Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Talk Story
 Meeting Forum Members
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 4

noeau
Ha`aha`a

USA
1105 Posts

Posted - 08/29/2007 :  08:09:28 AM  Show Profile
Hapakid was just at my house last night with Thumbstruck, Momi,and Retro. We had agreat time jamming and talking about instruments and recordings of other artists and friends.

I heartily recommend that we members make the attempt to meet each other as much as possible. It is really great to play with people that we only know virtually until we get face to face.
Hapakid is an accomplished player and we had a great time harmonizing on songs and trading little tricks and tidbits about music and stuff li'dat.

I hope to do more of it. Oh we had stew and rice with Manju for desert. If we don't play we can eat.

Maybe some of you others out there have similar experiences that you wouldn't mind sharing with us.

No'eau, eia au he mea pa'ani wale nō.

wcerto
Ahonui

USA
5052 Posts

Posted - 08/29/2007 :  08:54:59 AM  Show Profile
Well, then I need yunz to come to visit Cleveland. Got one spare bedroom; can cook like a son-of-a-gun; and a just all around friendly and hospitable. We can take you to the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame, to an Indians game (no, we don't do football, neither me nor Paul, don't like da Browns); to the beautiful Cleveland Art Museum; take you to Amish country, Steubenville, birthplace of Dean Martin; to the Maple Sugar house in Burton; to shoot black powder guns at Paul's gun club and on and on. Paul would like to go out and play, I'm sure.

Come on down.

And we may get to meet Nani and her hubby when we hele au Maryland.

Me ke aloha
Malama pono,
Wanda
Go to Top of Page

Momi
Lokahi

402 Posts

Posted - 08/29/2007 :  09:01:01 AM  Show Profile
beef stew on da stove . . .

Last night, we did it Island Style, except the island this time was Bainbridge! Got back late to Seattle, so I'm just barely awake this morning, but boy, was it worth it! Thanks for the hospitality, No`eau.
Go to Top of Page

thumbstruck
Ahonui

USA
2165 Posts

Posted - 08/29/2007 :  10:51:17 AM  Show Profile
I'm always not quite so tired after playing music. Had a great time, Al. Good fun and ono grinds. Good foa see Hapakid again. Eh, Jesse, drive safe!
I agree with Al, build da network, strengthen da network. Music is communication and interaction, not automation (eh, Russell, you get pen? PEN confon it!)
Go to Top of Page

thumbstruck
Ahonui

USA
2165 Posts

Posted - 08/29/2007 :  10:55:20 AM  Show Profile
Also, meeting the gang from Eugene, OR, at Kalama was a wonderful. It's good to know others that appreciate what you yourself hold dear.
Go to Top of Page

Retro
Ahonui

USA
2368 Posts

Posted - 08/29/2007 :  11:54:00 AM  Show Profile  Visit Retro's Homepage
Speaking of Kalama, it was nice to have an opportunity to link a few more people together. There were more TP'ers there than the ones we've mentioned thus far - several who just came to enjoy the event (yet I know they play music, too.) We're fortunate that we have a community here that we can keep building.
Go to Top of Page

MahinaM
Lokahi

USA
389 Posts

Posted - 08/29/2007 :  12:22:53 PM  Show Profile  Visit MahinaM's Homepage
It is always wonderful to meet and jam with fellow Taropatchers. This past weekend at Kalama was a great example of what can happen when a bunch of incrediblly talented and amazing folks get together. I can't begin to describe all the chicken-skin moments and "MMM's" (Magical Music Moments) I have experienced with those who I have met, and the tremendous support and comraderie there is amongst us. Mahalo Andy, for creating such a great place as a vehicle to share our love for this music and finding others who open their hearts and exchange ideas, thoughts, and some mean guitar and uke licks. Above all, thanks to everyone out there who has made my life so much richer by knowing and playing with you.

So, when's the next gathering??? - Maggie

P.S. - Jesse, I'm bummed I missed you this time, but hope you had a good visit!
Go to Top of Page

kaniala5
Akahai

USA
65 Posts

Posted - 08/29/2007 :  1:30:56 PM  Show Profile  Send kaniala5 a Yahoo! Message
I am going to have some laulau and poi tonight after work. And I will get to meet some of you from the lo'i (taro patch) this Labor Day Weekend at Nancy's in Manhattan Beach. This forum is awesome to belong to.

Look for reasons to be happy rather than excuses to be miserable.
Go to Top of Page

LovinLK
Lokahi

USA
112 Posts

Posted - 08/29/2007 :  9:36:16 PM  Show Profile  Visit LovinLK's Homepage  Send LovinLK a Yahoo! Message
So who's in the Chicago area?

Lovin' Lee is my favorite pasttime!!

Go to Top of Page

NANI
Lokahi

USA
292 Posts

Posted - 08/30/2007 :  04:08:10 AM  Show Profile  Visit NANI's Homepage
Hey Wanda really looking Forward to meeting you guys in MD.

