Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Talk Story
 Meeting Forum Members
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 4

Lawrence
Ha`aha`a

USA
1597 Posts

Posted - 09/01/2007 :  08:11:48 AM  Show Profile

What I don't understand is Al's apparent strong hostility to the idea of folks getting together at workshops. The folks who put together most of these workshops are doing many of us a great favor. I know, for instance, that George Kahumoku's Maui Workshop hardly breaks-even each year, and indeed, some years goes in-the-hole.

Al also suggested that it would be good for the "pros" to show up too. There are not going to be many pros who show up (and also fly across the ocean), at their own expense.

Maybe the use of the word "convention" was mis-indended. There is a big difference between a few folks droppng by for an afternoon and a "convention". Getting together outside of workshops is fine, but can become just as expensive, if there is lots of time and distance involved.

That is why I said that regional events usually work out better. For instance and there are several regional events in the bay area here on a regular basis. The folks who come are generally within a few hours driving distance, except for some retired folks who have more time for travel. Likewise Seattle has the ongong "experiment".

Jesse Tinsley and I (and others) have worked together on aloha projects for Taropatch, as well as for George's Workshop, so Al could learn something about TaroPatch.com history (and the history of some of these Workshops) from Jesse, perhaps, and he would not feel so hostile.

Mahope Kākou...
...El Lorenzo de Ondas Sonoras

Edited by - Lawrence on 09/01/2007 08:18:53 AM
Go to Top of Page

noeau
Ha`aha`a

USA
1105 Posts

Posted - 09/01/2007 :  08:23:24 AM  Show Profile
There is only the hostility that Lawrence reads into it . To imply that that I should host host 200 people at my house is viewed as a personal attack and an affront to my offering of a place to visit if they ,anyone is in town. Guitar workshops are cool I just don't think that Lawrence should hawk them on this thread. I suggested an idea for a super jam and possible venue for workshops b y anyone who wants to do it. No money making on my part nor on the part of anyone attending. It costs money to do anything but to imply everybody go to Hawai'i for a guitar camp is ludicrous. Then to do what he did in the tone he did gets m y dander up. Maybe Lawrence didn't mean to do what he did but one can inform without treating the recipient like an ignorant fool. He also could have used the private channel and discussed it in a civil manner. As it is He comes across to me as a know it all.
However, having said that, if I have trampled on Lawrence's feelings in any way I publicly apologize here and now in public.

No'eau, eia au he mea pa'ani wale nō.

Edited by - noeau on 09/01/2007 08:40:47 AM
Go to Top of Page

Lawrence
Ha`aha`a

USA
1597 Posts

Posted - 09/01/2007 :  08:23:35 AM  Show Profile
What I don't understand is Al's apparent strong hostility to the idea of folks getting together at workshops. The folks who put together most of these workshops are doing many of us a great favor. I know, for instance, that George Kahumoku's Maui Workshop hardly breaks-even each year, and indeed, some years goes in-the-hole.

Al also suggested that it would be good for the "pros" to show up too. There are not going to be many pros who show up (and also fly across the ocean), at their own expense.

Maybe the use of the word "convention" was mis-indended. There is a big difference between a few folks droppng by for an afternoon and a "convention". Getting together outside of workshops is fine, but can become just as expensive.

Jesse Tinsley and I (and others) have worked together on aloha projects for Taropatch, as well as for George's Workshop, so Al could learn something about TaroPatch.com history (and the history of some of these Workshops) from Jesse, perhaps.

Mahope Kākou...
Go to Top of Page

Lawrence
Ha`aha`a

USA
1597 Posts

Posted - 09/01/2007 :  08:41:49 AM  Show Profile
quote:
As it is He comes across to me as a know it all.
Well, I sure I do not know the olelo like you do!!

But, as the first poster on TaroPatch (besides Andy), and having gone to some of these workshops for Ten years, I do know the history of Taropatch and some Workshops better than most. I go to the Workshops as a student and I pay the full fees, so there is not "Hawking" from my standpoint, since I have no financial gain. I do consider some of these guys (like George) to be my friends and so will say good things about them and what they are doing.

