Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Talk Story
 Do You Collect Vintage Hawaiian LP's
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

markwitz
`Olu`olu

USA
841 Posts

Posted - 08/15/2007 :  12:11:17 PM  Show Profile
Just kinda curious as to how many people here actively look for and collect "Vintage" (let's just say pre 1980) Hawaiian LP's.

I started listening to Hawaiian Music ever since my first trip to Maui in the mid 80's. Each trip after that saw my collection of cassettes and later CD's grow with what was popular at the time of each trip.

But it wasn't until early this year, when I stumbled upon Bill Wynne's "Ho'olohe Hou" podcasts that I started getting exposed to the older stuff, like Bill Kaiwa, Marlene Sai, Lena Machado, The Kahauanu Lake Trio and a long list of others. Listening to this older music actually makes me appreciate the contemporary music even more, because I can feel the generational connection. When Auntie Genoa sings a duet with Raiatea on a new CD...well...how special is that!!

So now I spend waaaay too much time and money looking for old LP's and transfering them to CD (cause my vintage turntable skips a little in the car).

Any body else out there that has the same disease that I have?

By the way, Bill is starting his "Ho'olohe Hou" program again this
Sunday at www.50thstateradio.com at 9:30 am pst. It's really worth listening to it, if you want to get familiar with the older Hawaiian Music.

"The music of the Hawaiians, the most fascinating in the world, is still in my ears and
haunts me sleeping and waking."
Mark Twain

wcerto
Ahonui

USA
5052 Posts

Posted - 08/15/2007 :  12:24:12 PM  Show Profile
I have only purchased one vinyl record - Slack Key Giants. Got it from E-Bay, but I don't like E-Bay. It is not really "vintage". The older stuff we have is all reissues on CD.

I have bought some vintage sheet music, though, also from E-Bay. I'm not certain what I am going to to with the sheet music. Maybe frame it and hang on the ewall, although I am afraid of sunlight and oxidation. I also bought some quote older music books from e-bay, because I was searching for piano music for Hawai`i Aloha. I have a Clavinova and I wanted to be able to play Hawai`i Aloha and made it sound like church music. I'm not good enough of a musician on anything to be able to start with just the chords and figure out the tune. I would also like some vintage art or to be able to afford Herb Kane prints. I love Herb Kane's art..so absolutely detailed, almost like a photo of the scenes. Very helpful for understanding history; being able to picture what a heiau looked like; seeing people at their every day chores.

Me ke aloha
Malama pono,
Wanda
Go to Top of Page

hapakid
Luna Ho`omalu

USA
1533 Posts

Posted - 08/15/2007 :  2:49:11 PM  Show Profile  Visit hapakid's Homepage
I collect older (pre-1970) LPs when I can find them cheap at local second-hand stores. The gems are when you find a great uncredited artist featured on one of the many generic Polynesian albums of the era. Or even to find good vocal versions of Hawaiian standards. Otherwise you end up with endless instrumental versions of Moon over Mankoora on the vibraphone. Blech.
Jesse Tinsley
Go to Top of Page

Russell Letson
`Olu`olu

USA
504 Posts

Posted - 08/15/2007 :  2:51:58 PM  Show Profile  Visit Russell Letson's Homepage
I started out with vinyl quite a few years before 1980--first the Gabby Band album, then whatever I could dig out of Goodwill bins and used-record stores. When, much later, I started filling in the numerous holes in the collection, I turned to eBay, where I've had pretty good luck finding LPs I was looking for--the Sandwich Isle Band, the Sons' "Folk Music of Hawai`i" with the books, LPs featuring Atta, the Sonny albums that haven't been reissued, and so on. Much of the crucial slack key has been reissued, but even for these I've found it very useful to have the original LPs for the liner notes, production info, and so on. Then there's the stuff that hasn't been reissued--big chunks of the Sons; the Waikiki and Hula LPs that supplied the tracks for those "Best of" compilations; lots of albums on which Atta or Sonny were sidemen; and huge quantities of club music that is no longer seen as cool enough to remaster. Right now, for example, there's a lot of five Bill Keawa LPs that includes the one with the Sons as the backing band--a really nice album:

Bill Kaiwa lot of 5 Hawaiian LPs

There's also a copy of the very first Tradewinds release--"Ukulele," by Mungo, which is more vaudeville than trad in repertory, but it's an historically significant item. You have to sort through a lot of Elvis and Bing Crosby and stuff that you can find at any salvage story, but it's worth the effort for the gems.
Go to Top of Page

Basil Henriques
Lokahi

United Kingdom
225 Posts

Posted - 08/15/2007 :  3:46:25 PM  Show Profile  Visit Basil Henriques's Homepage
Here is a good guide to collectors world wide :-

Collectors Guide

Basil

Go to Top of Page

markwitz
`Olu`olu

USA
841 Posts

Posted - 08/15/2007 :  3:56:09 PM  Show Profile
Mahalo Basil, I actually have a copy of this collection of Collectors. Very eclectic group.

