Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Talk Story
 Hula danced to "Hawai`i Aloha"
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

wcerto
Ahonui

USA
5052 Posts

Posted - 08/08/2007 :  5:09:03 PM  Show Profile
A fine CD, Mele Hula Volume 2 has as the very last selection a beautiful rendition of Hawai`i Aloha. It is done by Bobo Brown (could he be perhaps another member of the illustrious Brown `ohana?).

I am wondering since I have not seen too many hulas danced, is this one danced to? I have never seen it danced. I have only seen that we all stand up and hold hands and sway to the music and sing with tears in our eyes.

Is it pono to dance to it? Seems to me (in my uneducated opinion) that certain songs would not be danced to, such as this one, Kaulana Na Pua, He Hawai`i Au, Kanaka Waiwai, I Ke Alo o Iesu, Aloha Oe, among others.

However, on the other hand, hula is meant to tell a story and these mele certainly have a story to tell. I wish I had a kumu hula here in Cleveland.

Me ke aloha
Malama pono,
Wanda

alika207
Ha`aha`a

USA
1260 Posts

Posted - 08/09/2007 :  10:47:35 AM  Show Profile  Visit alika207's Homepage  Send alika207 an AOL message  Click to see alika207's MSN Messenger address  Send alika207 a Yahoo! Message
quote:
Originally posted by wcerto

A fine CD, Mele Hula Volume 2 has as the very last selection a beautiful rendition of Hawai`i Aloha. It is done by Bobo Brown (could he be perhaps another member of the illustrious Brown `ohana?).

I am wondering since I have not seen too many hulas danced, is this one danced to? I have never seen it danced. I have only seen that we all stand up and hold hands and sway to the music and sing with tears in our eyes.

Is it pono to dance to it? Seems to me (in my uneducated opinion) that certain songs would not be danced to, such as this one, Kaulana Na Pua, He Hawai`i Au, Kanaka Waiwai, I Ke Alo o Iesu, Aloha Oe, among others.

However, on the other hand, hula is meant to tell a story and these mele certainly have a story to tell. I wish I had a kumu hula here in Cleveland.

Actually, I've seen "Kanaka Waiwai" and "Aloha 'Oe" danced to before. I have been told that "Hawai'i Aloha" has no accompanying hula though.

'Alika

He kehau ho'oma'ema'e ke aloha.

'Alika / Polinahe

Edited by - alika207 on 08/09/2007 10:49:43 AM
Go to Top of Page

Retro
Ahonui

USA
2368 Posts

Posted - 08/09/2007 :  11:34:14 AM  Show Profile  Visit Retro's Homepage
I know that a handful of respected kumu have choreographed "Kaulana Na Pua" in the past - but it's not a dance for general public consumption, since the subject is so powerful and it's a message that you don't want misunderstood.
Go to Top of Page

da_joka
Lokahi

361 Posts

Posted - 08/09/2007 :  3:27:11 PM  Show Profile
i'd love to see hula for kanaka wai wai, since it's about the "Rich Young Ruler" Bible story. I've always loved that song. Anyone know where that might be possible?

If can, can. If no can, no can.
Go to Top of Page

hawaiianmusiclover06
`Olu`olu

USA
562 Posts

Posted - 08/09/2007 :  6:03:51 PM  Show Profile  Visit hawaiianmusiclover06's Homepage  Send hawaiianmusiclover06 an AOL message  Click to see hawaiianmusiclover06's MSN Messenger address  Send hawaiianmusiclover06 a Yahoo! Message
I would like to see a hula danced to Kanaka Wai Wai too and also Ua Mau too.

Aloha Kakou, maluhia a me aloha mau loa (Hello everyone, peace and love forever)
Go to Top of Page

noeau
Ha`aha`a

USA
1105 Posts

Posted - 08/09/2007 :  9:09:51 PM  Show Profile
Composed by Lorenzo Lyons a hula would have been frowned on. It is the unofficial anthem of the Hawaiian people and therefore probably wouldn't be danced to in that context either.

No'eau, eia au he mea pa'ani wale nō.
Go to Top of Page

alika207
Ha`aha`a

USA
1260 Posts

Posted - 08/10/2007 :  04:44:00 AM  Show Profile  Visit alika207's Homepage  Send alika207 an AOL message  Click to see alika207's MSN Messenger address  Send alika207 a Yahoo! Message
The place where I saw "Kanaka Wai Wai" danced was at the Keiki Hula show at the Lahaina Cannery Mall one weekend.

'Alika / Polinahe
Go to Top of Page

alika207
Ha`aha`a

USA
1260 Posts

Posted - 08/11/2007 :  01:20:19 AM  Show Profile  Visit alika207's Homepage  Send alika207 an AOL message  Click to see alika207's MSN Messenger address  Send alika207 a Yahoo! Message
Speaking of "Hawai'i Aloha," I was on youtube yesterday and came across this video of a band performing live on Lei Day, which is also my birthday btw. There are two songs. The first is a Jawaiian song that I can't remember the title of, and the second is "Hawai'i Aloha" with everybody singing along, of course. What struck me about this particular version was that the keyboard player was playing on it. I think it's cool when piano is added to Hawaiian songs. Do you?

