Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Talk Story
 Meeting Forum Members
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 4

wcerto
Ahonui

USA
5052 Posts

Posted - 08/30/2007 :  12:37:56 PM  Show Profile
George sounds like an all around swell, nice guy. No shame play guitar/`ukulele/steel/sing/hula. Everyone has to start somewhere -- at the beginning.

Me ke aloha
Malama pono,
Wanda
Go to Top of Page

alika207
Ha`aha`a

USA
1260 Posts

Posted - 08/30/2007 :  1:26:26 PM  Show Profile  Visit alika207's Homepage  Send alika207 an AOL message  Click to see alika207's MSN Messenger address  Send alika207 a Yahoo! Message
Aloha kakou, I just wanted to say that I wish I lived closer to you all. I'd love to meet each and every one of you. I'm so excited because Andy will be at the Makaha Sons concert and hope I can introduce myself.

A hui hou,
'Alika

He kehau ho'oma'ema'e ke aloha.

'Alika / Polinahe
Go to Top of Page

Lawrence
Ha`aha`a

USA
1597 Posts

Posted - 08/30/2007 :  1:30:42 PM  Show Profile

quote:
George sounds like an all around swell, nice guy.
Sure, but everyone has their good side and their bad side. For instance, George can be quite stubborn sometimes (and he admits it), but he does have an egalitarian outlook (most of the time).

Mahope Kākou...
...El Lorenzo de Ondas Sonoras
Go to Top of Page

Mark
Ha`aha`a

USA
1628 Posts

Posted - 08/30/2007 :  2:16:53 PM  Show Profile  Visit Mark's Homepage
Lawrence is dead on in suggesting that opprtunities for a "convention" already exist courtesy of George's Maui Camp, Keoki's Hawaiian Camp, Led's Oahu and the Aloha Music Camp. Great way to meet people, woodshed your chops, and soak up the culture. I seem to remember somewhere along the way that Andy got the idea for TaroPatch at one of the camps.

I should also point out that there are regularly sheduled get togthers in Northern and Southern California and Seattle as well as Waiehu on Maui -- any of which are thrilled to host out of town folks. OK, so its a west coast bias... but that's just because that's what I can name off the top of my head. There must be some kinda amazing regualr scene in NY, cuz they sure got great singers!

Of course, if someone wants to create something new -- go ahead. Fun is more fun when it's shared.
Go to Top of Page

Pua Kai
Ha`aha`a

USA
1007 Posts

Posted - 08/30/2007 :  4:40:12 PM  Show Profile
If you come, we WILL kanikapila! It was such a treasure - er pleasure too - to have Hapakid here. He knows, plays and sings an unbelievable number of songs... beautifully!!! So have the others from around the 'patch... When are we going to see/hear Kiwini again? What's happened to Gramps? Karl Monetti?? ANNDEEEEE - time to come back to SoCal!!! OK - so some day I'll be able to play ki ho'alu too.....
I can't wait for Sunday to roll around and Kaniela to roll on down!!
aloha all,
n
Go to Top of Page

Reid
Ha`aha`a

Andorra
1526 Posts

Posted - 08/31/2007 :  12:45:10 AM  Show Profile
Mark, there are a few great players to go along with those great singers on the Right Coast. There are even a few great singers who are great players. Also, a couple of great dancers. Moreover, some of them never post here, and a couple guys (yes, more than one) play steel, and lots play `uke. And they are meeting, for the 3rd time this year, at Andy's and Lynette's in the Wilds of New Jersey. Oh yeah, more food than they can eat.

(Sorry, I blew your cover, Andy. At least I didn't tell Robert Novak first.)

...Reid
Go to Top of Page

thumbstruck
Ahonui

USA
2165 Posts

Posted - 08/31/2007 :  03:59:37 AM  Show Profile
Is Al / Noeau gonna make da beef stew?
Go to Top of Page

Claudia
Lokahi

USA
152 Posts

Posted - 08/31/2007 :  3:06:09 PM  Show Profile
Thank you Mark , for your compliments about the New York posse at Aloha Music Camp! You are right on about all the music camps - I am still reeling from the incredible experiences I had at AMC in June - meeting and playing with so many of the TP 'ohana.
Go to Top of Page

noeau
Ha`aha`a

USA
1105 Posts

Posted - 08/31/2007 :  3:21:13 PM  Show Profile
Stew and rice is awful nice. Better when get poi and poke with onions and salt. I guess we don't need one convention we just go where we need to pay money and sit around where the pros tell us what for do. If any body comes to Seattle area my hale is open for jammin any time and its free. Thanks for the input everybody. Got to go now.

No'eau, eia au he mea pa'ani wale nō.

Edited by - noeau on 08/31/2007 3:21:48 PM
Go to Top of Page

Lawrence
Ha`aha`a

USA
1597 Posts

Posted - 08/31/2007 :  4:36:35 PM  Show Profile
quote:
I guess we don't need one convention we just go where we need to pay money and sit around where the pros tell us what for do. If any body comes to Seattle area my hale is open for jammin any time and its free. Thanks for the input everybody. Got to go now.
Actually, none of the "Pros" EVER told me what to do!!

However, I understand your concern about the cost. But, really, compared to what you might actually spend if you went to Hawaii on vacation, the Camps are not that much as they also include some of the costs you would be spending anyway (such as meals).

