and challenging. They graciously invited me to play 2 more songs. I was very impressed with son and daughter. I have always been in awe of their old man. The new "Kapena" is bringing a different sound then the past, and I love it.
I usually don't brag about my many exploits. But my wife and I were on our way to see Auntie Genoa that night and I performed with her and Momi and Paul and the gang on the same night. I had to paani on Auntie's 6 string, she was kind enough to lend me, and I already had some practice from the Royal Hawaiian experience. The next night, Jerry Santos invited me up for 4 songs at the Hilton Hawaiian Tower. The next day, I performed at the Waikiki uke fest. It was a banner week for me. Anyway, I pau brag.
Kaniala5... I sure miss diving for tako, cooking the catch in the wok on the beach, drinking beer and jamming. What group you was?

Stay Tuned...
Go to Top of Page

ArtSap
Lokahi

USA
267 Posts

Posted - 08/13/2007 :  10:23:46 AM  Show Profile  Visit ArtSap's Homepage  Send ArtSap a Yahoo! Message
Kapena DeLima is an outstanding all-around musician. He originally joined Kapena (the band) as a keyboardist but now plays drums (excellent, excellent technique). He also has a trio of his own now called "Kapena Unplugged" in which he plays electric bass. Check this young man out first chance you get...

Art
SF Bay Area, CA / Mililani, HI
"The real music comes from within you - not from the instrument"
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.11 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000