Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Talk Story
 Trivia Question
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Mika ele
Ha`aha`a

USA
1493 Posts

Posted - 08/14/2007 :  11:42:16 AM  Show Profile
Just learned this interesting fact on the Territorial Airwaves web site. See if you can guess the correct answer without looking it up there.

Which came first to Hawai'i? The ukulele or baseball?

E nana, e ho'olohe. E pa'a ka waha, e hana ka lima.

wcerto
Ahonui

USA
5052 Posts

Posted - 08/14/2007 :  12:12:09 PM  Show Profile
Baseball. I'm thinking it was maybe around 1850 or thereabouts. I love baseball. (Omar Vizquel is the best shortstop EVER).

Me ke aloha
Malama pono,
Wanda

Edited by - wcerto on 08/14/2007 12:15:25 PM
Go to Top of Page

LovinLK
Lokahi

USA
112 Posts

Posted - 08/14/2007 :  2:35:35 PM  Show Profile  Visit LovinLK's Homepage  Send LovinLK a Yahoo! Message
Sounds like a trick question. When did the portagee come to Hawai'i? When was baseball invented? Narrowing down those dates would give the clue.

Lovin' Lee is my favorite pasttime!!

Go to Top of Page

da_joka
Lokahi

361 Posts

Posted - 08/14/2007 :  3:24:28 PM  Show Profile
Probably has someting to do wit da time da missionaries first made it to Hawai`i too ...

If can, can. If no can, no can.
Go to Top of Page

markwitz
`Olu`olu

USA
841 Posts

Posted - 08/14/2007 :  3:34:55 PM  Show Profile
Ardolino, Frank R. 1941-
Missionaries, Cartwright, and Spalding: The Development of Baseball in Nineteenth-Century Hawaii
NINE: A Journal of Baseball History and Culture - Volume 10, Number 2, Spring 2002, pp. 27-45

University of Nebraska Press

NINE: A Journal of Baseball History and Culture 10.2 (2002) 27-45 _________________________________________________________________ [Access article in PDF] Missionaries, Cartwright, and Spalding The Development of Baseball in Nineteenth-Century Hawaii Frank Ardolino _________________________________________________________________ The most extensive and reliable records available for the study of the development of baseball in nineteenth-century Hawaii are the contemporary accounts of games played between 1867 and 1890 as recorded in the local newspapers and Punahou School's newspapers and tally book. These records provide the dates and scores of the games; the names of the teams, players, and fields; and, occasionally, descriptions of the size of the crowds and the social events accompanying the games. In addition to these factual records, there is a short memoir written by W.R. Castle in 1924, which, while furnishing useful information about the early form of the game and its participants, is not as reliable. Finally, there are a number of modern journalistic articles on nineteenth-century baseball in Hawaii that, because they lack historical support for many of their "facts," often perpetuate myths, misconceptions, and misinformation. What exists then is a crazy quilt of bits and pieces of factual information coupled with a fallible memoir and journalistic nostalgia. This essay will attempt to provide a cohesive treatment of the development of baseball in nineteenth-century Hawaii that will transcend the limitations of the records. However, it must be recognized from the outset that I will remain conjectural in those areas where gaps, ambiguities, inconsistencies, and improbabilities in the records prove insoluble. To write this type of essay requires relating the records, such as they are, to the history of the period. With this method, it is possible to posit three...

This scholorly essay says as early as 1867 for baseball in Hawaii.

"The music of the Hawaiians, the most fascinating in the world, is still in my ears and
haunts me sleeping and waking."
Mark Twain
Go to Top of Page

markwitz
`Olu`olu

USA
841 Posts

Posted - 08/14/2007 :  3:41:42 PM  Show Profile
Further research shows the following... Around 1849 for baseball's start in Hawai'i

From The Hawaiian Historical Society

The Father of Baseball

The man who really invented baseball spent the last forty-four years of his long life in Hawai‘i and laid out Hawai‘i’s first baseball diamond, now called Cartwright Field, in Makiki.

On his plaque in the Baseball Hall of Fame in Cooperstown, N.Y., Alexander Joy Cartwright is called “the Father of Modern Baseball.” He is credited with establishing the bases ninety feet apart and with decreeing nine innings in a game, three outs in an outing, and nine players to a side. Cartwright also organized the first baseball club, the New York Knickerbockers, and officiated at the first game under his new rules, in 1845.

In 1849, Cartwright decided to join his brother in China, where he was a tea merchant. Cartwright made his way across the country, introducing the new game of baseball as he went, and took ship in California for China. He discovered that he was prone to violent bouts of seasickness, and when the ship reached Honolulu, Cartwright got off and vowed never to set foot on the high seas again.

Cartwright spent the rest of his life in Hawai‘i, teaching baseball and operating various enterprises. He founded the Honolulu Fire Department and was its chief for ten years. A friend of the Hawaiian royal family, he filled several government posts and helped establish Queen’s Hospital, the Hawai‘i Library System, and the Pacific Club.

Cartwright’s life has been described in the book The Man Who Invented Baseball by Harold Peterson. Cartwright died in 1893 and is buried in Nu‘uanu Cemetery, where his grave has been visited by many famous players of the game he invented, including Babe Ruth.

By Jim Becker
Hawai‘i History Moments

© Copyright 1994 Hawaiian Historical Society

"The music of the Hawaiians, the most fascinating in the world, is still in my ears and
haunts me sleeping and waking."
Mark Twain
Go to Top of Page

alika207
Ha`aha`a

USA
1260 Posts

Posted - 08/15/2007 :  01:48:30 AM  Show Profile  Visit alika207's Homepage  Send alika207 an AOL message  Click to see alika207's MSN Messenger address  Send alika207 a Yahoo! Message
Hmm... baseball?

'Alika

He kehau ho'oma'ema'e ke aloha.

'Alika / Polinahe
Go to Top of Page

Mika ele
Ha`aha`a

USA
1493 Posts

Posted - 08/15/2007 :  07:21:56 AM  Show Profile
Here is what you can find on the Territorial Airwaves web site. I assume it is accurate. In any case, my first guess would have been the ukulele. I have never been very good at history!
-----------------------
Aug 22, 1879

Ukulele
The ship, the "Ravenscraig" arrived in Honolulu harbor on 8/22/1879, delivering the 2nd group of Portuguese immigrants. On board was the "braguinha" and musicians to play it. The ukulele would soon evolve from this instrument.

Aug 28, 1867

1st Organized Baseball Game Played in Hawaii
Pioneers 11 - Pacifics 9. 1st organized game of baseball played on field makai of Punahou college.

E nana, e ho'olohe. E pa'a ka waha, e hana ka lima.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.14 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000