"The music of the Hawaiians, the most fascinating in the world, is still in my ears and
Mark Twain
Go to Top of Page

alika207
Ha`aha`a

USA
1260 Posts

Posted - 08/15/2007 :  4:04:53 PM  Show Profile  Visit alika207's Homepage  Send alika207 an AOL message  Click to see alika207's MSN Messenger address  Send alika207 a Yahoo! Message
'A'ole, my parents don't even have a record player anymore!

'Alika

He kehau ho'oma'ema'e ke aloha.

'Alika / Polinahe
Go to Top of Page

markwitz
`Olu`olu

USA
841 Posts

Posted - 08/15/2007 :  4:12:57 PM  Show Profile
I hear ya. I had to go out and buy a "new" old Dual turntable. It was worth the effort.

Mark Twain

Edited by - markwitz on 08/15/2007 4:18:34 PM
Go to Top of Page

Basil Henriques
Lokahi

United Kingdom
225 Posts

Posted - 08/15/2007 :  4:32:30 PM  Show Profile  Visit Basil Henriques's Homepage
quote:
Very eclectic group

Possibly, maybe eclectic and heterogeneous at the same time, anyway thanks for the comment Norman, it was Pat and myself that published it, Pat did all the typesetting in Quark and Photoshop and I did all the printing. Same as the magazine, it's a labour of love and a hobby of ours.

BTW That LOOOOOONG url is making the post VERY hard to follow !!
Maybe if I don an Asbestos suit and then suggest that the poster uses the
[url=" etc protocol, am I out of order suggesting that ?

Edited by - Basil Henriques on 08/15/2007 4:37:49 PM
Go to Top of Page

markwitz
`Olu`olu

USA
841 Posts

Posted - 08/15/2007 :  4:45:26 PM  Show Profile
Not at all. Not helping my dyslexia one bit!! Maybe Russell would consider deleting it. Just the url that is. I think ebay will survive without it.

Thank you Russell. Very kind of you to do that for us.

Mark Twain

Edited by - markwitz on 08/15/2007 6:09:44 PM
Go to Top of Page

Russell Letson
`Olu`olu

USA
504 Posts

Posted - 08/15/2007 :  6:24:15 PM  Show Profile  Visit Russell Letson's Homepage
'Tweren't me--I'm just a writer-geek. I suspect an admin with actual HTML skills took care of that for us. (Still no bids on those LPs, I see. . . .)
Go to Top of Page

markwitz
`Olu`olu

USA
841 Posts

Posted - 08/15/2007 :  6:37:37 PM  Show Profile
I have 4 out of the 5. Bill Kaiwa is really great.

Mark Twain
Go to Top of Page

LovinLK
Lokahi

USA
112 Posts

Posted - 08/18/2007 :  7:28:58 PM  Show Profile  Visit LovinLK's Homepage  Send LovinLK a Yahoo! Message
I have quite a few from the 70s but like certain artists and their sound. I don't buy stuff just to have it. I have to like what I'm buying. Like I have all Makaha Sons, Sons of Hawaii, Moe Keale, Kawai Hewett, Olomana, Gabby but if I don't like the group, I don't get the record. I've spent a lot of hours at the different Jelly's stores looking for music. The last time I was back, they had mostly CDs and not the heaps of old vinyl they used to have.

Lovin' Lee is my favorite pasttime!!

Go to Top of Page

markwitz
`Olu`olu

USA
841 Posts

Posted - 08/19/2007 :  4:36:19 PM  Show Profile
I agree Marguerite, I pass on a lot of stuff I see if I'm not familair with it. But if I hear a piece of vintage music played on Bill Wynne's "Ho'olohe Hou" program on www.50thstateradio.com or on "Territorial Airwaves" I try to take note of the name, then do a little searching on the internet to try and find some sound clips at places like Mele.com, then I kinda know if I'm gonna like it if I see it at a used record store or on ebay. It's a lot of fun.

Mark Twain
Go to Top of Page

LovinLK
Lokahi

USA
112 Posts

Posted - 08/20/2007 :  3:02:26 PM  Show Profile  Visit LovinLK's Homepage  Send LovinLK a Yahoo! Message
One place I've found some newer music is when the library has its book sales. They also have CDs. I not too long ago got Willie K and Amy's CD. Or ... I'll look for an artist on Limewire and download the song I want. I may download a few and if I don't like the song, I delete it. I wish I could convert all my vinyl to MP3s but don't have the equipment to do it.

If anyone has Frank Hewett's "Ka Wai Lehua 'A'ala Ka Honua" from his Makalapua 'Oe album, I'd sure like to get an MP3 of that. That's one of my favorite albums. I have all of Kawai's music, but that first album of his was the best. He did teach us some of the songs from his second album in class.

Lovin' Lee is my favorite pasttime!!

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.14 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000