If you had joined Taropatch earlier you may recall that there indeed was "a convention" that was proposed (and did occur) in the past. This convention was in Las Vegas (kind-of-a-central-spot, but Denver would have been more central IMHO), and proposed by our own Ianui. A bunch of folks DID show up, but not a whole lot, because (guess what), the expense of flying there and renting places to stay, ant taking the time off, etc, etc., was probably a little too much for some folks. I did not go because of no time, money was not an issue.

And are you prepared to give FREE accomdation for 50 minimum or maybe more like 200 people at your place for 2 to 3 days ? Wow- what a deal!! (You did say "convention" did'nt you)

If still remains a nice idea, but for folks travelling some distance there is considerable cost in either time or money or both (since Einstein proved that TIME=MONEY)

Regional gatherings usually work out better for this reason. (but you did not say this was a limited offer)

I personally still would like to see a BIG gathering in Denver some day (and I have met 2 or 3 Taropatchers who live in that area).

So will you (Noeau) sign up (and actually go) to Denver for a LONG WEEKEND??

On the other hand, if you are willing to guarantee accomodations and food (for however many may show up - as you just did) I am certainly willing to show up for such a convention. Remember, most folks would not be willing to spend all that time flying (from Germany or New Jersey for instance) to just have one afternoon of music, so it would have to be a three day convention as a minimum. Next summer on BainBridge island would be excellent for the whole passel of us!! (and I would certainly look forward to seeing the place).

Mahope Kākou...

Edited by - Lawrence on 08/31/2007 5:12:53 PM
Go to Top of Page

noeau
Ha`aha`a

USA
1105 Posts

Posted - 08/31/2007 :  8:34:45 PM  Show Profile
Yeah you so right. I was on ly thinking out loud and being a keiki o ka 'aina i don't need to be told about how to go to Hawai'i. With all due respect I was just having fun with my mind. So you all don't need to make me feel like like i stupid or something. Guitar camps are a totally different animal from what I was thinking about so just forget I mentioned it. Since I get the felling that that it was a bad idea from the reaction of some of you. My original post did not suggest you all come to Bainbridge so Denver is cool my mother was from there. And Lawrence you don't gotta go anywhere especially Bainbridge.

No'eau, eia au he mea pa'ani wale nō.

Edited by - noeau on 08/31/2007 8:42:05 PM
Go to Top of Page

Lawrence
Ha`aha`a

USA
1597 Posts

Posted - 08/31/2007 :  9:12:37 PM  Show Profile
quote:
My original post did not suggest you all come to Bainbridge so Denver is cool my mother was from there. And Lawrence you don't gotta go anywhere especially Bainbridge.
Seriously, I would be happy to go to Bainbridge (I have come up to (not too far away) Seattle/Redmond many times). The kind of gathering you mention is been desired by many folks here for long time. The closest we have been able to achieve is some of the gatherings at (or around) some of these workshops. The largest gathering I know of (outside of a workshop) was about 30 people who met at the Maui Slack Key festival "in between" two of the workshops mentioned above, most of whom also went to the Blue Marlin restaurant for an open mike and dinner afterwards. However, except for Don Kaulia, who helped us host the event, there were not any "pros descending from heaven", on that occaision.

You are welcome to join us there, or anywhere else, for that matter.

And you are welcome to keep dreaming of the "perfect situation" too!!

Mahope Kākou...

Edited by - Lawrence on 09/01/2007 06:21:44 AM
Go to Top of Page

wcerto
Ahonui

USA
5052 Posts

Posted - 09/01/2007 :  01:18:06 AM  Show Profile
There is never a way we could get this whole community together. First of all, it is HUGE. Second of all schedules. Third of all $$$$. So what? Just like anything else, if can, can. If no can, no can. What Al suggested, to me, sounded like a wonderful way to get folks together without the formality of a workshop, perhaps a bit more financially frirendly and as he said, a great way to share aloha. I still like the idea and as I said, after October, I can spend time working the issue. I can scope out potential locations and estimate potential costs. I can work the logistics issue of lodging, meals, place to meet and play, etc. That's why I thought maybe in conjunction with our Northcoast Hula Workshop. Michelle Malie Taylor honchos this and does massive planning and organizing, but negotiates good rates with the hotel, is a maestro at getting folks to and from the airport, and puts on a fantastic lu`au and ho`ike. Paul and I have always wanted to get a kanikapila going, but to no avail, just for lack of trying.

But as I said earlier, we don't mind travelling elsewhere, either. I think if Al didn't get the warm feeling for folks here, he would not have suggested it. I am glad he feels the comeraderie and I like it.

Me ke aloha
Malama pono,
Wanda
Go to Top of Page

Momi
Lokahi

402 Posts

Posted - 09/01/2007 :  06:25:40 AM  Show Profile
I think No`eau was proposing what he was proposing in the spirit of sharing. Let us please take it as such. Jesse and Al had never met before, but because they share a common love of Hawaiian music, they forged an instant connection. That motivated Al to reach to others with the same idea of sharing, but on a larger scale.
Go to Top of Page

Reid
Ha`aha`a

Andorra
1526 Posts

Posted - 09/01/2007 :  08:05:27 AM  Show Profile
Maybe the neurophysiology of that instant emotional connection made your fingers propose that in the posting Al.

...Reid
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 4 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.11 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000