Perhaps, I read more into your exaggerated tone (like use of the word convention) than you intended, and you perhaps read more into my tone than was intended (That's why I put the smiley's after the 200 people statement! - and that is why smiley's were invented, too)

Talk to Jesse and you will find that I am not a bad person, and I will also assume that if you and Jesse are friends, that you are not a bad person either!

So Ho'oponopono then?

Mahope Kākou...
Go to Top of Page

noeau
Ha`aha`a

USA
1105 Posts

Posted - 09/01/2007 :  08:56:03 AM  Show Profile
Of course! WE only should be friends o hea! I jus wen get huhu at your tone or what I perceived as an attack. We got off on the wrong foot and by all means talk up your friends. You coulda been a little more diplomatic at first. So it h2o under the bridge then?

Go to Top of Page

Mark
Ha`aha`a

USA
1628 Posts

Posted - 09/01/2007 :  09:01:54 AM  Show Profile  Visit Mark's Homepage
Yo ho -

Ah yes, the wonders of instaneous mis-communication!

Let's all play nice now!

As perhaps the one who helped make this a big mess, I agree that meeting informally is a great thing and that maybe I should not have put in a plug for the camps. Though, to be honest -- flying to Vegas or Denver for the weekend ain't in the cards for this guitar player.

In spite of that, I'm a jamming fool. As Al knows (heck, I think he even knows what I like for breakfast, courtesy of the Kona Kitchen's "jam with the spam" when I'm up Washington way...)

And guess what -- Al's coming to Aloha Camp in Feb. So all you TPers who want to meet and greet, here's your chance. (OK, another blatant plug. Hey, it's my job. )

Go to Top of Page

thumbstruck
Ahonui

USA
2165 Posts

Posted - 09/01/2007 :  09:42:08 AM  Show Profile
As far as workshops go, Al was my righthand man (literally!) at the slack key workshop at this year's NWFolklife Festival, Q&A, and demos as well as giving historical background. I learned at PSGW that sitting in a circle is better than in rows. Something happens when people are put into rows.
Go to Top of Page

Pua Kai
Ha`aha`a

USA
1007 Posts

Posted - 09/01/2007 :  09:45:37 AM  Show Profile
Here's the deal:
If you're traveling someplace where there are taropatchers, contact them about when you know you'll be traveling and then there would be a good chance that folks there would come together to kanikapila, get to know you, and take you to local spots for Hawaiian music and kau kau.
When you see Kanikapilas announced and you'd like to attend, let the host know and for you or small group, you'll probably be offered accommodations.
Yes, Don tried hard to get folks together in LV. There are a lot of "deals" on airfare and lodging there. Basically, SCSKS are the only ones who showed up. And we had a great time. When I went to Seattle for my nephew's wedding, it was terrific to get together at Jean's and meet other "locals", some coming 2-3 hrs on ferries to get there. It took me 4 hrs at the border which was totally unexpected, so I still missed some folks.
And guess what - I met Jean at AMC! And I met the Garth David up in Canada where I was visiting at George's workshop. And when I went to a wedding in San Jose, I was able to visit RJS, stay with Julie, see folks again from both camps and other workshops.
And through taropatch, a comment made by slkho led to a comment of mine being picked up by Kiwini only to find out that we are related! (through marriage on my part), and also that HapaKid and I grew up hanging around Torrance airport and know many of the same folks.
It's a small world that we get to enjoy!!
Aloha no,
auntie nancy
Go to Top of Page

Lawrence
Ha`aha`a

USA
1597 Posts

Posted - 09/01/2007 :  10:47:25 AM  Show Profile
quote:
You coulda been a little more diplomatic at first.
I suppose you are right about that one. Being an Engineer, it is an occupational characteristic to be analytical and pedantic. A disease shared by physicists as well (right Reid).

If you are ever in the Bay Area you are welcome in my house, and I will try to read less (or is it more deeply ) into some of your pidgin.

Mahope Kākou...