If anyone is ever coming down to the Delaware Beaches (Live real close to Rehoboth Beach) make sure to give me a holler. I have one GREAT backyard for sitting and playing. I love to cook and any excuse is appreciated now that the kids are grown and gone. I am crazy enough to be growing Bananas here in Delaware just so I have leaves to steam stuff in. No can grow tarosorry.
I am still a beginner at playing but love to listen and try to make nice noise.

"A hui hou kakou, malama pono".
Nancy
Go to Top of Page

hapakid
Luna Ho`omalu

USA
1533 Posts

Posted - 08/30/2007 :  05:33:41 AM  Show Profile  Visit hapakid's Homepage
Mahalo to Noeau for his hospitality this week and to Retro, Momi and Thumbstruck for travelling over an hour to make an outstanding jam Tuesday evening. We were overlooking the waters of Puget Sound and working the taropatch tuning, so it was heavenly. On top of that, da beef stew! Even Noeau's neighbors came over to listen to us. An audience makes everything better.
I drove two hours to the jam session, but it was well worth it.
I will try to post some video from the event so everyone can see Thumbstruck's incredible playing and hear Noeau's wonderful singing.
Jesse Tinsley

Go to Top of Page

Momi
Lokahi

402 Posts

Posted - 08/30/2007 :  06:06:04 AM  Show Profile
Ho, Ed, and da stew was mea ono too! But even tastier was hearing Hapakid do "Pali O Ka Moa" in person. (For the past day, I've had that song, No`eau's version of "Maunaloa," and Thumbstruck's "Nupepa Slack Key" playing in my mental jukebox.) HK and No`eau, in particular, sounded like they've been playing together for years. Us guys had only good fun!

Edited by - Momi on 08/30/2007 06:13:22 AM
Go to Top of Page

noeau
Ha`aha`a

USA
1105 Posts

Posted - 08/30/2007 :  09:28:13 AM  Show Profile
I just want to thank erry one was dea. The music was hu ka good. I was doing stuff that I forgot about. HK's style was just conducive to the times I had as a kid and would sing softly to not get scolding from the older people for jamming up the song. The DNA never forgets. My fingers was flying mistakes and all sounded good cause we started and ended together main t'ing. Sometimes things click and like magic a super session happens. I kept telling HK to move back to Seattle area. as it is he is only 6hrs away by auto.
I jus got a flash in my brain anybody like make one committee for plan one convention of TPers. We make one super jam and get to meet each other. Small kine we jus rent Safeco field or somting.

Go to Top of Page

wcerto
Ahonui

USA
5052 Posts

Posted - 08/30/2007 :  10:30:30 AM  Show Profile
Al - I think one convention is a swell idea. After I retire I can devote some time to it, planning and organizing, (at which I am pretty good and experienced). I say we go Nevada, maybe Henderson area where Don Narup and Gary Haleamau stay. Can always get cheap hotels in Las Vegas area, they are always offering me free rooms and such.

Although I have never been to California except for airport changing planes in LA. Never been to Pacific Northwest, either.

Or we could coordinate our trip to the islands...it was serendipty last time that GUke and Fran Guidry and Mika ele and dem were O`ahu when we were there.

Paul has to set his vacation time for the whole year, I think in January, so if we want to do something that requires travel, we would need to decide by January.

Or yunz could come Cleveland in February or March when the hula hui has their annual fund raising and workshop. Last year we had Mapuana DeSilva and Kihei DeSilva and Amy Stillman and Ale`a. Year before we had Keali`i Reichel and Puakea Nogelmeier.

Oh, I think you had a grand idea and now I am excited.

Me ke aloha
Malama pono,
Wanda
Go to Top of Page

noeau
Ha`aha`a

USA
1105 Posts

Posted - 08/30/2007 :  11:25:28 AM  Show Profile
I imagine where we can organize workshops and maybe performances by those who want to. There may be contractual stuff with recording artists but all I can envision is every one on some sort of regular person status where the stars come out of the sky and the regular guys come out of the walls and we all act as equals in music. Plenty kine potential for make friends and spread the aloha of the music of Hawai'i.

Go to Top of Page

Lawrence
Ha`aha`a

USA
1597 Posts

Posted - 08/30/2007 :  12:03:26 PM  Show Profile
quote:
I imagine where we can organize workshops and maybe performances by those who want to. There may be contractual stuff with recording artists but all I can envision is every one on some sort of regular person status where the stars come out of the sky and the regular guys come out of the walls and we all act as equals in music. Plenty kine potential for make friends and spread the aloha of the music of Hawai'i.
Well... you just pretty accurately described the kanikapila's that have been happening for the last ten years every evening at George Kahumoku's annual workshops on Maui. Everyone who wants to can play along with the "pros" taking turns in a round robin arrangement. George strongly encourages even beginners to take a turn at leading a mele. The last couple of nights are so busy that not all can take a turn, but on nights earlier in the week there is lots of time for anyone to take chance. George also tries, as much as possible during these kanikapila's, to treat everyone the same and on a equal footing as the professionals, even if they cannot play or sing very well.

Mahope Kākou...
...El Lorenzo de Ondas Sonoras
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 4 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.09 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000