Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Performance/Event Announcements & Reviews
 Amy Hanaiali`i Gilliom in NYC
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

hwnmusiclives
`Olu`olu

USA
580 Posts

Posted - 08/08/2007 :  04:54:19 AM  Show Profile  Visit hwnmusiclives's Homepage
Amy announced on Kamasami Kong's podcast that she has just recorded an English-language CD of 40s/50s pop standards with Matt Catingub's orchestra and that they are debuting the tunes at Feinstein's at Loews Regency in NYC on four evenings - October 9-12.

See Feinstein's calendar of events and order tickets at:

http://www.feinsteinsattheregency.com/calendar.php?year=2007&month=10

Kong's interview with Amy was extremely enlightening. She reveals a very spiritual side and explains to the largely Japanese audience important aspects of Hawaiian culture. To hear the podcast, visit the Tokyo METPOD site at http://podcast.metropolis.co.jp/podcast/2007/08/02/metropolis-podcast-697/. Click on the "PLAY" button for "Part 2," let the program load, and then drag the red status indicator over to approx. 9:00 into the podcast to hear the 25-minute segment with Amy.

Join me for the history of Hawaiian music and its musicians at Ho`olohe Hou at www.hoolohehou.org.

Auntie Maria
Ha`aha`a

USA
1918 Posts

Posted - 08/08/2007 :  06:34:08 AM  Show Profile
This was interesting -- the gig was booked long before the CD was even being recorded. And to have Amy returning to her jazz roots, now that she's made a name for herself in the music industry, could propel her to worldwide fame in the jazz world.

Uiha!!!

Auntie Maria
===================
My "Aloha Kaua`i" radio show streams FREE online every Thu & Fri 7-9am (HST)
www.kkcr.org - Kaua`i Community Radio
"Like" Aloha Kauai on Facebook, for playlists and news/info about island music and musicians!

Go to Top of Page

Admin
Pupule

USA
4551 Posts

Posted - 08/08/2007 :  5:33:33 PM  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage  Send Admin an AOL message  Send Admin an ICQ Message  Send Admin a Yahoo! Message
Thanks for the link to the podcast. For you New Yorkers (and surrounding areas), I encourage you to visit www.halawai.org and sign up for the mailing list. The most recent email blast went out this week and included Amy's show info.

Full disclosure, I am involved with this organization and we have worked hard on compiling a comprehensive events calendar for upcoming Hawaiian events. If you know of any upcoming Hawai`i related events that do not appear on the calendar, please let me know. I urge to sign up for the email list too.

Andy
Go to Top of Page

markwitz
`Olu`olu

USA
841 Posts

Posted - 08/12/2007 :  07:20:25 AM  Show Profile
Last night my wife and I along with lots of familiar faces from the "Santa Cruz Ohana" took the short drive south to Carmel and saw Amy preform at "The Sunset Center". The evening started with solo Slack Key guitarist Jeff Peterson, who was new to me. He superbly played a number of songs the best of which I thought was Sonny's "Whee Ha swing". Jeff later joined Amy's backup band.

Then Amy took the stage. And I really mean "TOOK" the stage, her powerful flawless voice and her warm stage presence just commanded our attention and enjoyment. She had total control over us all, but none of us were complaining. To be commanded by Amy is a good thing!!

She took the time to talk story with the audience, paying homage to her Tutu and the Aunties in her life, that help mold her career. It is very comforting to know that we have people like Amy paying tribute to the past in Hawaiian Music but at the same time carrying it into the future with all of the new songs that she has written and preformed. A very special night that will always be remembered.

"The music of the Hawaiians, the most fascinating in the world, is still in my ears and
haunts me sleeping and waking."
Mark Twain

Edited by - markwitz on 08/12/2007 07:56:20 AM
Go to Top of Page

mike2jb
Lokahi

USA
213 Posts

Posted - 08/12/2007 :  08:26:10 AM  Show Profile
Just had to chime in and report that Amy was the featured performer at the 85th anniversary of the opening of the Castro Theater here in San Francisco on Friday night. It’s one of those giant old art deco movie palaces built before multiplexes—before talkies, even. Amy filled the place up with her fans, then filled it even further with her luscious voice and her warmth.

Jeff Peterson was there backing her up but unfortunately we did not get to hear him solo as the Santa Cruz folks did (rats!), because there was another opening act and lots of proclamations from politicians to be presented to the theater owners for the anniversary. I would rather have heard Jeff than the proclamations.

Anyone around these parts who missed her should know she’s coming back to perform at the State Fair in Sacramento on Sept.1. Her website has info: http://www.amyhanaialiigilliom.com
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.11 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000