Edited by - Lawrence on 09/01/2007 10:48:08 AM
Go to Top of Page

noeau
Ha`aha`a

USA
1105 Posts

Posted - 09/01/2007 :  10:52:10 AM  Show Profile
Eia no a he mea pololei kela! And peace and aloha to you all. Sometimes I'm too sensitive. Don't mean to be thin skinned I just want to be loved. Before I travel I'll check it out. I also have a spouse to consider and she should not be dragged to every jam I attend. Although she is my most supportive fan and patron and audience.
I don't always travel with instruments. New places tend to turn me into a tourist and an instrument is too much to carry around. We love to shop if you know what I mean. Someday I'll go Kahumoku's guitar camp as well. Since I am from Hawai'i I won't be a tourist there so I can actually concentrate on music, maybe.

Edited by - noeau on 09/01/2007 10:53:34 AM
Go to Top of Page

Lawrence
Ha`aha`a

USA
1597 Posts

Posted - 09/01/2007 :  11:44:57 AM  Show Profile
quote:
Al was my righthand man (literally!) at the slack key workshop at this year's NWFolklife Festival,
Excellent! I was up at NWFolkLife a few years ago just to check out the Hawaiian action. Probably saw some of yoouze guize (NJ speak) at the time. Keep up the good woik.

Mahope Kākou...

Edited by - Lawrence on 09/01/2007 11:52:07 AM
Go to Top of Page

slipry1
Ha`aha`a

USA
1511 Posts

Posted - 09/01/2007 :  2:49:57 PM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Lawrence

quote:
I suppose you are right about that one. Being an Engineer, it is an occupational characteristic to be analytical and pedantic. A disease shared by physicists as well (right Reid).

If you are ever in the Bay Area you are welcome in my house, and I will try to read less (or is it more deeply ) into some of your pidgin.

Oh, ewa! I, too am both phyicist and engineer. I have a button that I wera, though that says "Recovering Analytic". Got 'im turned off most a time, 'do.

keaka
Go to Top of Page

slipry1
Ha`aha`a

USA
1511 Posts

Posted - 09/01/2007 :  2:52:11 PM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by slipry1

quote:

quote:

Oh, ewa! I, too am both phyicist and engineer. I have a button that I wera, though that says "Recovering Analytic". Got 'im turned off most a time, 'do.

Also no can spell no moa!sb 'wear'

keaka
Go to Top of Page

Retro
Ahonui

USA
2368 Posts

Posted - 09/02/2007 :  08:32:12 AM  Show Profile  Visit Retro's Homepage
quote:

I was up at NWFolkLife a few years ago just to check out the Hawaiian action. Probably saw some of yoouze guize (NJ speak) at the time. Keep up the good woik.
Lawrence, I hope you get a chance to come again (and I am certain you will let us know, if you do.) I've been involved with Folklife almost every year since 1985; first as a radio producer for 14 years, then (after two years away) as a performer with a halau and other Hawaiian acts every year since. If you went to the big hula show, you would likely have seen me, too. (And if anyone has the sadly-out-of-print CD of ki ho`alu from the 1993 festival - I produced the broadcasts that most of the recordings come from. I sure hope Folklife can re-issue it some day.)

In person, I suspect there would be a`ole pilikia between you, Al, and any other folks here. As Nancy said, we should be sure to keep in touch with each other when we travel - we're all about the music on this crazy bus.
Go to Top of Page

Lawrence
Ha`aha`a

USA
1597 Posts

Posted - 09/02/2007 :  12:47:00 PM  Show Profile
Well...

I WILL be up there again sometime, and now I have folks (pun intended) to seek out.

When Al mentioned a "convention", I thought he was talking about someting like this:

http://www.hsga.org/new_design/Joliet2007InfoPage.htm

(from the taropatch steel guitar forum)

Now that is a real convention perhaps, and maybe someday, we slackers can mount such an affair. Of course (like wcerto hints at) it would take someone with a lot of organizational skills and a lot of "free" time, to put such a thing together.

I am not in a position to do such a thing right now, since I already have a 60hr per week (but good paying) job, and I am also committed to an addtional 200 hours per year on other (Hawaiian music related) voluteer projects, but still (like Al dreams of) I dream of a Slack Key Convention.

Mahope Kākou...
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 4 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.11 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000