The link is http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S9M5406ELYk

'Alika / Polinahe
Go to Top of Page

wcerto
Ahonui

USA
5052 Posts

Posted - 08/11/2007 :  04:10:12 AM  Show Profile
When investigating the link that Alika posted above, I stumbled upon this You Tube video that shows Hawai`i Aloha being danced. It starts out as hula noho. It is indeed, reverently done. The blurb says it was a hula practic session. Do not know who the kumu is or how the dance got passed down.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LozpsOSNdnY&mode=related&search=

Me ke aloha
Malama pono,
Wanda
Go to Top of Page

alika207
Ha`aha`a

USA
1260 Posts

Posted - 08/11/2007 :  1:05:46 PM  Show Profile  Visit alika207's Homepage  Send alika207 an AOL message  Click to see alika207's MSN Messenger address  Send alika207 a Yahoo! Message
I saw that too. However, I think it's not a song that is commonly danced to though. Everybody follows the tradition of standing, holding hands, swaying, and singing along. Did you know I got to sing it in three different places on Maui with everybody? It was so much fun, and I felt loved.

'Alika / Polinahe
Go to Top of Page

wcerto
Ahonui

USA
5052 Posts

Posted - 08/31/2007 :  2:59:35 PM  Show Profile
Aloha e Hula Rider: Perhaps you would share your mana`o with us on this topic...primarily regarding songs that perhaps should not be danced. Are there any that should not be or is anything fair game if the kumu teaches it? It just seems to me that some mele are tantamount to "sacred" and being raised in southern Baptist traditions, it seems to be not quite pono. I am not saying anything is wrong, I am just saying by the way I was raised, it makes me feel uneasy about it. I think that is obvious to me that if it makes me feel uncomfortable, that at least I should not dance to those mele.

Me ke aloha
Malama pono,
Wanda
Go to Top of Page

Hula Rider
Lokahi

USA
215 Posts

Posted - 08/31/2007 :  3:32:56 PM  Show Profile  Visit Hula Rider's Homepage
quote:

Aloha e Hula Rider: Perhaps you would share your mana`o with us on this topic...primarily regarding songs that perhaps should not be danced. Are there any that should not be or is anything fair game if the kumu teaches it?

Yes, that is exactly correct. If it feels uncomfortable, that is your na`au telling you that you should not do it.

I was taught that certain mele and oli (songs and chants) are not to be danced, that they are more like pule (prayers). Songs that are in the category of stories are appropriate for dancing.

"Kanaka Waiwai" is a story, and so it is danced.

"Hawai`i Aloha," "Hawai`i Pono`i," "Mele Ai Pohaku" (Kaulana na Pua)are generally not danced, and my own kupuna would be shocked if I were to do so. I think they could almost be considered kahea - "calls," or "calls to action."

My kupuna were in disagrement over "Aloha `Oe," so you can see sometimes it is not an easy call. Some felt it showed disrespect to the Queen for us to dance it. Others said, "It's a sweet love story! Certainly it can be danced!" I personally think the reluctance to dance it came from its association with funeals, which actually upset the Queen, as she considered it a love story, not a song of farewell.

I'm not sure what to think of the video of na keiki dancing "Hawai`i Aloha." I only teach my haumana to sing it. But without knowing the kumu and his or her mana`o, it is hard to make any judgements. Sometimes there are special circumstances.

I was at a Hawaiian Arts conference once where there were experts in American Sign Language translating the proceedings for the deaf. I was entranced. Some of the motions were so like hula I could understand them - So, if there were deaf members in the audience, and you want them to be able to "sing" along, perhaps opening the song up to hula is good in that situation?

Every time I think I have an answer, I learn that I don't!

Iz, "Hawai`i Aloha": http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C_17vGYa81s&mode=related&search=
Go to Top of Page

wcerto
Ahonui

USA
5052 Posts

Posted - 08/31/2007 :  5:58:10 PM  Show Profile
Leilehua - mahalo nui loa for sharing your mana`o with us. I respect your teachings greatly. Thanks for your insights.

Me ke aloha
Malama pono,
Wanda
Go to Top of Page

Hula Rider
Lokahi

USA
215 Posts

Posted - 09/01/2007 :  08:13:09 AM  Show Profile  Visit Hula Rider's Homepage
quote:

Leilehua - mahalo nui loa for sharing your mana`o with us. I respect your teachings greatly. Thanks for your insights.

You are most welcome!

Now, on the other hand, my husband, equally trained as I, says, "They're songs, of course they can be danced to!"

So, I suppose it all depends on which school of thought you were trained in.

Malama pono,
Leilehua (Aunty Lele)
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.16 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000